The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Princess Leia

IMG_2826.JPG
So what happens when you go to the Phantom of the Opera tour (first time seeing my favorite musical live in 10 years) after working in philanthropy for 2 years? When the show is over, and the cast is on stage, and one of the actors talks about Broadway Cares, and how for a $40 donation, you can get a tour of the set... you run down the stairs and get in line (and your best friend joins you)! I know I give the upcharge events at Disney a lot of doubt, but this was my own Phantom upcharge event, I guess, and I could not stop smiling :joyfull: (and it's a really good cause).

The tour was led by the head stage guy (... or stage manager...) and Christine Daaé- Katie Travis, who is sooooo tiny! Wasn't allowed to take pictures backstage of the set and props, but they're amazing. The way the set moves :jawdrop: During the main number, The Phantom & Christine walk down stairs THAT LITERALLY APPEAR FROM THE WALL AS THEY WALK DOWN THEM! It's a pretty grand revolving set.
IMG_2834.JPG
We were able to take some pictures with the chandelier. Lots of pyro in that thing (and in the stage). They go to Chicago next, and apparently that theater has different, more restrictive pyro rules, so we were the guinea pigs tonight for some of the effects they'll use there.

Raoul showed up briefly, so while there are unfortunately no pictures of him and Christine :(, they both did a wonderful job, and I let them know. We began to walk over to stage right... and I met this guy...
IMG_1768.JPG
That's Derrick Davis, aka the Phantom, aka the guy who kept making me cry throughout the show :cry: He's amazing. And so nice! :inlove:

Ok more tour things. Almost all of the wigs are made of human hair. The wigs that are not are from the 'Poor Fool' scene, and they're made from yak hair. :eek:

There was time at the end for a Q&A (because apparently I wasn't asking enough questions during the set tour). I had to ask how they were able to do Buquet's death (last time I saw it I'm pretty sure they just threw a guy- aka dummie- over the rafters), since it looked pretty technical (he was literally standing on the stage, Phantom created a noose- I couldn't concentrate on the ballet during this- and hung him from the side of the stage). They explained it was a very hidden harness. The trick that they were not allowed to explain was how the last scene went down. It also deviated from the original show (lots of new things here), but anyone could figure that trick out easily. This was a lot more graceful and magical.

Anyways, while the new choreography, set, lyrics, and costumes (if you like the giant Masquerade monkey in Act II, you won't be happy) threw me off initially, I learned to love the changes. They kept me on my toes.
It was a good night :inlove: IMG_2838.JPG

Figgy1

View attachment 178721
So what happens when you go to the Phantom of the Opera tour (first time seeing my favorite musical live in 10 years) after working in philanthropy for 2 years? When the show is over, and the cast is on stage, and one of the actors talks about Broadway Cares, and how for a $40 donation, you can get a tour of the set... you run down the stairs and get in line (and your best friend joins you)! I know I give the upcharge events at Disney a lot of doubt, but this was my own Phantom upcharge event, I guess, and I could not stop smiling :joyfull: (and it's a really good cause).

The tour was led by the head stage guy (... or stage manager...) and Christine Daaé- Katie Travis, who is sooooo tiny! Wasn't allowed to take pictures backstage of the set and props, but they're amazing. The way the set moves :jawdrop: During the main number, The Phantom & Christine walk down stairs THAT LITERALLY APPEAR FROM THE WALL AS THEY WALK DOWN THEM! It's a pretty grand revolving set.
View attachment 178719
We were able to take some pictures with the chandelier. Lots of pyro in that thing (and in the stage). They go to Chicago next, and apparently that theater has different, more restrictive pyro rules, so we were the guinea pigs tonight for some of the effects they'll use there.

Raoul showed up briefly, so while there are unfortunately no pictures of him and Christine :(, they both did a wonderful job, and I let them know. We began to walk over to stage right... and I met this guy...
View attachment 178720
That's Derrick Davis, aka the Phantom, aka the guy who kept making me cry throughout the show :cry: He's amazing. And so nice! :inlove:

Ok more tour things. Almost all of the wigs are made of human hair. The wigs that are not are from the 'Poor Fool' scene, and they're made from yak hair. :eek:

There was time at the end for a Q&A (because apparently I wasn't asking enough questions during the set tour). I had to ask how they were able to do Buquet's death (last time I saw it I'm pretty sure they just threw a guy- aka dummie- over the rafters), since it looked pretty technical (he was literally standing on the stage, Phantom created a noose- I couldn't concentrate on the ballet during this- and hung him from the side of the stage). They explained it was a very hidden harness. The trick that they were not allowed to explain was how the last scene went down. It also deviated from the original show (lots of new things here), but anyone could figure that trick out easily. This was a lot more graceful and magical.

Anyways, while the new choreography, set, lyrics, and costumes (if you like the giant Masquerade monkey in Act II, you won't be happy) threw me off initially, I learned to love the changes. They kept me on my toes.
It was a good night :inlove: View attachment 178722
Sounds like fun and an upcharge for charity:):cool::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

Goofyernmost

Oh I have seen it, :p as has @Goofyernmost in his area. What I always enjoy watching is the local news just prior to any snowstorm. They always have their "reporters" (if you can call them that . . .) out there with the camera guy at supermarkets, filming the frenzy. The interviews they conduct with the customers are always hilarious, too. Every year, every storm, they all say the same things.

It's far better to just keep some canned items, peanut butter, crackers and munchies etc., at home and a few loaves of bread in the freezer, on a regular basis throughout the year. The only item I would run out of would be milk, but I really don't care about that for a few days, if I couldn't get to a store. (Plus I use half & half in my coffee, and that lasts a few weeks in the frig anyway.)
I completely agree. Canned goods, preferably some that can be eaten without warming up, because you may need to save heating and cooling powers for a time if the power goes off. In the winter and there is a snow storm that causes the power to go out, you always have the snow and cold to help preserve your food supply, but what do you do in the summer? Water, bread if it can be somehow preserved, canned goods and things that don't need heating up like spaghetti o-s, beans, fruit, tuna fish, etc. Peanut Butter is a great protein provider. and make sure you have a manual can opener. That will not be gourmet dining, but, this is survival not a visit to Trump Tower.

Edited for an added question.... Someplace in the back of my mind, I seem to remember that there was some type of canned bread. It's a very vague memory and it might have been some type of novelty bread. Does anyone else remember anything like that?

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
View attachment 178721

View attachment 178719

View attachment 178720

Noooo they can't change Phantom :mad:

MOXOMUMD

I very often wonder about that. Just how long do people think that they are going to be unable to get to a store. Unless it's a two week long blizzard that doesn't stop until it is deeper then your house, I fail to see any scenario in todays world that would prevent any more then a two day need. Yet, they stock up for months at a time. Peoples is so silly.
For those of us who have to drive into town to a grocery store, when the bad weather rolls in I make sure we have stuff for a week. Our roads don't get plowed by the county until last. We have a mom & pops corner store/gas station but there's only so much they can stock. A big storm last year had us in for five days until our neighbors came over in their 4x4 plow and got us out.

MOXOMUMD

View attachment 178721

View attachment 178719

View attachment 178720

I saw it in Toronto many years ago when Paul Stanley (KISS lead singer) was the Phantom. It was awesome.

MOXOMUMD

I completely agree. Canned goods, preferably some that can be eaten without warming up, because you may need to save heating and cooling powers for a time if the power goes off. In the winter and there is a snow storm that causes the power to go out, you always have the snow and cold to help preserve your food supply, but what do you do in the summer? Water, bread if it can be somehow preserved, canned goods and things that don't need heating up like spaghetti o-s, beans, fruit, tuna fish, etc. Peanut Butter is a great protein provider. and make sure you have a manual can opener. That will not be gourmet dining, but, this is survival not a visit to Trump Tower.

Edited for an added question.... Someplace in the back of my mind, I seem to remember that there was some type of canned bread. It's a very vague memory and it might have been some type of novelty bread. Does anyone else remember anything like that?
Canned_Bread.jpg
hqdefault.jpeg

Princess Leia

Noooo they can't change Phantom :mad:

I'm still torn about the lyrics. I grew up with the Original Broadway soundtrack, so hearing the (mostly minor) changes in 'Angel of Music' and 'Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again' were a little jarring? I'm okay with the choreography and set changes though (especially the 'I Remember/Stranger Than You Dreamt It' scene and the final moments of the show). The costume changes were mostly minor- Phantom's Red Death costume was different, and that's the one costume change that I can remember.

One thing I did notice was that the Phantom seemed slightly less like a stalker. Emphasis on the slightly. Instead of fainting due to seeing a Christine look-a-like in a wedding dress in the lair during 'Music of the Night', Christine just got tired, so the Phantom carried her to his bed. Her costume change in Down Once More didn't have as much of an impact then, because we didn't see the dress prior (and she wasn't wearing a veil, though I did see one backstage, so maybe they had to improv?). On the other hand, unlike the last time I saw the show, the Phantom was forcibly putting the wedding dress on Christine, which goes back to that stalker thing. :cautious:

I saw it in Toronto many years ago when Paul Stanley (KISS lead singer) was the Phantom. It was awesome.

Ooooh. I was talking to one of my coworkers this morning, and she saw it there as well. Was it in Toronto for an extended period of time?

MOXOMUMD

I'm still torn about the lyrics. I grew up with the Original Broadway soundtrack, so hearing the (mostly minor) changes in 'Angel of Music' and 'Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again' were a little jarring? I'm okay with the choreography and set changes though (especially the 'I Remember/Stranger Than You Dreamt It' scene and the final moments of the show). The costume changes were mostly minor- Phantom's Red Death costume was different, and that's the one costume change that I can remember.

One thing I did notice was that the Phantom seemed slightly less like a stalker. Emphasis on the slightly. Instead of fainting due to seeing a Christine look-a-like in a wedding dress in the lair during 'Music of the Night', Christine just got tired, so the Phantom carried her to his bed. Her costume change in Down Once More didn't have as much of an impact then, because we didn't see the dress prior (and she wasn't wearing a veil, though I did see one backstage, so maybe they had to improv?). On the other hand, unlike the last time I saw the show, the Phantom was forcibly putting the wedding dress on Christine, which goes back to that stalker thing. :cautious:

Ooooh. I was talking to one of my coworkers this morning, and she saw it there as well. Was it in Toronto for an extended period of time?
It ran in Toronto for ten years.

King Capybara 77

Premium Member

We saw it on a long weekend to London. We watched Stomp the first night. Lion King the second and Phantom the third.
Thoroughly enjoyed all of them but Phantom was the most jaw dropping one.

Princess Leia

We saw it on a long weekend to London. We watched Stomp the first night. Lion King the second and Phantom the third.
Thoroughly enjoyed all of them but Phantom was the most jaw dropping one.
I need to see both Phantom and Lion King in NYC. I've seen both touring productions, but I would love to see them in theaters that were designed for them (or have come to be designed for them). They added some amazing pyro to Phantom. I'm talking 3 to 4 foot flames out of the stage. I was in the balcony and I could still feel the heat. :jawdrop:

King Capybara 77

Premium Member
I need to see both Phantom and Lion King in NYC. I've seen both touring productions, but I would love to see them in theaters that were designed for them (or have come to be designed for them). They added some amazing pyro to Phantom. I'm talking 3 to 4 foot flames out of the stage. I was in the balcony and I could still feel the heat. :jawdrop:
The most insane Pyro we have seen (outside Disney) was at a WWF (when it was called that) event in Manchester:oops:. We were in the nosebleed seats but got a sweat on because of it. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom