The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Me parent <••••••••hated, actually hated Inside out. So freak'n depressing and a few moments of JOY like Wonderful Life doesn't sway me. I'm more a Toy Story, Monster Inc kinda movie going Gal.
I can certainly understand it, that's how I feel about Up, but Inside Out has done a lot of good with helping kids who have depression or other mental health issues and even just bringing awareness to mental health.

I've mentioned before that I've had chronic depression, as well as Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I really had no idea until I took psychology in college and thought, "Oh good grief, this sounds like me." I think if Inside Out had been around when I was younger, either I might have picked up on it or my parents might have thought about it.

It also sometimes helps me when I'm having a bad day to watch Inside Out, and then I kind of visualize each of my emotions like they are in the film, and I'm better able to deal with them. It's strange, yes, but it helps.

Even psychologists agree https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo.../201506/inside-out-emotional-truths-way-pixar

donaldtoo

Yup.. Merida gets consistently 40C Celsius with way higher thermal feeling.
Right now it isnt that bad.. 37C highest and 34C average thanks to the some clouds and thunderstorms recently.

If that number of 62C (143.6F) is correct, that's pretty insane...!!! :confused:
I looked up the official hottest static air and heat index temps ever recorded on earth...
Static air temp record:
56.7C (134F) at Greenland Ranch in Death Valley, California on July 10th, 1913.
Heat index temp record:
78C (172F) in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8th 2003...!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :jawdrop:

I remember the Death Valley temp from reading about it when I was still a kiddo, but, that heat index is a new one on me that I'd never heard of before...!!!!! :confused:

Cesar R M

If that number of 62C (143.6F) is correct, that's pretty insane...!!! :confused:
I looked up the official hottest static air and heat index temps ever recorded on earth...
Static air temp record:
56.7C (134F) at Greenland Ranch in Death Valley, California on July 10th, 1913.
Heat index temp record:
78C (172F) in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8th 2003...!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :jawdrop:

I remember the Death Valley temp from reading about it when I was still a kiddo, but, that heat index is a new one on me that I'd never heard of before...!!!!! :confused:
Remember that those temps are REAL temps, not thermal feeling temps.. the thermal could have been way higher in those examples.
and 40C vs 56C is a huge difference that can be easy death for some groups.

The real temps of Merida hover between 38C to 45C.

donaldtoo

Well if there was a retail store I would work at if necessary it would be Disney Store. I always loved getting greeted by the CM's. It always brought a smile to my face. :) I remember when they actually sold cells and would just stare and hope to be able to afford them one day.

I hope there are no more economic downturns for you. Just keep hoping for those people to go into your firms doors and asking for those $10 mil plans.;)

It was an interesting gig and a true learning experience! No two ways about, it was work, and we worked our tails off. Anyone that was hired thinkin' it was gonna' be all Pixie Dust and sparkles all the time didn't last very long. But, we also did indeed create a lot of Disney Magic for guests of all ages and abilities, both individually and as a team...!!! :happy:
I remember, more than one time, a child entering the Store when I would be greeting and exclaiming "Disney World!!!!!!! :joyfull:" Sooo darn cute...! :)
I remember when they sold cells, too.
I actually own 5 Disney pieces (although, not cells :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: ;)).
I have 2 original (not copies of the photostats) Donald Duck model sheet photostats used by imagineers back in the early '40's, as well as one of Pluto, and one of Cleo's (the goldfish from Pinocchio) bowl, table/stand and partial Geppetto's house interior. The 5th piece is an original partial animation drawing of Donald Duck from a 1982 cartoon. :)

Thanks about that last part! :)
I sure hope they keep walkin' through our firms doors wantin' those multi-million-dollar compounds...!!! :hilarious:
Speaking of which ;), I started rough floor plan sketches on another monster last week. I forgot to take pics of the final rough presentation sketches I did for the client (I finished them a little after lunch yesterday), but here is a shot of some rough stuff...

image.jpeg

It's gonna' be pretty off-the-chain.
Just a few highlights...
2 guest suites that are essentially multi-room apartments. A kids area that will include a movie/video game space, multiple game tables, and down a half level (the main level of the house will drop off substantially at the back with the topography) to an area that will be for tumbling and gymnastics and such. A pool that will have a spa (of course), a beach, a jumping rock, a splash area somewhere near it, a grotto where you can sit and see the backside of water :D ;), and a water slide that you take down to a lap pool behind and below the main pool from steps to a platform above the grotto.

It's just nuts the stuff we're doin' these days :confused:, but, I ain't complainin' 'cause the bills are bein' paid...!!! :happy: ;) :)

donaldtoo

Remember that those temps are REAL temps, not thermal feeling temps.. the thermal could have been way higher in those examples.
and 40C vs 56C is a huge difference that can be easy death for some groups.

The real temps of Merida hover between 38C to 45C.

By "real" do you mean "heat index" or "static air" temps...? Just trying to clarify. Either way, it's all pretty darn hot...!!! :confused:

Songbird76

Sympathy like. I was hoping everything was settled and you would have been home for Easter. Do you at least have a bike you can use? License? Can you use your brother's address? You may be able to mail yourself something and get a notarized letter from him depending on the state for proof of residence. Good luck and I hope everything gets sorted soon.
Nope, no bike or anything. Not practical here. Like, my dad's ranch is 35 miles out of town. Can't really get there by bike. And they have cracked down a LOT on what is acceptable proof of residence. I thought I could just use my bank statements that use my brother's address, but it has to be utilities statements because anyone can have something sent to any address...utilities in your name indicate an actual residence.

Cesar R M

By "real" do you mean "heat index" or "static air" temps...? Just trying to clarify. Either way, it's all pretty darn hot...!!! :confused:
most probably air temps. aka sensor temps on meteo stations.
while "thermal feeling" is more related to heat index.

sites like weather channel usually say "feels like" temps.
Aka humidity can make this feel way worse because you cant sweat correctly.

donaldtoo

I agree. The only ones we had in the malls near us all shut down years ago. The one time we went in one on vacation a couple of years back in another state, they only had kid's clothes. I always loved shopping there before we went on a Disney vacation.

Yep, the Stores are definitely a shadow of their former selves. I could go into details of the decline in just the 4+ short years I worked there, but, there's no point.
Just sad.
But, although it's not nearly like it used to be, there's still a little bit of Disney Magic/fix there...if ever so small compared to what it used to be... :cyclops:

BAChicagoGal

Time for me to put my parakeets to bed. Since they sleep where I sleep, I don't/won't stay up as late as I used to. So in turn I get up earlier.

I use that pet friendly ant spray too. However, not to prevent them, but to chase them away. SO far, I haven't had to spray any. I am keeping the fingers crossed. I don't want to spray near the birds, if I don't have to.

Today, we lost our box turtle. He climbed out of the basket my husband had him in, on our sunny back porch. Thankfully, he fell in a garbage can, and did not hurt himself.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So do you remember Ford chewing gum?
64c928c06c4a2dc15fa8a305314faa48.jpg

or remember Disney's Pluto the Collapsing Dog?
19861c775a064c7d44a340c751837191.jpg

Or the day you could mail a letter or make a phone call on most major corners?
8e8ffb918c224c5e96403da0b67a3a0e.jpg

Or the day you could purchase cigarettes as easily as a bottle of water?
e20a91242fe4090390be57ecb3b61796.jpg

Did you play KerPlunk? (I still have mine)
bf5dc0d41faf5ff71138ba47530fb9a9.jpg

Do you remember the creepity Mr. Clock from Capt. Kangaroo?
3071e4eb81ba6f6977e63792b9d53838.jpg

Do you remember making hard plastic labels?
d84e55f073784ae26f674b38c1ac008d.jpg

Did your home have this doll house during your childhood?
My Sis did. (Me I liked guns, GI Joe and baseball more)
d1343b9e624a83bb23d2ca7c5a2ded63.jpg

Gabe1

I agree. The only ones we had in the malls near us all shut down years ago. The one time we went in one on vacation a couple of years back in another state, they only had kid's clothes. I always loved shopping there before we went on a Disney vacation.

Us too. I really don't get The Disney Stores business model. There is such a strong market of fans out there, majority of states and they have limited their demographic to very young children. Why? Don't they pay attention to what we adults purchase on vacations? Even a freak'n antenna topper rack only takes a few square feet and they would be constantly sold out.

Oy.

We do stop in frequently on our trips to Wisconsin at the Disneyland outlet in Gurnee Illinois. They tend to have more of selection for adults. Marginally though.

Gabe1

I can certainly understand it, that's how I feel about Up, but Inside Out has done a lot of good with helping kids who have depression or other mental health issues and even just bringing awareness to mental health.

I've mentioned before that I've had chronic depression, as well as Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I really had no idea until I took psychology in college and thought, "Oh good grief, this sounds like me." I think if Inside Out had been around when I was younger, either I might have picked up on it or my parents might have thought about it.

It also sometimes helps me when I'm having a bad day to watch Inside Out, and then I kind of visualize each of my emotions like they are in the film, and I'm better able to deal with them. It's strange, yes, but it helps.

Even psychologists agree https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo.../201506/inside-out-emotional-truths-way-pixar

I understand, oh boy do I understand psychological assets Inside Out had for many with conditions that were able to relate to Inside Out, I could likely assign many of these to multiple members of my inlaw family. That said this wasn't marketed as a special education film, if it had I would have likely never have went to the theater to see it. We had many films growing up, to explain life to kids from Bobby grows facial hair to Suzy looks different why don't I kinda films.

I really hated Inside Out, I went, I saw, I was not entertained.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom