The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

That's a very Irish spread with all the green. :joyfull:

P.S.: I had a hot pastromi with mustard sammie for lunch. :hungry: (The place I went didn't have corned beef, but I think I like pastromi better anyway. ) :happy:
I like pastrami, but corned beef cannot be duplicated. If you ever get the chance to get to Montreal, head to St. Catherine Street and find Dunn's Deli. Their smoked meat sandwiches are to die for or from depending on how much you eat. I have never found it the same anyplace I have been. I still buy corned beef at the deli counters in our mega marts but cannot get the same thing. I'll be honest that is really the only thing I miss about not living in Vermont. I could drive up to Montreal just for a sandwich.

Songbird76

Sounds like a scam to me.
5k additional money to have a ton of ppl fail a class?
Somehow reminds me of the mentality of some teachers to be proud that half their classes failed .
If half your class fails, you're not a good teacher. Your job is to prepare them and give them the information they need. If the majority failed, YOU failed to do your job. Either they have incompetent teachers, or the test is bogus. Either way, people shouldn't have to pay for it if they didn't get what they paid for. If the majority do well and you fail, that's completely down to you. But in this case, it sounds like the teacher didn't prepare them for the test. I agree with your assessment that it sounds like a scam....they probably don't MEAN it to be, but that's effectively what happens. I'm wondering if this is the first time this teacher taught this class, or if it's a pattern. They should really look into it, though.

Songbird76

@donaldtoo , I've been watching a show on Netflix you might be interested in. It's called The World's Most Extroardinary Homes, and these people go all over the world to look at really unique architecture. Some of them are horrifying, but some are really neat. The very first episode was in Spain, and the first house they went to was AWFUL. It was rusted steel boxes set into the countryside and it's minimalist....even the walls inside are the same rusted steel. No artwork or anything on the walls...you go into the bedroom and it's just....walls. There's not even a bed visible. It looks like an unfurnished house, because they made it so that everything is hidden behind a door or in the floor, etc. I personally found that one hideous, but there were some in India that were really cool! There's one where it definitely wouldn't work in a different climate....it looked like the only spaces that were actually enclosed were the bedrooms. The rest is just a roof over the floor, but it was really neat looking, and they have a swimming pool that's elevated so that rats and frogs and such can't get to it and attract snakes. That was neat. And there was one that was an interesting concept, using old remnants of other houses like....they got a whole bunch of doors and put them side by side and end to end to creat the facade of the house. And there was one in Miami that has a transparent swimming pool, and it's above another swimming pool and an outdoor seating area....I really loved how that one looked, but I have to wonder how one would keep the acryllic clean so you could always see through it. There were some really unique things in Japan, too....one had transparent bricks on the frontside facade, so it has a really cool glittering wall, and no one can see in..it's on a really busy street in the city, and they put a kind of courtyard behind that wall, so when you're inside, you feel like you're in the middle nature....you can't see the street outside, and it's beautiful in this little garden. Then was another hideous one where the whole house is glass, but it's surrounded by concrete construction blocks for privacy. The construction blocks look dirty and just....it looks like they put a glass box into a junkyard or construction zone. You're looking out of these wall to wall, floor to ceiling glass windows....at concrete blocks. WHY??? And it's right along the water, so you look out the one direction and there's this beautiful view of the water and trees and whatnot, and all the other walls are filthy concrete blocks. If they had used something like bamboo or something, it could have been so pretty. Instead it's really jarring.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see what some other firms are designing for their clients, and who knows, you might get some ideas.

StarWarsGirl

@Figgy1
Elnor better not be permanently dead. I'm still mad about Icheb; they can't also kill off Elnor.

Guinan is totally the Watcher, right? I mean, it's so unbelievably obvious.

I really am not a fan of the Raffi/Seven pairing. It came seemingly out of nowhere, they have no chemistry, and as far as I'm concerned, if Seven was going to end up with anyone, it should have been the Doctor.

My favorite Seven line was about how they like her in the 21st century and how shocked she is. 🤣 Along with the "cellular picture".

donaldtoo

@donaldtoo , I've been watching a show on Netflix you might be interested in. It's called The World's Most Extroardinary Homes, and these people go all over the world to look at really unique architecture. Some of them are horrifying, but some are really neat. The very first episode was in Spain, and the first house they went to was AWFUL. It was rusted steel boxes set into the countryside and it's minimalist....even the walls inside are the same rusted steel. No artwork or anything on the walls...you go into the bedroom and it's just....walls. There's not even a bed visible. It looks like an unfurnished house, because they made it so that everything is hidden behind a door or in the floor, etc. I personally found that one hideous, but there were some in India that were really cool! There's one where it definitely wouldn't work in a different climate....it looked like the only spaces that were actually enclosed were the bedrooms. The rest is just a roof over the floor, but it was really neat looking, and they have a swimming pool that's elevated so that rats and frogs and such can't get to it and attract snakes. That was neat. And there was one that was an interesting concept, using old remnants of other houses like....they got a whole bunch of doors and put them side by side and end to end to creat the facade of the house. And there was one in Miami that has a transparent swimming pool, and it's above another swimming pool and an outdoor seating area....I really loved how that one looked, but I have to wonder how one would keep the acryllic clean so you could always see through it. There were some really unique things in Japan, too....one had transparent bricks on the frontside facade, so it has a really cool glittering wall, and no one can see in..it's on a really busy street in the city, and they put a kind of courtyard behind that wall, so when you're inside, you feel like you're in the middle nature....you can't see the street outside, and it's beautiful in this little garden. Then was another hideous one where the whole house is glass, but it's surrounded by concrete construction blocks for privacy. The construction blocks look dirty and just....it looks like they put a glass box into a junkyard or construction zone. You're looking out of these wall to wall, floor to ceiling glass windows....at concrete blocks. WHY??? And it's right along the water, so you look out the one direction and there's this beautiful view of the water and trees and whatnot, and all the other walls are filthy concrete blocks. If they had used something like bamboo or something, it could have been so pretty. Instead it's really jarring.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see what some other firms are designing for their clients, and who knows, you might get some ideas.

Cool…!!! :)
I’m actually a bit all over the place (which is actually a good thing for a designer ;)) with my favorite residential architectural styles, but, minimalist, although I can appreciate the concept, is not one of my faves. White everywhere is off putting to me as well. I need some color to spice things up.
As far as pools go…
We had a client a while back that wanted three windows from his pool looking into his man cave at the same level. I know it went into construction documents after I worked on the design, but, I’m not sure of the status…we’re still so darn busy…thankfully.
I also did a design on Lake Travis recently where the wife wanted to research the cost of a glass bottom pool above a terrace below…yea, they didn’t have quite the budget for it, so we designed it where there’s an upper pool at the “Owner’s Retreat” level, that then cascades down into another pool at the game room and secondary bedroom level below.
Just a few examples below, from our residential portfolio, that I could definitely live in…again, all over the place…rustic, Mediterranean, a little mid-century modern-ish…!!!!!!! :joyfull:🤪🤣

FC24BB7E-6EDC-4D49-A3F1-B67500BD2243.jpeg0AEFA972-3EDB-4BCB-9927-55452F1B666F.jpegC36BFA96-94FF-4CFE-8834-AAB8E2506FB3.jpeg26F280BD-670F-46C4-8AD8-17E8DE59D25C.jpeg6F892690-87E8-4F9C-880F-2BF5D283DADA.jpeg3F1A7CCB-2E3D-42E4-B877-E4615DC18C06.jpegCF1C48BB-9DEA-4F62-B3CE-1A549DBD04DD.jpeg0FF03914-50DA-4C5E-A8BE-FBE74B032B28.jpeg7894BC1E-90F3-4EBF-BDAF-3C68A007634A.jpegD36083C9-EEF9-4A7A-AF9E-970DFEF13D72.jpeg

StarWarsGirl

My wife was half Irish so subsequently our children were 1/4 Irish. Me? I don't have one drop of Irish blood, but I was the only one that wore green on St. Patrick's Day.
It's a family rumor that we have Irish, but it would have had to have been during the revolution unless things just got lost in history. We do have people on the tree who popped out of nowhere (hence the African). The DNA test can't tell the difference between English and Irish, but I know for a fact I'm English.

What's funny is my dad's aunts used to insist that they were not German; they were English. Then I did the family research. There was one English person on their side of the family (most of my English is from Mom's side with one recent relative on my dad's mom's side). It was Dutch, French, and a whole lotta German. 🤣 And I now have a DNA test to prove it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom