The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Sympathy. We are in the mid 30's. I'll take that over 113. I don't have patience for my skin freezing but 113 would make me ill.
Maybe just maybe I need a bit of help LOL. I survived camping just outside of DC during a heat wave in July it hit 105, June 2013 Disney when everybody else was screaming never again in June I was thinking why not, heck last August I was asking why is it so cool:cool:

FutureCEO

Absolutely. Your phrase, "more measured scale" stood out to me. You're right--DVC works very well for some; but ever since WDW has gone hog wild converting so many existing rooms over to DVC, in some beautiful resorts (especially the carnage now over at WL), it's just a major turn-off to me--and to others, if you read other threads about this topic.

My parents bought 2 blocks of DVC resale rather than from Disney.....saved a boat load of money and has the small few DVC perks that resale doesn't get anymore if you buy now.

Even without the small perks, it's still worth resale. My dad's coworker recently bought 100 points from Disney which is $175/point and he still has to rent points for the week.

But yes, Disney ruined the Poly.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Hi....I just wanted to say I'll be gone for a bit. I got a call about an hour ago that my dad passed away. It was peaceful, they aren't sure what caused it. He had just been to the doctor about a stomach bug yesterday and the doctor gave him a clean bill of health and said he could live for years. God, I just said yesterday I hoped he had years, but couldn't complain if he was taken because he had 84 years...I take that back. I didn't think it would be less than 24 hours. Anyway...my brain isn't functioning...sorry. It's 3 a.m. and I can't DO anything because it's the middle of the night and nothing will be open until morning, but anyway, I will be headed for the States as soon as I can manage it, so that's why I won't be here. I would appreciate prayers and positive thoughts and pixie dust and whatever you can throw my way. Thanks!
So very saddened to hear this. Prayers to you and your family.

Cesar R M

Absolutely. Your phrase, "more measured scale" stood out to me. You're right--DVC works very well for some; but ever since WDW has gone hog wild converting so many existing rooms over to DVC, in some beautiful resorts (especially the carnage now over at WL), it's just a major turn-off to me--and to others, if you read other threads about this topic.
I honestly believe that they are not getting as many visitors in the hotel business end and also they think the prices are unsustainable. Thats why they convert to DVC, keep people hooked and save on hiring staff for cleaning and maintenance.

MySmallWorldof4

Do you remember colorforms?
68f1b0f0a525dfbbbf266d87d0cf4736.jpg
270px-Colorforms_1990_town_%26_country_play_set_2.jpg
48990e38810f010417df5ebef3b353d4.jpg

or Snack Pack Pudding in a can, with a pull top??
f49c589b0ffc0159b0563014c12f13c1.jpg

Or a library card with a metal plate

8feb0ccdf93f724d8f752097e75ed750.jpg

Or gas charges when you could afford a vacation and the gas to get you there?
1b4d918d56ab3ffa7c3017016659a151.jpg

or that didn't come in a box?
43b69c0299f74caa36aa5622b0021cb6.jpg
I remember all of that except the gas price. That would sure be nice to see now. My Dh tells a story that when he was a kid he had sesame street colorforms and that one day one of them moved on their own. I think he said one character picked up a colorform phone and put it down. He then ran out of the room. He still says that it actually happened and didn't make it up.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Or gas charges when you could afford a vacation and the gas to get you there?
1b4d918d56ab3ffa7c3017016659a151.jpg
Don't forget that when you factored in what salaries were then, you still couldn't afford to go on a vacation anywhere. I remember that period of time, as financially my worst time ever. That was just before or at the start of the Gas Crisis. Previous to that it was 29.9 for regular gas. They even had price wars back then and if your competition went down a penny, so did you. Now it just works in reverse. No one ever goes down in price, in a competitive way, but, magically they all go up at the same time.

When I was in college I worked in a gas station pumping gas and doing minor repairs. We had three gas categories, Regular, Supreme and something called "Plaid". The later was the "cheap gas" (2 to 5 cents per gal. cheaper). What people didn't know was even though there were three types we only had two tanks in the ground. Plaid was pumped directly from the Regular tank. I can't begin to tell you how many times I silently listened to people tell me that their car ran awful with Plaid, and it wasn't worth the savings. Fill it with regular please! OK, gotcha!

93boomer

Hi....I just wanted to say I'll be gone for a bit. I got a call about an hour ago that my dad passed away. It was peaceful, they aren't sure what caused it. He had just been to the doctor about a stomach bug yesterday and the doctor gave him a clean bill of health and said he could live for years. God, I just said yesterday I hoped he had years, but couldn't complain if he was taken because he had 84 years...I take that back. I didn't think it would be less than 24 hours. Anyway...my brain isn't functioning...sorry. It's 3 a.m. and I can't DO anything because it's the middle of the night and nothing will be open until morning, but anyway, I will be headed for the States as soon as I can manage it, so that's why I won't be here. I would appreciate prayers and positive thoughts and pixie dust and whatever you can throw my way. Thanks!
I am so sorry. Prayers and pixie dust.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
P.S.: Somewhat related, I've slipped on floors before, and I believe that the (cheaper) soles of my shoes contributed to the accidents. I switched to wearing only rubber soles a few years ago, and I think it made a big differenc
This time, I wasn't even wearing heels. I was wearing flats that have a good rubber sole. I'm so glad it didn't happen in heels. I would've been so hurt in heels.

MouseDreaming

I remember that church. All that light and it had those giant doors near the alter at the back. It's a pretty cool structure.

View attachment 196692
I remember that church, too. Sort of. I lived not far from there when I was 6-9 years old. I remember asking my mom what drive in was that and why didn't we go there? You see, what was meant as a way to "join the service" from your car if the building was full, to my young eyes looked like a drive in. It was set up so you could have a speaker for your car, just like the drive in.

MouseDreaming

I am so sorry to hear this. Pixie dust to you, and safe travels.

MouseDreaming

So good to hear from you! I'd be proud too of the Dean's List, so awesome and a good school. Glad he adjusted well to college life. Did you adjust pretty well to him being gone?

My DD too was so over middle school, then high school. She wasn't so over college, didn't miss the homework but she still misses her University. Everything here is pretty much the same. We are plugg'n along-can't wait for the weather to be nice and we can take our bikes out on the trails again.
I wouldn't say I've adjusted. He is home every weekend (with the exception of one). Only a 30-40 minute drive away!

MouseDreaming

So I sprained my ankle. And for those that have been on this thread for a long time, you know it's something I tend to do a lot, but this time it really was not my fault.

Earlier today, I was headed for the break room when I heard a crash and then a "Sh*t". I found my supervisor had fallen. As in completely, I found her on the ground. She had slipped. We checked the floor, but found nothing she would have slipped on, so she thought it was her shoe.

Then later, I went in the break room...and slipped. In the exact same spot where she had. Hours later. Except I didn't go completely down; I just managed to sprain my ankle. It swelled almost immediately; it was like watching a balloon inflate. I hobbled downstairs, reported that the break room floor needs cleaning, and then went and told my supervisor she wasn't crazy. Needless to say, she was not happy. We put a sign on the door warning the floor was slippery.

Then I told my coworker about it, and she said someone ELSE had nearly fallen in that break room earlier. :banghead: Good grief. So we shall see if it gets cleaned in a timely fashion, and if not, well, I'd hate to be the person who will have to deal with my supervisor.

On to more pleasant things: I really enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. Can't decide what was my favorite moment. Musical number, definitely "Gaston". Moment: tie between Mrs. Potts getting very offended at being called Chip's grandmother, and then Cogsworth at the end...:hilarious:
When his wife comes up, and she was basically the village shrew, and she's all happy to see him, and he says: "Please turn back into a clock":hilarious:

My criticism is still the same: they really needed to dub Emma Watson. Her voice, while very pretty, just didn't match the others. And Belle did too little singing for her part. In the stage musical, she sings two songs by herself. This one, it's one song, very briefly. If they had dubbed her, then the character could have done more singing. Other than that, she was fine as Belle.

But her singing was not as bad as Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia. That's quite possibly the worst offender of all time.:rolleyes:

Sorry about the ankle. Hope it isn't too bad of a sprain. Of course, I am married to the guy who sprained his ankle years ago, and it still isn't right.

I am so excited, because I get to see Beauty and the Beast today! DD and I wanted to see it together, but the weekend it came out, she was playing in the orchestra pit for the school musical.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Sorry about the ankle. Hope it isn't too bad of a sprain. Of course, I am married to the guy who sprained his ankle years ago, and it still isn't right.

I am so excited, because I get to see Beauty and the Beast today! DD and I wanted to see it together, but the weekend it came out, she was playing in the orchestra pit for the school musical.
Awesome! I'm hoping to see it a second time with friends. I just got tired of waiting for everyone to solidify their plans. Especially since we were supposed to see it last weekend and that didn't happen. So...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have never heard of Yankee Doodle Dandy :)

Yankee Doodle Dandy - "We're More Than Just Hamburgers"
(cause they also served Fried Chicken-Likely why they went out of business)
I wouldn't say I've adjusted. He is home every weekend (with the exception of one). Only a 30-40 minute drive away!
Oy. My DS briefly attended Carthage College in Kenosha WI. (Hated it). He was home every weekend. Pitfall of small local colleges most bolt on weekends. I was so happy when he transferred 3 hours south to a state university as was my pocketbook.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom