The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

I know my kids would like it but touring with them is very different than when we are on our own. And I probably would do 2 days there with them but not 3.
How old are they? Mine are too young yet for us to do Disney on our own. We're planning a trip for our 25th anniversary in 11 years, but that's sooooo far off. DD is about the age I was when we first went to Epcot and I LOVED it...it's been my favorite park ever since. Both my kids love learning, so hopefully they will be into Epcot. My favorite part is the world showcase because I want to travel and see everything, and WS gives me a taste of that. And I love learning about other cultures...I hope I can pass that on to my kids.

French Quarter

How old are they? Mine are too young yet for us to do Disney on our own. We're planning a trip for our 25th anniversary in 11 years, but that's sooooo far off. DD is about the age I was when we first went to Epcot and I LOVED it...it's been my favorite park ever since. Both my kids love learning, so hopefully they will be into Epcot. My favorite part is the world showcase because I want to travel and see everything, and WS gives me a taste of that. And I love learning about other cultures...I hope I can pass that on to my kids.

They are 6, 8 and 10.

French Quarter

Accidentally or "accidentally"?

I swear I didn't mean it.

download.png

betty rose

I just skimmed through the thread so im not sure if this was talked about...Has anyone seen the Martian yet? I thought it was incredible. Especially in those AMC movie theaters with the comfy red chairs. I think it might be my favorite movie of the year, Well. Jurrasic World and this are my favorite movies of the year until star wars comes out :p
This is a dumb question, is this a flick made by Disney? I've not seen any adds for it.

Goofyernmost

No long weekend for me either. Next holiday for us is Thanksgiving. :(
The more years that go by, and the more we learn about Columbus, it becomes less and less likely that anyone gives a damn about it. It always was a nothing holiday and has become an even larger nothing over the years. I wouldn't be surprised to see it replace with a more important and more personally identifiable holiday in the near future. Perhaps a Goofyernmost Day would capture everyone's imagination. I'd be on board with that!

betty rose

Maybe it's a standard parent thing. My mom was very controlling. I was pretty much an angel child in high school and figured I could wait till college to be independent. So I got good grades, got scholarships and went to university. My mom didn't like the guy I was dating and forbid me (I was 19) to be engaged to him. She wrote me 15 page letters telling me how disappointed she was in me and how she wished I had rebelled in high school instead of in college. I told her I wasn't rebelling...I was an adult and she was welcome to give me advice but I wasn't obligated to take it. And then she wrote a 9 page letter to my friend, asking her to "fix" me and get me to break up with my boyfriend (who she didn't like because he wasn't Missouri Synod Lutheran). I was getting straight A's and I paid for everything with scholarships and money from my job...she didn't have to pay a penny. I didn't party or get into any trouble, but you'd have thought I was Satan the way she talked. I'm guessing a lot of it was that she was a single parent and always had to be the bad guy, and she was used to me just doing what she told me to do and couldn't take it when I was independent. I think it's brilliant that you let your kids be themselves. I'm trying to do that with my kids. They are still young, though...it might be harder when they are teens, but so far DD is the easiest child on the planet! DS has some issues, but we're working on them and really he's a good kid and very smart, just has some developmental problems with his social and emotional side.
I was that "angel child in high school, too (mostly I was afraid of my parents disapproval). I went to a very liberal college IU in the 60's. I didn't do drugs but married someone my Mom didn't approve of (wrong side of the tracks, from my hometown). Mom loved sister's husband their family owned a jewelry store. My brother married his high school sweetheart. I never divorced as he was my best friend. Not a "looker at all". But we were so compatible. Sis married an "approved" man, they divorced as he was a physical abuser. Brother just went off the tracks, got messed up in bad things, and divorced. Let the kids go at the proper time for each kid. That decision has to be made for each child. I was the "baby" in the family, and was overprotected with very strict rules, home by 8:30pm in high school. I still "feel" my parent's disapproval from their grave. We all carry our parent's with us long after they have passed. I let my daughter go in middle school, she was responsible and knew right
from wrong....did she make mistakes, in high school. We accepted her and forgave her miss steps. She is a responsible adult raising two boys, and has written a few published books about Disney. We are so proud of her. She had the conviction to follow her dreams. We let her "fly " when the time was right. This is different for each child and parent.

Last edited:

betty rose

I've read The Diary of Anne Frank several times...twice in the original Dutch. I haven't read the rise and fall of the 3rd Reich, but I read a book about Auschwitz and how the main extermination programs started, etc. I feel like it's important to know about so we don't let it happen again. I'm fascinated and horrified by the fact that so many people turned a blind eye to it because it wasn't them.
The atrocities go way beyond the "ovens" . So much worse was happening. After some chapters, I had to put the book away for several weeks. It still haunts me, if I think about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom