The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Anyone else watch the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest today, from Coney Island? I did! (ESPN shows it every July 4th).

Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago won -- he ate 58 franks and buns, in 10 minutes. The second place winner, Geoffrey Esper, ate 53 franks and buns, in 10 minutes. Geoffrey was from my state of MA, so I was rooting for him! :joyfull:
Nope not one of us. btw sounds like a snooze fest with those numbers

StarWarsGirl

Honestly there's not a lot of thrill attractions at UH that aren't somewhat screen based at least. We didn't do transformers or mummy because we haven't introduced those properties to DD at her age, but both are heavy screen base. We didn't do Simpsons so I don't know what that one was like.

HP and the Forbidden Journey - some screens, mixed with physical/animatronic effects. Wasn't VR, and I don't recall it being 3D

Flight of the Hippogriff - great coaster, rode it multiple times. Probably on the level of BTMRR in terms of thrills

We did the Backlot tour - there was some screens in this, but most of it was not. (Check out a YouTube video ahead if needed)

Mario kart - VR based, not impressive TBH (DH and I don't have the access issues with VR that DD has, but we still didn't love the ride. The game was too distracting, and I expect a Mario kart attraction to be fast, and it wasn't. It was like a VR Buzz)

We also did secret life of pets, not a thrill ride but DD enjoyed. Despicable Me also screen based (and a kids ride).

We didn't do the Jurassic park water ride as it was January, but the velociraptor encounter was cool.

Overall I wasn't super impressed. We went to take DD to Harry Potter, and it was fine to spend a day there for that and fit in some other stuff. DD was chosen to participate in the wand show at Ollivanders, and then we had fun exploring the spells in the window with the wand that chose her. But we likely won't return to UH any time soon, even if we have extra days if/when we go to DLR. I've heard UO is much different so we will likely try that, if only for diagon alley, when we go back to FL, but universal didn't impress us with the accessibility of their attractions. DD couldn't even keep the VR helmet for Mario kart on her head - it was too heavy and hurt her.
Ugh. I was floating around the idea of going to Uni for Epic Universe because I really like Mario, but if the Mario Kart ride there is also VR, that's a no-go for me.

wdwfan4ver

Ugh. I was floating around the idea of going to Uni for Epic Universe because I really like Mario, but if the Mario Kart ride there is also VR, that's a no-go for me.
The ride is no go for you. in Epic Universe. The Mario Kart ride Universal Studios Japan has is VR also and is safe to say Epic Universe Mario Kart ride is the same. To my understanding, the Mario Kart ride is the same at all 3 Universal theme parks worldwide.

I know about Mario Kart ride in Japan because I watched youtube videos on Super Nintendo World when it first opened in Japan since Epic Universe has the same amount Super Nintendo rides as Japan aka 3 rides.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

The ride is no go for you. The Mario Kart ride Universal Studios Japan has is VR also and is safe to say Epic Universe Mario Kart ride is the same. To my understanding, the Mario Kart ride is the same at all 3 Universal theme parks worldwide.

I know about Mario Kart ride in Japan because I watched youtube videos on Super Nintendo World when it first opened in Japan since Epic Universe has the same amount Super Nintendo rides as Japan aka 3 rides.
Yeah, I was pricing out the idea of going someplace in November, depending on how much time I'm actually able to take off in September at WDW (I work remote, but my trip calls during quarter end). I was pricing out Uni, and I could get an AP there and go for Epic Universe after it opens while I'm over in WDW. I was also floating around SoCal. Honestly, for the same money, I'd rather go to SoCal.

I'll just have to see how it goes with having time off for WDW in September.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yeah, I was pricing out the idea of going someplace in November, depending on how much time I'm actually able to take off in September at WDW (I work remote, but my trip calls during quarter end). I was pricing out Uni, and I could get an AP there and go for Epic Universe after it opens while I'm over in WDW. I was also floating around SoCal. Honestly, for the same money, I'd rather go to SoCal.

I'll just have to see how it goes with having time off for WDW in September.
One word for you....
theme park disneyland GIF

Songbird76

Honestly there's not a lot of thrill attractions at UH that aren't somewhat screen based at least. We didn't do transformers or mummy because we haven't introduced those properties to DD at her age, but both are heavy screen base. We didn't do Simpsons so I don't know what that one was like.

HP and the Forbidden Journey - some screens, mixed with physical/animatronic effects. Wasn't VR, and I don't recall it being 3D

Flight of the Hippogriff - great coaster, rode it multiple times. Probably on the level of BTMRR in terms of thrills

We did the Backlot tour - there was some screens in this, but most of it was not. (Check out a YouTube video ahead if needed)

Mario kart - VR based, not impressive TBH (DH and I don't have the access issues with VR that DD has, but we still didn't love the ride. The game was too distracting, and I expect a Mario kart attraction to be fast, and it wasn't. It was like a VR Buzz)

We also did secret life of pets, not a thrill ride but DD enjoyed. Despicable Me also screen based (and a kids ride).

We didn't do the Jurassic park water ride as it was January, but the velociraptor encounter was cool.

Overall I wasn't super impressed. We went to take DD to Harry Potter, and it was fine to spend a day there for that and fit in some other stuff. DD was chosen to participate in the wand show at Ollivanders, and then we had fun exploring the spells in the window with the wand that chose her. But we likely won't return to UH any time soon, even if we have extra days if/when we go to DLR. I've heard UO is much different so we will likely try that, if only for diagon alley, when we go back to FL, but universal didn't impress us with the accessibility of their attractions. DD couldn't even keep the VR helmet for Mario kart on her head - it was too heavy and hurt her.
Thank you so much for your insight! It sounds like it's probably not the best fit for my friend then. I didn't realize how much smaller it was than Orlando's! I'm assuming Forbidden Journey and Flight of the Hoppogriff are probably the same in both parks, and I assume Simpsons is, too...we did that one in Orlando years ago and it was heavily screen-based and I had to keep my eyes closed through most of it. I didn't see the Jurassic Park water ride or Velociraptor encounter on the list of attractions when I googled it. I'll have to look more in depth, I guess. Thank you!!

Songbird76

My understanding of Epic Universe is that the Mario section there will be a lot bigger and with more attractions than in any of the other parks that have a mario section. I've been watching videos from time to time about the progress, and I'm pretty sure they said Epic Universe will have a lot more Mario than California or Japan. But I'd suggest looking into it yourself before you decide, and maybe wait for some reviews. We went to Wizarding World a month after it opened and it was CHAOS. Wall to wall people, you couldn't even get into that section of the park once the park had been open for 30 minutes and you had to wait until late afternoon for some people to leave so more people could get in. The shorest wait time was 15 minutes and that was to get into Zonkos Joke shop. Next was 45 minutes to get into Schrivenshaft's store. Olivander's was 90 minutes, and Forbidden journey was HOURS. The only thing we got to do by the time we got in was go to Zonkos, Honeydukes, and Schrivenshafts and have a butterbeer, which also had a HUGE long line. We decided going in the first year that something is open is not a good idea. Wait until the hype dies down and you can see what people are saying about it so you can avoid everyone else's mistakes.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
O.k. @Figgy1 -- per your request, here is a photo of yesterday's hot dogs on the grill.

(The smallest package I could find was 8 dogs -- way too much; yet, it turned out to be a savior.) The first 3, I completely burnt and discarded to the back of grill. Then, the next two also burnt. But -- the final 3 -- I actually cooked without burning - voila!! :joyfull:

Initially, I took a photo of just the dogs on the grill, but hubs said that the photo was kinda blah. So, he suggested I include his boxing bags, to add "ambiance" to the July 4th grilling extravaganza! :hilarious: :p

1720172107990.jpeg
I

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
O.k. @Figgy1 -- per your request, here is a photo of yesterday's hot dogs on the grill.

(The smallest package I could find was 8 dogs -- way too much; yet, it turned out to be a savior.) The first 3, I completely burnt and discarded to the back of grill. Then, the next two also burnt. But -- the final 3 -- I actually cooked without burning - voila!! :joyfull:

Initially, I took a photo of just the dogs on the grill, but hubs said that the photo was kinda blah. So, he suggested I include his boxing bags, to add "ambiance" to the July 4th grilling extravaganza! :hilarious: :p

View attachment 797031
I
Where's the fire extinguisher ?

Goofyernmost

If you're ever in Jersey, you have to check out Rutt's Hutt. They deep fry their dogs and will burn them as dark as you want, cruddy selection of wine, limited mixed drinks and from what I understand a decent selection of beer.
Who would be the heathen that doesn't know the only thing that goes with hot dogs (crispy or not) is beer. It's sacrilege to think that wine or mixed drinks have any business in that particular party at all. 🌭🍔🍺👍😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom