The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

Don't people give out Easter baskets anymore? When I was a kid, my mother always had baskets filled with Easter candy for us. We didn't get any additional gifts with the candy. (Your boys don't realize how lucky they are!) ;)

Actually, looking back on it now, I didn't feel deprived at all--I just remember stuffing my face with chocolate rabbits and jelly beans, and feeling absolutely euphoric over the experience! :joyfull: :hungry:
Oh yes! The Easter Bunny is visiting our house. ;)

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
From the Disney College Program Alumni Page.

Time for a Test!
C8qd3wbWsAYkLRM.jpg:large

What did you score?
7. I have not attended MVMCP, I have not done Hoop Dee Doo, I can't have Dole Whip, I have not done MNSSHP, I have not been on a cruise, I have not been during Food and Wine festival, I can't eat the kitchen sink sundae, and I have not done rope drop, which should surprise no one here. Unless we count rope drop at Blizzard Beach, the one and only time.

Goofyernmost

Don't people give out Easter baskets anymore? When I was a kid, my mother always had baskets filled with Easter candy for us. We didn't get any additional gifts with the candy. (Your boys don't realize how lucky they are!) ;)

Actually, looking back on it now, I didn't feel deprived at all--I just remember stuffing my face with chocolate rabbits and jelly beans, and feeling absolutely euphoric over the experience! :joyfull: :hungry:
I was out of the service and had just started my job as manager of a Ben Franklin Store before I ever became aware that people gave gifts (other then candy) on Easter. I was shocked to find out that it was the second largest gift sale season of the year (behind Christmas, of course). Totally threw me. All I could think of was Christmas 2.0! Until then I had always thought of Easter as being the ultimate religious holiday, not just because of what was being celebrated, but, because it hadn't turned all commercial. I was wrong, I guess!

donaldtoo

My memories are more of building a core service business model that was lost.
You learned to pick a full service station that pumped gas, checked your oil, cleaned your windshield and spotted anything that might be going wrong with your car as they had the hood popped or noticing your tires were low. You built a rapor with your neighborhood service station that you picked and trusted with your car. It was more to me back then over just pumping gas, a task by the way that I still don't care for by the way. It is just nasty.

Oh, I get all that.
Back in the day they were called service stations. Everything from filling your tank, to the many things you mentioned, and even minor to major car repairs. And, they usually had a Coke machine, and a gumball machine, and maybe a snack machine, or a combination thereof. Obviously, nothing like gas/convenience stores today.
It's obvious I don't have a problem pumping my own gas, inspecting our vehicles, or doing many of the maintenance and repair tasks I can still reasonably do.
Others don't even care about how a car works, and don't have any interest in taking care of any of those things themselves, and that's just fine, too.
These days, repair shops specialize in the repair aspect, gas/convenience stores are a place to make a quick stop to gas up and get ice for your beer, pop, etc., and then some.
As far as checkin' the tires and under the hood, all those quick oil change places do a "27 point" inspection, or some such thing, when you bring your car in.
As we all know, good or bad, times change. ;)

Here's a brief article I found that covers a bit of it all...

http://calexis.com/blog/2015/01/18/whatever-happened-to-the-service-station/

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
7. I have not attended MVMCP, I have not done Hoop Dee Doo, I can't have Dole Whip, I have not done MNSSHP, I have not been on a cruise, I have not been during Food and Wine festival, I can't eat the kitchen sink sundae, and I have not done rope drop, which should surprise no one here. Unless we count rope drop at Blizzard Beach, the one and only time.

Ha! No I'm not surprised about rope drop, so not you but I would have figured maybe a few times you might have made it. Us only a few times over decades, we are not morning people either. But what does surprise me is Hoop? Is it a lack of desire or food issue. Hoop had been our go to place for Christmas Dinner. So much fun.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
68 sounds good to me today!! We are rainy and in the low 50s. Tomorrow is high in the mid 40s. Unfortunately, winter is trying to make another appearance. :mad:

I can't remember when it wasn't raining. It has been pouring all day and no end to the storm that is hoovering over the state and circling counterclockwise and hitting us again and again and repeat. They SAY the weekend is going to be very nice. We shall see.

donaldtoo

I am disappointed in how Disney is ruining the resorts to add DVCs to them. 7 Seas is beginning to look like Urban Sprawl. What most of us use to love about Disney, the escape. Disney is now creating Urban Sprawl themselves along with the problems that go along with mega Urban areas. Freak'n problems like needing long term plans to eat, transportation that is failing on all levels and security installations that are antiquated at best as they are implementing. When Disney is just now installing security inferior to Universal Florida in 2017 you have to just head slap.

Yes you can quickly build cookie cutter DVC units but ignoring the inner works of transportation, dining and security needs that don't adversely impact your guests is not the triple AAA's the overall resort was once. They just smoosh more guests onto the same boats, monorail or buses and none of them run efficiently any longer and it isn't a concern for them, just allow 1.5 hours for your vacation commute within our resort. Seriously? Make longer commute times to waterparks by making transportation hub centers out of places like Animal Kingdom bus loop and Disney Springs causing commuter problems for the resort guests. We got to Universal quicker than we could get to Epcot from POR. That is when you realize standards and quality has slipped. They need to get a grip on their Urban Sprawl. Look at the entire picture before you just build more units into existing resorts.

Yep, between the both of us, I think we pretty well covered it... :cautious: :oops: :D ;)

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
From the Disney College Program Alumni Page.

Time for a Test!
C8qd3wbWsAYkLRM.jpg:large

What did you score?
Full results:
1. Yes, duh,
2. Uh huh.
3. I have an Aulani shirt that I wear to work on casual Fridays
4. Most definitely. Also all four DL mountains
5. I had a Disney princess costume party when I was four
6. Oh, so much as a tween and teen. Lizzie McGuire and Kim Possible were the BEST
7. Yup. Once, not even in WDW. In Hilton Head
8. I bought Rogue One two days ago. And that's not even the first.
9. I now routinely score about 200,000.
10. Yup. Played all of the courses except the winter portion of Winter Summerland
11. Never have been during Christmas, and don't really have much desire to go during Christmas.
12. Yup. Many times.
13. We did Garden Grill for breakfast last trip. It had been many years since I had done character dining.
14. Nope, I've only been at Fort Wilderness to ride bikes.
15. I had a Dumbo hat as a kid that I wore around the parks, along with Minnie ears
16. Been working on Kingdom Hearts. Also have a bunch of others
17. Learned it on the piano too.
18. Last January in DL. Sang like the birdies sing. Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet.
19. A few times, although not my favorite thing to do
20. Yup. They're funny.
21. Watched Paint the Night in January
22. If the skipper suddenly passed out, I could probably take over
23. Pollyanna, Parent Trap, Mary Poppins, Swiss Family Robinson, The Love Bug, Herbie Rides Again, The Apple Dumpling Gang, the Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
24. I don't even want to know how many times I've seen Illuminations
25. Yup.
26. Possibly before I was allergic to pineapple. If the orange variety counts, then yes.
27. I had all of the Disney princesses in costume form growing up. Except Ariel for some reason. And Snow White. Because I don't like her and her dress is ugly
28. My current antenna topper is Dumbo. I have Olaf too, but he only comes out in summer
29. I am pleased to say OH YES!
30. I've never been during Halloween, and I really don't care for that holiday.
31. Watching the Christmas Day parade is tradition in my family.
32. Absolutely. The year it opened. I was three.
33. Yup. Been to both
34. On the bucket list
35. Took my photo with Kylo Ren last time
36. Maybe some day. But no food. Just the wine.
37. The WDW Railroad, the DL railroad...take your pick.
38. At least once per trip
39. Probably. I like shopping on Main Street.
40. Today? Well, maybe not today, but yesterday is a different story.
41. Both coasts.
42. Yeah, no. It's vacation. I don't rise and shine.
43. Probably, although I couldn't tell you when.
44. Nope. Allergic to most of it now.
45. In one day one time. It was quite a trip
46. A long time ago before they jacked up the prices
47. Both coasts. In the same month :)
48. Are you kidding me? I used to have screaming fits in line for Dumbo as a toddler. My parents are so mad that there weren't Fastpasses, a playground, and two sides when I was two. It would have made their lives much simpler.
49. That's the only way to do it!
50. Took a selfie with each castle in the background last January. :)

donaldtoo

Oh, I used to hate that stuff--it was near impossible to work with a frozen brick of orange juice, and then dump it into a pitcher of water--and the OJ company would lead you to believe that it would all blend nicely . . . :banghead:

I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and bet this has probably already been addressed, but, y'all never thawed it out first...?! o_O :oops: :cautious: ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom