The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

betty rose

We actually think we are going to do 3 days at Epcot and 1 at MK. I know, everyone says there is nothing to do at Epcot but it is still my favourite and I could just sit and people watch in WS all day long. We will also be interested in visiting Disney Springs now that's it's opening up. And we are likely doing the QS plan which will be a change for us. We usually do the regular DDP.
That is my favorite park too. I love that it's not as crowded and walking around the lake is so relaxing, and the walkway is wide. It's all good to me!

betty rose

I hear you, I'm not enjoying my ds' middle school year and it's only October:banghead::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:
Be patient, as I know you will be, hold in your thoughts, unless he starts to get into trouble. You, and he will survive. Middle school is such a test for kids. Making new friends, go from class to class....that can be a lot of stress, with different kinds of teachers....puberty, hormones. I'm so glad I'm out of that. Wait, I'm not , with my pesky thyroid!:p:eek:

Songbird76

I was that "angel child in high school, too (mostly I was afraid of my parents disapproval). I went to a very liberal college IU in the 60's. I didn't do drugs but married someone my Mom didn't approve of (wrong side of the tracks, from my hometown). Mom loved sister's husband their family owned a jewelry store. My brother married his high school sweetheart. I never divorced as he was my best friend. Not a "looker at all". But we were so compatible. Sis married an "approved" man, they divorced as he was a physical abuser. Brother just went off the tracks, got messed up in bad things, and divorced. Let the kids go at the proper time for each kid. That decision has to be made for each child. I was the "baby" in the family, and was overprotected with very strict rules, home by 8:30pm in high school. I still "feel" my parent's disapproval from their grave. We all carry our parent's with us lon after they have passed. I let my daughter go in middle school, she was responsible and knew write from wrong....did she make mistakes, in high school. We accepted her and forgave her miss steps. She is a responsible adult raising two boys, and has written a few published books about Disney. We are so proud of her. She had the conviction to follow her dreams. We let her "fly " when the time was right. This is different for each child and parent.
I was the same way. My curfew was "Be home before it gets dark", which is 5:00 in the winter. I was allowed to go to school functions like dances and ball games, but I was NOT allowed to wear make-up or date. When I was 17, my mom told me I could go out in a group that included boys, but I was not allowed to go out with the group including the same boys consistently. I think that's maybe why I was in so many activities...that was my social life. And the rules on school trips were much more relaxed than the ones at home. I didn't have to be in our hotel room on speech trips until 9, which felt late to me. And I was accepted in the speech and debate, music, student council circuit...basically the nerds. In my school, our area is big in coal mining so all the kids were pretty well off. My parents didn't work for the mine, they were divorced, we were poor. I didn't fit in there like I did in the activities arena. I know my mom loved me, and she supported me ALWAYS with my extra curriculars. She was at EVERY home game for which I cheered and a lot of the away games, too, and she came to speech tournaments...she knew my oratory speech almost as well as I did. And she used to listen from the front porch when I sang the national anthem at football games. So I know it mostly came from fear...she was terrified of what would happen if she didn't always have control over where I was and what I was doing. But it could have gone completely the other way if it hadn't been my personality to be a rule follower and people pleaser. My high school calculus teacher told me I was going to go wild when I went to college because I was such a prude in school and never let my hair down, but I only ever went to one party because it was a friend of mine and my brother's who was throwing it, and I locked myself in the bedroom and took a nap. I had no interest in drinking myself to oblivion and the music was far too loud to enjoy sober. :D I am just not a big partier. But knowing how those rules and my mom's disapproval affected me, I try really hard to be different with my kids. My rules are more loose. As long as the clothes cover everything that should be covered, I don't care if you wear a red checkered dress over pink polka dot pants and wear mall bangs! (mall bangs and peg-legged jeans were both verboten in my house) And my daughter has a faux-leather jacket. My mom said leather jackets were for prostitutes. My mother would be horrified by my parenting if she were still alive. LOL But DD is very mature and responsible already at 9. I imagine she'll be like your daughter...we'll let her fly pretty early. DS is 7, but acts more like he's 5. He's going to be a late bloomer.

Songbird76

The atrocities go way beyond the "ovens" . So much worse was happening. After some chapters, I had to put the book away for several weeks. It still haunts me, if I think about it.
Yeah, it stays with you. The Forgotten voices is all true stories as told by survivors. Horrifying. And Elie Wiesel's book Night is the same way, because you can really picture it and it's amazing the horrific things humans do to each other. And that's what interests me so much about WWII. I read somewhere that only 10% of the German population were Nazi sympathizers...the rest were just too scared to do anything about it. But that such a small percentage could have so strong of a hold on the overwhelming majority...that's what is so terrifying. And THAT is what we need to watch for.

betty rose

I was the same way. My curfew was "Be home before it gets dark", which is 5:00 in the winter. I was allowed to go to school functions like dances and ball games, but I was NOT allowed to wear make-up or date. When I was 17, my mom told me I could go out in a group that included boys, but I was not allowed to go out with the group including the same boys consistently. I think that's maybe why I was in so many activities...that was my social life. And the rules on school trips were much more relaxed than the ones at home. I didn't have to be in our hotel room on speech trips until 9, which felt late to me. And I was accepted in the speech and debate, music, student council circuit...basically the nerds. In my school, our area is big in coal mining so all the kids were pretty well off. My parents didn't work for the mine, they were divorced, we were poor. I didn't fit in there like I did in the activities arena. I know my mom loved me, and she supported me ALWAYS with my extra curriculars. She was at EVERY home game for which I cheered and a lot of the away games, too, and she came to speech tournaments...she knew my oratory speech almost as well as I did. And she used to listen from the front porch when I sang the national anthem at football games. So I know it mostly came from fear...she was terrified of what would happen if she didn't always have control over where I was and what I was doing. But it could have gone completely the other way if it hadn't been my personality to be a rule follower and people pleaser. My high school calculus teacher told me I was going to go wild when I went to college because I was such a prude in school and never let my hair down, but I only ever went to one party because it was a friend of mine and my brother's who was throwing it, and I locked myself in the bedroom and took a nap. I had no interest in drinking myself to oblivion and the music was far too loud to enjoy sober. :D I am just not a big partier. But knowing how those rules and my mom's disapproval affected me, I try really hard to be different with my kids. My rules are more loose. As long as the clothes cover everything that should be covered, I don't care if you wear a red checkered dress over pink polka dot pants and wear mall bangs! (mall bangs and peg-legged jeans were both verboten in my house) And my daughter has a faux-leather jacket. My mom said leather jackets were for prostitutes. My mother would be horrified by my parenting if she were still alive. LOL But DD is very mature and responsible already at 9. I imagine she'll be like your daughter...we'll let her fly pretty early. DS is 7, but acts more like he's 5. He's going to be a late bloomer.
Thank you for sharing. We all have to find our own path, young, middle age, or old. No time in life is without a struggle. Then we have the happy times, I think my life has worked out for the best. And I'm a very happy person!

Songbird76

I love every age until middle school, that was when daughter cut her long hair, and started wearing a lot of black. We didn't say anything as she was a good student and in many functions at school. After one year, she got over the rebellion phase and moved on.
My daughter cut her long hair 2 years ago...but it was to donate to the Dutch version of Locks of Love/Pantene beautiful lengths. I think I might cry if she ever dyed it black or something, but not in front of her. She has beautiful hair...it would be a pity to damage it with chemicals. But I wouldn't say anything if she did. Did your DD dye hers, or just chop it?

betty rose

My daughter cut her long hair 2 years ago...but it was to donate to the Dutch version of Locks of Love/Pantene beautiful lengths. I think I might cry if she ever dyed it black or something, but not in front of her. She has beautiful hair...it would be a pity to damage it with chemicals. But I wouldn't say anything if she did. Did your DD dye hers, or just chop it?
She chopped it off, her clothes were mostly black! I like black but not everyday!

Songbird76

I hear you, I'm not enjoying my ds' middle school year and it's only October:banghead::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:
Sympathy like!! I'm not looking forward to the teenage years. Fortunately DD seems to be a lot like me, and I never really rebelled, so maybe she won't either? And she still loves to snuggle up next to me and watch a movie and share a blanket and most of her friends have moved beyond the stage of wanting to spend time with mom. I'm soooooo blessed. DS has never much been interested in sitting down with ANYONE to snuggle unless he was sick...somehow I think it will be easier to let him go because of that.

betty rose

That was such a nice thing for her to do. I don't think I knew about this, and she DD had it done by a salon.

Songbird76

Thank you for sharing. We all have to find our own path, young, middle age, or old. No time in life is without a struggle. Then we have the happy times, I think my life has worked out for the best. And I'm a very happy person!
I love that you are so content and positive. You are a fantastic role model and I bet your DD is a great person because of it! I hope I can be as life affirming and encouraging with my kids!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom