The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Did your dad's aunts grow up during or just after the world wars, by chance? A LOT of people denied their German heritage at that time. It was not a very popular thing to be associated with anything German. The Windsor family actually changed their name because they wanted to distance themselved from their German heritage.
That's totally why they did it, but I don't know who they were fooling. Our last name is anglicized German. They all just looked German. But we didn't have anyone in our family tree who came over from Germany after the revolution. In fact, I found records of having ancestors in the Revolution, War of 1812, and for the Union during the Civil War on that side.

Songbird76

Actually, those aren’t railroad ties, they’re rough-hewn 8”x8” wood columns. Not sure if they’re reclaimed lumber or not, but, we’ve done several projects that used such.
Yea, the door house sounds cool, in theory, but, I couldn’t deal with that every day either.
Wonder if it was inspired by “Monsters, Inc.”…?!!!!! :hilarious:

I appreciate stone and glass, as well. Makes for a nice combo.
We’ve also done many homes with bay windows, although, not many these days in the traditional angled bay. Mostly square/rectangular bays/boxouts these days…window seats, day beds, reading nooks.

And, yes, there are many houses I drive by every day that I wonder what they look like inside…also many I drive by each day that I know what they look like inside, ‘cause we designed ’em…!!!!! :D🤣

Bottom line, architecture is fun to me, any way you slice it…darn you again, Mike Brady…!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious:;)
Something about the traditional angled bay window just speaks to me. Do you have that? I'm sure you do.....specific things that just jump out to you and that you like more than other styles? I mean, of course, when you're working with clients, you have to give them what they are paying for, and there are probably some things you would have to just shake your head at to wonder why in the world someone would want that, but there are bound to be things that a client asks for that you think "Gosh, if I had that kind of money, I'd love to do something like that in my house!" That's the bay window for me. I love to read, and I love natural light. So the idea of putting a nice plush cushion in a window seat, with a bunch of pillows, and a soft blanket....kind of like my own little fortress of solitude....that appeals to me. I'm not a fan of "boxy"...I like facets and interesting shapes and softened corners. There's also a picture of someone's home library that I LOVE. Put a bay window somewhere in there, and I'd never leave.
roundlibrary.jpg

Songbird76

That's totally why they did it, but I don't know who they were fooling. Our last name is anglicized German. They all just looked German. But we didn't have anyone in our family tree who came over from Germany after the revolution. In fact, I found records of having ancestors in the Revolution, War of 1812, and for the Union during the Civil War on that side.
Ah, yeah my g-g-g-g-grandfather on dad's side faught in the revolutionary war, my g-g-grandfather who was married to the McKinley fought in the union during the civil war, and my grandpa fought in WWI, and my uncles fought in WWII. My dad served during the Korean war, but he got into a fight during basic training and messed up his knee and ended up working in an office somewhere rather than fighting. But mom's side is all German, and her parents were both born in Germany, I'm pretty sure....I know for sure that my grandma was, but I don't actually know where my grandpa was born....but I THOUGHT they both came over on boats....but maybe it was my great grandpa who came over....I've done the family genealogy, so I have the info somewhere, I just don't remember for sure off the top of my head. But everyone from at least my great grandparents back came over from Germany in the 1800s. My parents were both a LOT younger than their siblings...more than a decade. And my dad was already in his 40s, my mother almost so when they had kids, so all my grandparents are from much earlier generations. They were all gone before I was born except my dad's dad, who died just after I turned 1. I have pictures of him in his WWI uniform. And I have pictures of one of my mom's brother's in his WWII uniform....he used to send her things from Europe when he was over there and she was just a kid. And one of my distant cousins wrote a book about my G-G-grandfather. He was a captain in the civil war, and went on to become a secretary of state in Kansas.

There's also a story in my family about our last name, which is pretty common, but has a lot of different spellings. Story says that somewhere along the line, some family had a falling out and one side dropped the "e" at the end of our name so they wouldn't be associated with the other side. No one knows when that happened, but I'm wondering if it wasn't during the revolutionary war, that one side was loyalist and the other side patriots and the patriot side dropped the E. I know that my g-g-g-g-grandfather fought AGAINST the British, and my last name doesn't end in e. So if it DID get dropped then, the side with the E must have been loyalists.

donaldtoo

Something about the traditional angled bay window just speaks to me. Do you have that? I'm sure you do.....specific things that just jump out to you and that you like more than other styles? I mean, of course, when you're working with clients, you have to give them what they are paying for, and there are probably some things you would have to just shake your head at to wonder why in the world someone would want that, but there are bound to be things that a client asks for that you think "Gosh, if I had that kind of money, I'd love to do something like that in my house!" That's the bay window for me. I love to read, and I love natural light. So the idea of putting a nice plush cushion in a window seat, with a bunch of pillows, and a soft blanket....kind of like my own little fortress of solitude....that appeals to me. I'm not a fan of "boxy"...I like facets and interesting shapes and softened corners. There's also a picture of someone's home library that I LOVE. Put a bay window somewhere in there, and I'd never leave.
View attachment 627790

Nice…we’ve done a few of those, as well, although I remember only one round one.
Another were a coupla’ walk-in closets with 2 levels. One, a lot of shoes for a retired Army Generals wife, IIRC.
Personally, I wouldn’t have any use for a space like that. The traditional angled bay window is just not what most clients seem to want these days. They just want similar, but, not faceted.
I don’t have anything against either, but, I just don’t have much of a need for a window seat, day bed, or reading nook…!!! ;):)

StarWarsGirl

Ah, yeah my g-g-g-g-grandfather on dad's side faught in the revolutionary war, my g-g-grandfather who was married to the McKinley fought in the union during the civil war, and my grandpa fought in WWI, and my uncles fought in WWII. My dad served during the Korean war, but he got into a fight during basic training and messed up his knee and ended up working in an office somewhere rather than fighting. But mom's side is all German, and her parents were both born in Germany, I'm pretty sure....I know for sure that my grandma was, but I don't actually know where my grandpa was born....but I THOUGHT they both came over on boats....but maybe it was my great grandpa who came over....I've done the family genealogy, so I have the info somewhere, I just don't remember for sure off the top of my head. But everyone from at least my great grandparents back came over from Germany in the 1800s. My parents were both a LOT younger than their siblings...more than a decade. And my dad was already in his 40s, my mother almost so when they had kids, so all my grandparents are from much earlier generations. They were all gone before I was born except my dad's dad, who died just after I turned 1. I have pictures of him in his WWI uniform. And I have pictures of one of my mom's brother's in his WWII uniform....he used to send her things from Europe when he was over there and she was just a kid. And one of my distant cousins wrote a book about my G-G-grandfather. He was a captain in the civil war, and went on to become a secretary of state in Kansas.

There's also a story in my family about our last name, which is pretty common, but has a lot of different spellings. Story says that somewhere along the line, some family had a falling out and one side dropped the "e" at the end of our name so they wouldn't be associated with the other side. No one knows when that happened, but I'm wondering if it wasn't during the revolutionary war, that one side was loyalist and the other side patriots and the patriot side dropped the E. I know that my g-g-g-g-grandfather fought AGAINST the British, and my last name doesn't end in e. So if it DID get dropped then, the side with the E must have been loyalists.
I have so many direct ancestors who fought in the revolution that I would just be like, and...here's another one. I could technically join Daughters of the American Revolution. You only need one direct ancestor and I'm like, well, here's six... 😂 But then I think of Gilmore Girls and go...nah. The saddest one was a direct ancestor who was killed in the War of 1812. He was younger than I am now and left a wife and young child behind. Such a pointless war. And then on Mom's side I've got ancestors who fought in on the Confederacy side of the Civil War on her mother's side, and the Union side on her father's side. But strangely, the plantation owners on her mom's side just flat out stayed out of it. I don't get that one.

The latest relative to come to the US was my grandmother's grandmother from England, and the rest of her family came from Germany about a decade before the Civil War. Her family was never weird about being German, though. What's kind of cool is that her family settled a few miles from where I live now; one of my ancestors is even buried about two miles away from where we live. The earliest I could trace back was Mom's line to 1400s England.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom