The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
@StarWarsGirl how is your ankle today? Anyone else fall today? And third and final question: Have you gotten sick of the Beauty and the Beast songs yet? Just wondering about your experiment.
My ankle is swollen, they cleaned the floor overnight, so no one else fell, and no, I have not gotten tired of Beauty and the Beast yet, although I did switch over to Hello Dolly at the end of the day after listening through the new movie soundtrack twice and the Broadway version once.

donaldtoo

Thanks! Yeah, I think the diagnosis is the key. We hadn't gotten a diagnosis before because whatever label you put on it, he's still him and he is who he is. But the school seems to need the diagnosis to accept his behavior that isn't "normal". Like...if you don't have a solid reason for acting a certain way, then it is not acceptable behavior, and without the diagnosis, you can't prove that he isn't doing it on purpose. So when he breaks into tears because his pen is empty, that's unacceptable behavior unless the reason he does that is because he has some disorder that makes it hard for his brain to deal with the situation. He goes into panic mode and bursts into tears when most children will just ask for a new pen. (Everything is provided here in elementary school...pens, paper, markers, etc) So we hadn't gotten a diagnosis before because it didn't really matter to us WHAT he has as long as we have the tools to help him, but we seem to have come to the point where a diagnosis is important for him so that he can GET those tools...they won't help him if they don't have a diagnosis. It's like...if they can't see it, it's not there. No diagnosis means he is just like every other kid and he is expected to react like every other kid. And the bullying is, in their eyes, a reaction to his being weird and if he just reacted like every other kid like he's supposed to, he wouldn't be bullied...he brings it on himself. I disagree with that. I'm glad your son was able to manage it and didn't experience too much bullying. He must have had some great teachers, too! I remember you posting about your daughter being bullied. I've talked to several of the kids who bully my son...I'm apparently not sufficiently intimidating.

Yes, a diagnosis is important, and it definitely helped at our schools. We had a major meeting with all key staff towards the end of every school year to set a plan in place for the next school year, as well as meetings that were deemed beneficial by staff or us during the year to address any issues.
It all helped him a lot.
Continued prayers that the right combinations of all things involved can be implemented for your DS.

As far as me putting a screeching halt to youngest DD being bullied goes (after she couldn't take it anymore and finally came to DWifey and myself about it), I just let that young man know what my plan of progression would be in dealing with him to get it to cease ASAP, and to pass it on to all others involved.
The bullying never happened again...not even one more time, according to DD.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have never heard of Yankee Doodle Dandy, but, I have heard of Tastee-Freeze and House of Pies, and definitely Baskin Robbins and DQ.
The last BR I ever remember seein' 'round here was down on 29th and Guadalupe (aka "The Drag") down by the UT campus, but, it closed ages ago.
As far as DQ goes, they're all over the place down here.

We have boatloads of Baskin Robbins around Illinois however I believe they have mostly gone the way of combo franchises that complement off hours of each. Ours are Dunkin Donut/Baskin Robbins combos. Seems to be working for both franchises.

donaldtoo

Yeah they will probably talk about. They probably already talk about how little I do for the church. I don't care. I'm not into doing the women's meetings or church every week. I bake stuff and help with some youth stuff. I work my own full time job, I'm tired at the end of the day. No one says anything to me or hubs, so I will keep doing what I do. So if they have a problem with me using my time off to go to Disneyland, well that's fine. I don't tell them when they vacation. And they are still super happy with the job Brad does I'm not worried about that. :)

image.jpeg

:hilarious: :D ;) :)

Gabe1

Funny thing. We had a woolworth working until around 2010.
IT was bought and replaced by Liverpool brand if I remember correctly.
And I think its still running with the same WoolWorth's brand.
Its also one of the oldest department stores.. ever.. It opened in the 80's if I remember correctly.

Oddly When Woolworth's closed their doors in the US many of the buildings then became Foot Lockers selling athletic shoes and some Champ's, also athletic wear.

A connection for us all Cheryl, (2nd favorite ranked) one of the original Mouseketeers married the son of the heir of Woolworths.

Gabe1

cute-kid-funny-pictures.jpg

dog-stuck-in-the-hammock-funny1.jpg

funny-dog6.jpg

donaldtoo

Hey Figgy! @figmentfan423 IT may be Spring here but these pollen counts are killing me!! I have increased using my inhaler and my coughing is awful. Thankfully, I go to the dtr on Wed. But, I talked with someone this morning that has bad allergies and is going through the same thing. Bah! How are the pollen counts up there?

Sympathy like. Hope you're feeling better by now.
That's one downside to Central Texas...airborne plant allergens.
I've never had major issues with them, just a few times off and on over the years, but, many have ongoing issues with them during different times of the year.
Everything from cedar, to oak, to ragweed, to molds, etc.
But, it seems it's not bad enough for many to drive them away...! ;)

Gabe1

And do you remember going to the library in the days before privacy concerns and being able to see everyone who had read the book before you?
21c92d7818d6352564dc860bd43cae71.jpg

or a mimeograph machine with purple ink and intoxicating smell

ba5dd583017ca961c71d56b8fb3fa665.jpg

or the days before the invention of the plastic grocery bag?
22bb0c7b19602efa72ead940e8867925.jpg

or do you remember the day you actually rolled the window down and could break a rib or two if someone closed the door for you too quickly?
5175c84746fa3ed4a0273a78b710dfda.jpg

or when slides were tall, metal and burnt your tushie?
1be1936b57b65663ebcc78620e5c4062.jpg

Gabe1

It is and if you had gone to the original Expo 67, as I did, you would know just how freaking creepy that place is now. I am also assuming it is still there. It was the last time I went to Montreal which was about (or in Canadian, eh... aboat) 10 years ago. For a number of years it was used as a Canadian exhibit of some sort, I don't really remember what it housed, but, it was actually wide open then. The structure was still there, the different floor levels were in place, but, the plastic external covering was what burnt up in the fire was never replaced. So if it rained, it was raining inside as well.

I think they wanted to keep it as the Expo Icon, somewhat like the globe from the NY Worlds Fair. If you look at that picture, just to the right of the burning USA pavilion you can see the remains of the concrete slab that was once the USSR Pavilion. Back in the "Cold War" days the competition to get the most attention was fierce. The US won, we had all the space capsules hanging from the ceiling and some Elvis stuff. They had farm equipment.
Here's a link that give you an idea of what it was like. Note the early monorail/people mover ride that took you to both sides of the islands and right through the middle of the US Pavilion. I have a large photograph on my "office" wall of the aerial view of the site.
https://www.mtlblog.com/these-20-pictures-of-expo-67-will-leave-you-speechless-there-are-no-words/

Wow! The monorail around the sphere is a deja vu to the yet to be evented
EPCOT, SSE and the monorail that wraps around her. Kinda see what the inspiration for the imagineers likely was. Wooba! :jawdrop:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom