The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's supposed to 90+ all week here. :) Probably the last hurrah of the summer. :grumpy:

Out here, when it's hot in September and even sometimes into early October, it's known as "Indian Summer." I'm not sure if that's what it's referred to out in your part of the country. All I know is I can't wait for the cold. Anyway, I copied a few paragraphs (below) from the Old Farmer's Almanac:

Why is Indian summer called Indian summer? There are many theories. Some say it comes from the early Algonquian Native Americans, who believed that the condition was caused by a warm wind sent from the court of their southwestern god, Cautantowwit.

The most probable origin of the term, in our view, goes back to the very early settlers in New England. Each year they would welcome the arrival of a cold wintry weather in late October when they could leave their stockades unarmed. But then came a time when it would suddenly turn warm again, and the Native Americans would decide to have one more go at the settlers. "Indian summer," the settlers called it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I did all the mowing for years, as hubby traveled a lot. Never had a riding mower. When we moved into our current house 20 years ago, I looked at the grass, and said enough is enough. I took it out and planted greenery, flowers and put in rocks. I've never missed a day of not having grass. :D

You know what I like much better than gardening? (We don't have a garden anyway.) I like to shovel snow. It's fun, it's a feeling of accomplishment, it's good exercise, and you're out in the fresh, crisp air. Also, it's free--no gym or club monthly dues. It's a perfectly complete activity. :cat:

MOXOMUMD

Out here, when it's hot in September and even sometimes into early October, it's known as "Indian Summer." I'm not sure if that's what it's referred to out in your part of the country. All I know is I can't wait for the cold. Anyway, I copied a few paragraphs (below) from the Old Farmer's Almanac:

Why is Indian summer called Indian summer? There are many theories. Some say it comes from the early Algonquian Native Americans, who believed that the condition was caused by a warm wind sent from the court of their southwestern god, Cautantowwit.

The most probable origin of the term, in our view, goes back to the very early settlers in New England. Each year they would welcome the arrival of a cold wintry weather in late October when they could leave their stockades unarmed. But then came a time when it would suddenly turn warm again, and the Native Americans would decide to have one more go at the settlers. "Indian summer," the settlers called it.
We call it Indian Summer too. :) I'm ready for cooler weather, I want to rake up the leaves and jump in them :D AND I've bought Halloween candy to snack on already. I don't like when it's 90* when school is in because most of the classrooms don't have AC. They are permitting kids to have water bottles at their desk though.

MOXOMUMD

You know what I like much better than gardening? (We don't have a garden anyway.) I like to shovel snow. It's fun, it's a feeling of accomplishment, it's good exercise, and you're out in the fresh, crisp air. Also, it's free--no gym or club monthly dues. It's a perfectly complete activity. :cat:
I liked this because you're nuts! And I wouldn't have you any other way. :geek: Seriously though, shoveling snow is one of my least favorite things to do.

donaldtoo

Unfortunately a boy on my daughter's bus home decided he wanted to say some rude things to her last Friday so she told him to be quiet! She got off the bus crying and ran all the way up our drive. That boy yelled out the window "Keep crying little baby, run home stupid girl!" :grumpy:

Saturday was her dad's visitation day and after he learned what happened he made sure to meet her at the bus stop to give that boy the stink eye. It worked, that boy told her she had a big scary dad and has left her alone.

LOVE it...!!! :hilarious: :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom