The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Yea! All my warm weather clothes have been tried on and are now in the wash! Just weird with snow coming. Now it's time to get my older ds' stuff sorted for the wash, fun afternoon ahead lots of wash and then the middle school boys invasion! I'm going to try on some of my younger ds' things from last summer I'm not sure if anything is going to fit but I'm not donating perfectly good shorts until I try them on. He's going to need everything this year not even the things bought at the end of the summer with grow room are going to fit him now!
I packed up all the laundry last night to go to my in-laws tonight. Whirlpool still hasn't called us to come look at the washer, and until they do, we can't get a new machine...so...week's worth of laundry at my in-laws' this weekend. *sigh* I packed it all up so DH could take it with him...his work is between here and my in-laws' house, so he takes the suitcases/bags to work, then when the kids get out of school, we go by bus to the train station, then take a train to where he works and he picks us up at the train station there and we go to his parents. But it's such yucky weather that he's just going to drive home and pick us and the laundry up this time instead. But at least it's all packed. I'm wearing my "I don't care what I look like, it's COLD" sweater...had to take my jeans off and hang them up after the school run after lunch because the bottoms were soaked from melted snow. Thank goodness DS has like 12 pairs of jogging pants or we'd not get through a week without being able to do laundry!!

Goofyernmost

Consider me silly...ernusual, then...! ;)
I type slow enough as it is (especially on my iPhone), so the abbr. :D help me greatly.
I try to adjust where I feel necessary. :)
To be serious for a moment... to me it's not so much that we, as a society, have started to abbreviate everything because of cell phone usage, it is that we feel the need to carry it over and make it a valid part of our official language. We can't seem to turn it off. We carry it over even when it is as fast to spell things out and that is getting more and more confusing as people attempt to condense words and phrases that are known only to themselves. Just look at the two different opinions on just two letters. Some thought the D in DS, that our intention was "Dear" and others felt it was "Disney". The intent of the communicator was known only to them.

Every form of activity has it's own identifying language. I'm sure that in architecture there are many things, words, phases and abbreviations that are used for what you do in your field. That doesn't mean that outsiders are aware of what those things mean so they are kept within your field and not forced out into the public. They are compartmentalized.

The habits that I got into originally, the, at least attempt at, punctuation, capitalization, etc. have me almost completely unable to not carry it through to my posting and texting habits. It just feels wrong to me, but, this is the world I live in so I just try and confine that activity to someone else and continue to do what is comfortable for me. That said, I guess I don't care if you or anyone else goes that route, but, I also think that one takes the chance of not fully getting their message out there because so many people don't understand what is being said.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
To be serious for a moment... to me it's not so much that we, as a society, have started to abbreviate everything because of cell phone usage, it is that we feel the need to carry it over and make it a valid part of our official language. We can't seem to turn it off. We carry it over even when it is as fast to spell things out and that is getting more and more confusing as people attempt to condense words and phrases that are known only to themselves. Just look at the two different opinions on just two letters. Some thought the D in DS, that our intention was "Dear" and others felt it was "Disney". The intent of the communicator was known only to them.

Every form of activity has it's own identifying language. I'm sure that in architecture there are many things, words, phases and abbreviations that are used for what you do in your field. That doesn't mean that outsiders are aware of what those things mean so they are kept within your field and not forced out into the public. They are compartmentalized.

The habits that I got into originally, the, at least attempt at, punctuation, capitalization, etc. have me almost completely unable to not carry it through to my posting and texting habits. It just feels wrong to me, but, this is the world I live in so I just try and confine that activity to someone else and continue to do what is comfortable for me. That said, I guess I don't care if you or anyone else goes that route, but, I also think that one takes the chance of not fully getting their message out there because so many people don't understand what is being said.
Sometimes i am sure it means D**n :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom