The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

betty rose

That's true, and I hadn't really given your point much thought about parental pressure (about which groups their kids should hang out with, even outside of school). Me, I was just thrown to the wolves. :hilarious:
My parents were pretty aware of our "friends" in and out of school. But, for the most part we were allowed to pick our own friends. It was still subject to parents "overseeing".;)

betty rose

I do all the mowing, but hubby keeps piling stuff on the mower in the shed, so I haven't been able to get to the mower since June or so...the grass has been pretty dead for a few years anyway....me and my lack of green thumb. But I'd really like to just take it all out and replace it with garden tiles or something that requires no weeding, no mowing, no nothing.
Having taken out all the grass, we call a lawn service to do a spring and fall clean up. That's why we can stay in our current house, as long as we want. Although I get the urge to move every spring. That's what my parents did, and made money by taking a house, fixing it up and selling. Those were great times. I want a new house next time, then I can call the builder for at least a year if something breaks!

Goofyernmost

At my school, we received an excellent education. However, in retrospect, I wished I had gone to public school all the way, because you get to meet children from many different religions (or no religion). I think that learning to interact and learn from kids from diverse backgrounds, is an important education in itself. It also sets you up for the work world as an adult. (I'm basing some of these comments on a few kids I knew that went to private, parochial schools, from grade 1 straight through college. They were nice, intelligent kids, but IMO, were somewhat living in an insular world of common thought, etc.)
With me it was more of a social issue. After first grade they segregated the boys and the girls so that we wouldn't have nasty thoughts, I guess. That went all the way through High School. Luckily, we moved to another state right after I finished my Freshmen year and I went to a public High School. What a culture shock. There were females there and right at the height of puberty as well. I was so shy and awkward around females. I didn't know what to say or how to act. I might just as well been from an alien planet. I eventually improved in that area, but, it stuck with me for a very long time.

On another thought, related to your post, my first year in High School required a white shirt, tie and a blazer with the school emblem on the pocket. Talk about your nerd filled building. It was so straight laced an atmosphere that it was stifling, then two of the seniors went out and killed a local car salesman just so they could go for a joy ride in a new car. That kind of took the prestige out of the place as a religious center for learning.

And here some of you thought that nothing like that happened back in the good old days.

betty rose

That sounds like an awesome tradition! Our school doesn't have the continuous schedule where kids stay for lunch, so we have to pick them up every day and take them back after lunch. But the breakfast idea sounds great!! Of course, I think the only restaurant that's open for breakfast here is McDonalds, but I'd take it!!
That sounds like a lot of driving. How do you get anything finished?

MOXOMUMD

What's a nap? I've heard stories, I not sure I believe them:confused:
A nap is when you tell the people in your house that your going to sleep for awhile and they know better than disturb you. And yes I've heard the "I've got kids" excuse and IMO they are either small enough to nap when you do (vice versa) or be responsible enough to entertain themselves for a half-hour.

MOXOMUMD

This is a big of deja vu here. I recall my own parents making almost exactly the same comment about my music idols, back in the day. ;)

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Sure, some of them are definitely pretentious idiots, but there are quite a few other decent and talented musicians who end up getting a bad rap, due to the adverse actions of the ones making the most noise, and getting the most press.
I guess I'm glad my daughter's music idols are mine too. (Even though she says they are old enough to be her grandpas. :D )

Songbird76

My parents were pretty aware of our "friends" in and out of school. But, for the most part we were allowed to pick our own friends. It was still subject to parents "overseeing".;)
I always got to pick my friends, but my mom was very strict and I remember back in 3rd grade there was a family who lived near us who were known for using drugs and the little girl was in my class. I was allowed to play outside with her, but not go into her house. And when I was in high school, one of my friends was known for being...loud I guess is the word. She was pretty boisterous and a bit lacking in manners. She wasn't into anything bad, she just wasn't known for being responsible and my mom told me that if she couldn't be more reserved, she didn't want me to be painted with the same brush, so I wouldn't be allowed to hang out with her anymore.

Songbird76

With me it was more of a social issue. After first grade they segregated the boys and the girls so that we wouldn't have nasty thoughts, I guess. That went all the way through High School. Luckily, we moved to another state right after I finished my Freshmen year and I went to a public High School. What a culture shock. There were females there and right at the height of puberty as well. I was so shy and awkward around females. I didn't know what to say or how to act. I might just as well been from an alien planet. I eventually improved in that area, but, it stuck with me for a very long time.

On another thought, related to your post, my first year in High School required a white shirt, tie and a blazer with the school emblem on the pocket. Talk about your nerd filled building. It was so straight laced an atmosphere that it was stifling, then two of the seniors went out and killed a local car salesman just so they could go for a joy ride in a new car. That kind of took the prestige out of the place as a religious center for learning.

And here some of you thought that nothing like that happened back in the good old days.
I went to public school all the way through and I was still shy and awkward around boys. They might as well been from an alien planet, too! Were you like the kid at the end of Inside-Out that Riley runs into at the hockey game?

Songbird76

That sounds like a lot of driving. How do you get anything finished?
No driving. We walk to school. It's only a couple of blocks. In a couple of years, the school is merging with another and they are building the new school farther away, but I don't have a drivers license here, so we'll have to go by bike. That's how most people get around here. I ride my bike to work, to the shopping center, etc. The grocery store and the school are close enough to walk. But it does take a large chunk out of the day to have to do the lunch run. Next year they are switching to a continuous schedule, so I won't have to do that anymore. It is hard to get things done right now, though...it takes some strategy.

donaldtoo

Hey y'all, got back from DL about 90 minutes ago and I'm exhausted. Plus I have over 300 photos to go through but I hope to post a bunch tomorrow night. I did conquer this mountain 3 times, though! :happy:

20150831_102620.jpg

Awesome...!!! :joyfull:
Big time jealous...! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom