The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Just popping in again. We had the funeral yesterday. It went well and it was really great to hear stories about my dad...the major thing was about my dad's gift giving. My dad wasn't really good at showing emotion, so his way of letting you know he cared about you was to give you something and sometimes he just decided you needed something and he was going to be the one to give it to you, whether it was kitchen knives or a lighted drawing board (for a 3 year old). One person didn't really even know who he was...she was at the feed store and he overheard her name or something...his neighbor's son had just gotten married and it was his wife and he decided she needed a pink....paddle rattle? That's what it sounded like she said, but I don't know what that is and I might not have heard right. But she was leaving and the sales clerk came running out after her and said she must be dad's friend, he had insisted she have this. She didn't even know him yet. And another said she had a skunk problem and her husband wanted her to shoot them, but she's small and the gun he had was too big...several years later, my dad shows up with a gun and ammunition for her to shoot the skunks. And there were SO many stories involving ice cream that we served ice cream after the funeral. We had asked people for stories for the guy doing his eulogy and so many involved ice cream that we decided we needed to send him off in style.

So... @figmentfan423 if you remember, I told you my dad had a thing about buying knives...and he had given me about 40 or so and I gave them to friends and family. I gave you the last ones I had that I wasn't using. I was so happy they went to a good home and weren't just sitting in a box somewhere. Well, my dad's friend found 3 boxes of knives in the house last week and my brother and his husband went out on Monday to clean some stuff out and this is what THEY found...so this is MINUS the 3 boxes his friend found, so this is about 2/3 of the knives found so far...perhaps you can understand why I wanted so badly to get rid of the ones I had and I wasn't worried about getting more if I needed them (everything NOT in the car is knives):
View attachment 198506

Glad you had a chance to check in. Been thinking of ya. Big hugs. Are you state side for awhile or heading home?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Again, remember it all...! :)

As to the first one, I don't know how much pertinent information (as in an address, SS#, etc.) could have been gathered from that. :cyclops:

As to the second one...

View attachment 198505

;)

Paper grocery bags, of course.

Manual car door knobs, same.

And, yes...the beeeeeeehind burnin' slide...!!!!! :joyfull:
When my pop worked for IBM in No Cal, way back in the day, they had a playground on property with one just like this...sooooo cool...!!!!! :joyfull: :)

View attachment 198507
I remember those! Fun times

Figgy1

Don't people give out Easter baskets anymore? When I was a kid, my mother always had baskets filled with Easter candy for us. We didn't get any additional gifts with the candy. (Your boys don't realize how lucky they are!) ;)

Actually, looking back on it now, I didn't feel deprived at all--I just remember stuffing my face with chocolate rabbits and jelly beans, and feeling absolutely euphoric over the experience! :joyfull: :hungry:
There's a reason they don't get candy, allergies. All my little guy can have is plain dark chocolate(dairy free). My dh is on a diet so none for him this year. They don't mind only getting only one chocolate bar each because they'd rather get movies and such, last year it was Disney dollars(yep I still call gift cards dollars) The best part it's easy on me when shopping. :joyfull:

Figgy1

Oh, I get all that.
Back in the day they were called service stations. Everything from filling your tank, to the many things you mentioned, and even minor to major car repairs. And, they usually had a Coke machine, and a gumball machine, and maybe a snack machine, or a combination thereof. Obviously, nothing like gas/convenience stores today.
It's obvious I don't have a problem pumping my own gas, inspecting our vehicles, or doing many of the maintenance and repair tasks I can still reasonably do.
Others don't even care about how a car works, and don't have any interest in taking care of any of those things themselves, and that's just fine, too.
These days, repair shops specialize in the repair aspect, gas/convenience stores are a place to make a quick stop to gas up and get ice for your beer, pop, etc., and then some.
As far as checkin' the tires and under the hood, all those quick oil change places do a "27 point" inspection, or some such thing, when you bring your car in.
As we all know, good or bad, times change. ;)

Here's a brief article I found that covers a bit of it all...

http://calexis.com/blog/2015/01/18/whatever-happened-to-the-service-station/
It's not that I can't I just hate doing it. My first experience having to pump my own was on my way to a "fancy" family dinner party just outside Philly and I was dressed up(fancy dress and heels) I guess that left a bad taste in my mouth

Figgy1

Oh, and BTW...
Youngest DDs car problem turned out to be more than just a thermostat, to the tune of $1,100+. :bored: Thermostat is part of it, but, the main issue was apparently a water pump failure/leak. Also, some fan relay switches, and the coolant all has to be flushed because this new particular kind gels when it overheats. There were a coupla' other things, but, I don't remember much of the conversation after a certain point 'cause I started to go numb. :cyclops:
But, the fact that the engine overall wasn't damaged by the overheat was a bright point...! ;)
As I've posted before, I have no reason not to trust these guys, as we've had vehicles in many times for what we thought might be serious issues, and they turned out to be minor.
But, over $3K in the past few months in car repairs is it bit of a 2x4 across the face... :in pain:

View attachment 198502

;)
Hugs

Cesar R M

Well color me curious, how have you not done the Tiki Birds or the Jungle Cruise or played on Toy story mania? You love video games.
I DONT go to a theme park to "play video games" :|
I sit my butt all the day infront of the computer while working lol, sometimes I have WAY TOO FREE TIME while I await customer issues (monitoring servers is boring as hell sometimes). Also Jungle cruise = a lot of speaking. It all depends on you listening to get the jokes of the skipper to make the trip enjoyable.
As for Tikki, all the times I tried to go, it was either down or with an insane line.

Same issue with Dinosaur, I was NEVER able to ride. Always down when I went. Despite fastpasses too.

Figgy1

I DONT go to a theme park to "play video games" :|
I sit my butt all the day infront of the computer while working lol, sometimes I have WAY TOO FREE TIME while I await customer issues (monitoring servers is boring as hell sometimes). Also Jungle cruise = a lot of speaking. It all depends on you listening to get the jokes of the skipper to make the trip enjoyable.
As for Tikki, all the times I tried to go, it was either down or with an insane line.

Same issue with Dinosaur, I was NEVER able to ride. Always down when I went. Despite fastpasses too.
Sympathy like. As far as JC it's worth riding even if you don't have a good skipper:joyfull:

Cesar R M

Just popping in again. We had the funeral yesterday. It went well and it was really great to hear stories about my dad...the major thing was about my dad's gift giving. My dad wasn't really good at showing emotion, so his way of letting you know he cared about you was to give you something and sometimes he just decided you needed something and he was going to be the one to give it to you, whether it was kitchen knives or a lighted drawing board (for a 3 year old). One person didn't really even know who he was...she was at the feed store and he overheard her name or something...his neighbor's son had just gotten married and it was his wife and he decided she needed a pink....paddle rattle? That's what it sounded like she said, but I don't know what that is and I might not have heard right. But she was leaving and the sales clerk came running out after her and said she must be dad's friend, he had insisted she have this. She didn't even know him yet. And another said she had a skunk problem and her husband wanted her to shoot them, but she's small and the gun he had was too big...several years later, my dad shows up with a gun and ammunition for her to shoot the skunks. And there were SO many stories involving ice cream that we served ice cream after the funeral. We had asked people for stories for the guy doing his eulogy and so many involved ice cream that we decided we needed to send him off in style.

So... @figmentfan423 if you remember, I told you my dad had a thing about buying knives...and he had given me about 40 or so and I gave them to friends and family. I gave you the last ones I had that I wasn't using. I was so happy they went to a good home and weren't just sitting in a box somewhere. Well, my dad's friend found 3 boxes of knives in the house last week and my brother and his husband went out on Monday to clean some stuff out and this is what THEY found...so this is MINUS the 3 boxes his friend found, so this is about 2/3 of the knives found so far...perhaps you can understand why I wanted so badly to get rid of the ones I had and I wasn't worried about getting more if I needed them (everything NOT in the car is knives):
View attachment 198506
thats insane! XD (the amount of knives )

Figgy1

View attachment 198506
Prayers and pixie dust. THNX again for the knives they each get used a few times a week:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

View attachment 198506

That must have been comforting to hear the stories about your dad. Sounds like deep down, he had a big heart and was generous. Condolences to you and your family.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

View attachment 198506

Again so sorry about your dad, it sounds like you gave him a nice tribute. Any particular reason he was so into knives?

MOXOMUMD

There's a reason they don't get candy, allergies. All my little guy can have is plain dark chocolate(dairy free). My dh is on a diet so none for him this year. They don't mind only getting only one chocolate bar each because they'd rather get movies and such, last year it was Disney dollars(yep I still call gift cards dollars) The best part it's easy on me when shopping. :joyfull:
Movies last, candy doesn't. It disappears in this house. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom