The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I just read this article on True Value Hardware stores. Holy cow -- opened in 1948, and now they're folding! :jawdrop:

There are a few of these stores in my general area, and they've all been good. (Whenever I could, I'd always go to one of them, versus the bigger stores like Home Depot or Lowes. (The smaller hardware stores weren't so overwhelming, and the staff was always helpful.)

Per the link below, they're trying to sell to some other chain I never heard of around here, so that may mean that the True Value stores (under some new brand name) may completely disappear from my area. There's one local Ace Hardware I can think of, but that's about it.

Goofyernmost

I just read this article on True Value Hardware stores. Holy cow -- opened in 1948, and now they're folding! :jawdrop:

There are a few of these stores in my general area, and they've all been good. (Whenever I could, I'd always go to one of them, versus the bigger stores like Home Depot or Lowes. (The smaller hardware stores weren't so overwhelming, and the staff was always helpful.)

Per the link below, they're trying to sell to some other chain I never heard of around here, so that may mean that the True Value stores (under some new brand name) may completely disappear from my area. There's one local Ace Hardware I can think of, but that's about it.

It is inevitable that these smaller stores would be closing. The big box stores seem to draw people for some reason that escapes me. I have tried many times to get something I needed from Lowes or Home Depot and 90% of the time they don't have it. I have concluded that it is an illusion. Because it is a big place that they will have absolutely everything that a person could possible want, but they don't.

The pretty much have the same inventoried items that the smaller stores have and the difference is that they just have more of the same thing. Example instead of a supply of fifty 60 watt lightbulbs the big box stores have 1000 of them. Same items just more of them to fill the space in the store. The thing is, how many lightbulbs does one person need? It's that assumption that a big store is going to be more likely to have something that one wants and a lot of the time they do, but they could have gotten the same thing from a smaller store. Bigger isn't always better!

Lilofan

It is inevitable that these smaller stores would be closing. The big box stores seem to draw people for some reason that escapes me. I have tried many times to get something I needed from Lowes or Home Depot and 90% of the time they don't have it. I have concluded that it is an illusion. Because it is a big place that they will have absolutely everything that a person could possible want, but they don't.

The pretty much have the same inventoried items that the smaller stores have and the difference is that they just have more of the same thing. Example instead of a supply of fifty 60 watt lightbulbs the big box stores have 1000 of them. Same items just more of them to fill the space in the store. The thing is, how many lightbulbs does one person need? It's that assumption that a big store is going to be more likely to have something that one wants and a lot of the time they do, but they could have gotten the same thing from a smaller store. Bigger isn't always better!
Big box stores ( ie Wal Mart, Lowes , Home Deport etc ) is to some one stop shopping that have and will continue to put a number of small business to close. Its not always better but these companies want to crush the competition and are successful doing that. The Ace Hardware near me shortly closed when a number of customers shopped elsewhere ( ie big box ).

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Read the same article can't believe True value is going under. Many times I go there because they have what I need to fix something --Big box stores don';t carry a lot of stuff True value does. Sad
There should be room for both -- larger stores like Lowes & Home Depot, and smaller sized stores like True Value or Ace.

However, I prefer the smaller sized hardware stores because I never quite know what to buy -- and I always walk in there like a deer in the headlights! :hilarious: The guys that work there immediately recognize I'm "lost" and always come over to me, to ask if they can help. I tell them what I think I need, and they not only tell me where the item is, but actually walk me over to the aisle, and show me options. The customer assistance beats out the larger stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom