The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

GA has made grits into fine cuisine for dinner - shrimp and grits.
Back when I first started to drive south every February, that first morning after we left, at breakfast I alway had grits. I loved them then and and I still love them now. I never pass up an opportunity to have shrimp and grits when they are on the menu. When you think about it though they are a very basis food that needs stuff added like honey, butter or syrup to give it a great taste, but there is something that is appealing about grits. It's like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket on a cold night.

Speaking of which, all you folks up north, stay inside. The weather channel said that with the high winds the temperature will feel like -60F. As if -30F isn't cold enough. My sister called me this evening from Vermont just to see if I would gloat about the weather. I told her I couldn't do that because we are almost in a weather emergency here now with the temperature at 40F. Brrrrr. She was not amused.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Back when I first started to drive south every February, that first morning after we left, at breakfast I alway had grits. I loved them then and and I still love them now. I never pass up an opportunity to have shrimp and grits when they are on the menu. When you think about it though they are a very basis food that needs stuff added like honey, butter or syrup to give it a great taste, but there is something that is appealing about grits. It's like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket on a cold night.

Speaking of which, all you folks up north, stay inside. The weather channel said that with the high winds the temperature will feel like -60F. As if -30F isn't cold enough. My sister called me this evening from Vermont just to see if I would gloat about the weather. I told her I couldn't do that because we are almost in a weather emergency here now with the temperature at 40F. Brrrrr. She was not amused.
Dh went in extremely early this morning and was home by one so we're all in until Sunday when it'll be up to 20 and the winds will have died down. That said the car will be well warmed up before I get into it

FutureCEO

My office told people not to bother coming in today. Of course it would have only been like 5 people in the office anyway.

But supposed to be -5 here which I think breaks a record from 1918.

Another cold day tomorrow and then after that, our three day winter is over.

Figgy1

Premium Member
My office told people not to bother coming in today. Of course it would have only been like 5 people in the office anyway.

But supposed to be -5 here which I think breaks a record from 1918.

Another cold day tomorrow and then after that, our three day winter is over.
Dh was given the option of going in well before the sun came up this morning and was home before it started getting really bad

StarWarsGirl

It may sound funny, but, I honestly don’t remember seeing anything I would call actual drama over the combined 30+ years I’ve been at our firm.
Granted, I’m older now, and tend to keep to myself socially, but, all the younger (our kiddos ages :hilarious:) coworkers know I’m totally in business-wise, so I may be missing some stuff, and that’s fine by me…!!! ;)
But, even when the firm was first founded, and we were all younger, I don’t remember such.
I think it depends on the department.

My first job out of college was IT. IT people are the greatest people you'll ever work with...but they're full of the drama.

Then I went to finance with my second job. I'm still with that company, but in my first role, I worked more closely with sales. Sales...omg. They cause so much drama. I didn't even have to be in the office with them for them to cause drama. I'm friends with one guy in sales and he routinely keeps me updated now that I'm remote. 🤣

One of my favorites was this girl in our west coast office. My first six months in, I found an error that she made that made her order look like it had -$16k gross profit. Well, when I caught it and went back and made the adjustment so it would NOT be negative, she acted like it was my fault...nope, she didn't follow the very clear SOP.

Basically her entire team was trouble. Another time, I told her she wasn't allowed to send a quote to a customer lower than standard pricing unless she had vendor approval. I got such argument from her...but we could literally get in legal trouble by doing that. She argued it wasn't in the SOP, so it must not be a rule. Well, guess who wrote that SOP and could have that changed and updated the next day? Yup, that was me. (Oh, she got her manager involved, who also tried to argued the same thing. I had to get my boss involved and the vendor manager involved in order to tell them I was correct).

Then that entire team was fired because they weren't meeting their numbers and hadn't been in a long time. But problem child quit right before the firings, probably because she knew she was going to get fired. When a team member leaves, they're supposed to set their out of office to say "I'm no longer with company XYZ. Please contact salessupport@abc.com for assistance." Nope, she put "I'm out ***ches. Have a nice life."

There's been other drama, but she was memorable. Now the types of drama I encounter is mostly from upper management...and AP. 🙄 But I do get shielded from it a good bit because I work from home. My favorite team member is a gossip, though, so I still hear a good bit. 🤣

donaldtoo

wow, how big is that plotter?

Large enough to produce at least 4 different sizes of standard, larger printed media…(in inches) 11x17, 18x24, 24x36, and 36x48.
It’s an expensive investment, but, keeping it all in-house saves the firm a ton of time and money, as opposed to having to send it all (multiple construction sets, etc.) out to a print shop.
Plus, just like a print shop, we do charge clients, builders, etc., for the service.
It is pretty identical to the model pictured below…

00F6B522-2107-40CA-B8C1-A379A88088BC.jpeg

donaldtoo

I looked at the story of Colonel Sanders a few days ago.
And turns out that the current recipe has nothing to do with the colonel's recipe and mostly a cheaper cost-savings way?

I wonder if I can still go to the original Sander's wife's restaurant which supposedly serves the original still.

Yep, when I was a kiddo, KFC was a real treat for us every now and then. So good…!!!!! :hungry:
We have a location just down the road from us here, and would get a bucket to enjoy from time to time, as our kiddos loved it too.
About 15 years ago we noticed a change. We were all having gastro issues after eating it, especially Sarah (youngest DD). Haven’t had any KFC in years, sadly.

donaldtoo

First of all, glad you made it to your office, and back home, safe and sound!!

Also, glad you didn't lose your power at home. Even last night, I was watching multiple national news reports of the ice/tree damage in Austin, and surrounding areas. Yikes! You guys really got hammered. Hoping the danger passes by today, if your forecast calls for higher temperatures to melt some of that ice.

Thanks, Minnie…!!! :)
We’ve always been used to those “blue northers” sweeping down into Texas over the years in winter, but, in recent years they’ve been more intense.
Of course, I could always refer back to these two historical tidbits…!!!!! :hilarious:

75067C0C-E16D-4D53-8A8F-2B1B9092A299.jpeg8A46FCC4-C062-4BD3-8F3F-CA0B844612BC.jpeg

donaldtoo

Heavy ice will do that. DH says there is nothing scarier than walking through the woods scouting out downed lines in the dark and hear all the ice popping the trees down. He says you can only hope one doesn’t fall down on you.

Oh yes, so very dangerous. So many people injured or killed because of falling trees or limbs, over the years.
We did our level best to stay away from any problems with such.

donaldtoo

I think it depends on the department.

My first job out of college was IT. IT people are the greatest people you'll ever work with...but they're full of the drama.

Then I went to finance with my second job. I'm still with that company, but in my first role, I worked more closely with sales. Sales...omg. They cause so much drama. I didn't even have to be in the office with them for them to cause drama. I'm friends with one guy in sales and he routinely keeps me updated now that I'm remote. 🤣

One of my favorites was this girl in our west coast office. My first six months in, I found an error that she made that made her order look like it had -$16k gross profit. Well, when I caught it and went back and made the adjustment so it would NOT be negative, she acted like it was my fault...nope, she didn't follow the very clear SOP.

Basically her entire team was trouble. Another time, I told her she wasn't allowed to send a quote to a customer lower than standard pricing unless she had vendor approval. I got such argument from her...but we could literally get in legal trouble by doing that. She argued it wasn't in the SOP, so it must not be a rule. Well, guess who wrote that SOP and could have that changed and updated the next day? Yup, that was me. (Oh, she got her manager involved, who also tried to argued the same thing. I had to get my boss involved and the vendor manager involved in order to tell them I was correct).

Then that entire team was fired because they weren't meeting their numbers and hadn't been in a long time. But problem child quit right before the firings, probably because she knew she was going to get fired. When a team member leaves, they're supposed to set their out of office to say "I'm no longer with company XYZ. Please contact salessupport@abc.com for assistance." Nope, she put "I'm out ***ches. Have a nice life."

There's been other drama, but she was memorable. Now the types of drama I encounter is mostly from upper management...and AP. 🙄 But I do get shielded from it a good bit because I work from home. My favorite team member is a gossip, though, so I still hear a good bit. 🤣

Yea, maybe the difference is we’ve always been a pretty small firm in the same office, with about 32-ish people, including the 4 partners.
All I know is drama doesn’t go well with good business. We all know we need to work together as a team, to keep payin’ the firms bills, and, thus, our own.
Leave your juvenile drama at home, please.

Cesar R M

Yep, when I was a kiddo, KFC was a real treat for us every now and then. So good…!!!!! :hungry:
We have a location just down the road from us here, and would get a bucket to enjoy from time to time, as our kiddos loved it too.
About 15 years ago we noticed a change. We were all having gastro issues after eating it, especially Sarah (youngest DD). Haven’t had any KFC in years, sadly.
Yeah,. had the same issue with KFC in Houston.
I think it was the introduction of the darn cheap oil similar to the one used in McDonalds'.
Ironically, they have changed the oil here. No issues anymore, at most some acid reflux for the greasy food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom