The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Clamman73

More of the Louvre
View attachment 99771 View attachment 99772

It was funny the amount of people gathered in front of the Mona Lisa....
View attachment 99773

Hubby being a goof!
View attachment 99777

Venus de Milo
View attachment 99778

View attachment 99783 View attachment 99784 View attachment 99785 View attachment 99786

Souvenirs for sale outside the Louvre, we learned later that these vendors often store their wares in the sewers of Paris! I'm glad I didn't buy from them!
View attachment 99787
My favorite at the Louvre was the fruit face paintings of Arcimboldo. The Mona Lisa painting seemed smaller in person than what I imagined it to be when I saw it.
And those stairs going up the Arc de Triomphe...Had to stop a few times...

betty rose

We don't get the weather channel anymore :cry: Not that I watched it a lot but it was nice to look at the radar so you could see whats happening before runs and stuff. Now I have to turn on my computer, wait for it to come on and go to the website.

For a month or so we had some horrible accrue weather station and now we don't have any.
I couldn't live without the weather channel, I wake up with it and go to sleep with it. Sorry you don't have it anymore. I would cancel my Comcast if they stopped offering it. I love Al Roker, and Stephanie Abrams, they are a hoot!

catmom46

It's so amazing how small the Mona Lisa is. I've never gone to Paris, but our Kansas City, art museum had a display of French art. I loved that display, thank you for sharing.

I know what you mean about Mona Lisa being small. When we were in Europe back in 2004, I spent a good deal of time saying "I thought it would be bigger". All except the Eiffel Tower, though. And maybe David. :cat:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl , I'm really interested in the pictures you posted. One of my favorites was the little balcony from your hotel room in Paris. I loved that--so quaint, so Parisian. I've never been to Paris, but what a magnificent city it is. You and your husband saw so many historical sites; what a wonderful vacation!

The balcony was used by me a lot. When I booked the hotel I had reserved a room with the balcony because I loved it in the pictures too. The hotel didn't have many rooms with balconies, and I spent a lot of time this past winter dreaming of my little Parisian balcony! I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures, we saw a lot. And I took a lot of pictures, I'm just giving you guys a smattering.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Actually now that I think about it, I do have pictures from the Newseum and American History museum in DC. I thought art was an exception for some reason.

It might just be different places rules. We were allowed to take pictures in the churches in France (just not of services) but no pictures inside any of the churches in London. Although hubby snuck a few (2 in St. Paul's and 2 in Westminster), he said it was for his job (he is a pastor). I think he is just a rule breaker.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I keep scrolling up to see your pictures over and over. Paris looks so pretty, and your ice cream looks really chocolaty. I love the balcony, it's what I have always imagined since taking high school French class. Sharing your pictures is so kind for all of us! I loved the pic on the air plane, you looked so excited....I would be too. Have the most wonderful trip ever.

Thanks! It was a great trip. Paris was as beautiful as I had imagined it would be, and the people were pretty friendly to us. So I was glad to find out that stereotype wasn't true, at least for us. I need to stop looking at pictures of that ice cream, it was so good. I had it a few days later too, and had a scoop of coconut with it. It was amazing.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It's so amazing how small the Mona Lisa is. I've never gone to Paris, but our Kansas City, art museum had a display of French art. I loved that display, thank you for sharing.

The art in the Louvre was amazing, I did like the Musee d'Orsay better as I like Impressionist paintings better. The Mona Lisa was small, but I kept hearing about how small it was that when I actually saw it I said "Oh that is bigger than I thought it would be!"

Goofyernmost

I agree. The first time I saw it, so long ago that I don't think the paint was dry yet, all I could think of was... What is this. I've seen bigger paint by number kits. And you had to stand so far away from it, with good reason I suppose, but, it took away a lot of the awe (for lack of a better word). In Europe I was used to seeing painting of famous people that were about 10 feet high and 6 feet wide. By comparison and being alone on that big wall, it seemed almost postage stamp sized.

catmom46

I agree. The first time I saw it, so long ago that I don't think the paint was dry yet, all I could think of was... What is this. I've seen bigger paint by number kits. And you had to stand so far away from it, with good reason I suppose, but, it took away a lot of the awe (for lack of a better word). In Europe I was used to seeing painting of famous people that were about 10 feet high and 6 feet wide. By comparison and being alone on that big wall, it seemed almost postage stamp sized.

I was also surprised to see it behind glass, but I suppose with good reason as well.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Ok gang, here's the start of a mini-trip report for you and pictures of our first day!

We left Minneapolis at 7:30pm and we landed in Iceland and changed planes. Then we got into the Paris airport at a little after 1 pm. We took the train to our hotel in the Latin Quarter of Paris (about a 5 minute walk from Notre Dame). Our hotel room was teeny tiny and we had a double bed, the shower was super small too basically enough room to walk in to it. But the room had a nice little balcony to sit out on and enjoy the view.

Us on the plane ready to go!
View attachment 99762

Our little balcony
View attachment 99763

And the view
View attachment 99764

The cool metro stop near us.
View attachment 99765

Our first view of the Eiffel Tower and the River Seine. The bridge in the picture is the "love lock" bridge that recently had the locks taken off and these decorative panels are up for now as they make repairs. Unfortunately, people are putting locks on other bridges, I wish they would realize that they aren't pretty on the bridge and they cause destruction.
View attachment 99766

My first food in Paris, chocolate Berthillion ice cream. It was the best ice cream I've ever had, and that says a lot coming from a girl from the Dairy State!
View attachment 99767

At the Louvre!
View attachment 99768 View attachment 99769
Absolutely stunning! I hope you have the best time ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom