The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
How are your ankles and don't forget to pack your ankle braces
The right one finally feels better. I went to the pool and got it straightened out for now.

The left one is kind of iffy. I had to stop my workout partway through on Thursday and laid off yesterday. I don't have time to do anything today, but tomorrow I might go to the pool to get it worked out. I have a feeling it's less the ankle than plantar faciatis, which the podiatrist told me I've had for a while now thanks for falling arches (which Mom also has). I probably need to go see her again; I've just been completely swamped with other stuff.

And yes, I'm taking the brace to SC.

donaldtoo

Office Christmas party last night was AWESOME…!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Free booze all night, although I only had one vodka martini, 2 glasses of wine, and 3 strong rum and Coke’s. Others had A LOT more and had a room at the hotel. Carolyn doesn’t drink much, so she drove us home.
Forgot to get a pic of our entrees..!!!!! :facepalm:
Carolyn had the pan seared red snapper, and I had the braised short rib in grits…both excellent…!!!!! :hungry:
Some pics from the night…!!! :)

AB2992FA-1816-4EE3-A412-EAE941CDC956.jpegE6611489-44BD-4C23-9C72-FA8667B93DEB.jpeg3631A2EC-CA98-4F48-9C54-08FB1BAE3F67.jpeg81BB3526-3A7B-4468-9FFC-4F099ED6293B.jpeg410DA713-A060-4FF2-A06F-AEC629BC23F3.jpegD668D0B3-F14A-4E37-831A-58AF987D9B0B.jpeg28272B6B-AB25-4C15-8EED-7B12EAE02F90.jpeg8B75D8E5-D9CB-49F4-A9E7-59A057259078.jpeg535185EE-33C9-4DB5-83EA-CFEE6381B54E.jpeg94C9665E-FCE2-479B-B97D-85B7389939E4.jpeg

donaldtoo

Partly agree with that. I would like to share, however, that the hiring model in (some) companies now is not for lifelong commitment employees. I recall being between jobs a few times (one of them, I was there 16 years). When I went on interviews for other jobs, I sensed that the hiring people (HR depts.) viewed my lack of being employed at a few different companies (within 16 years) as more of "inertia" on my part. That was bizarre to me, as I was a loyal employee, and gave 100%.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to finally find another company that really appreciated my longevity, and I had good references, etc., and finally found a job at that point. I think it's a grab-bag nowadays, with a number of companies preferring independent contractors, etc., while some other companies may prefer a more traditional employee model, such as you and your dad.

Yes, each company dynamic is different.
If I think back to the first part of the last century, the employer/employee relationship was definitely more adversarial. The mid to later part, maybe not so much. Pop landed his job with IBM back in ‘68. He got a pension, Cadillac health coverage, etc. He really loved his job.
As I posted, it goes both ways, based on company culture/leadership.
The preferring longevity, as opposed to “job hopping” seems like a no-brainer, but, others may see the ability to quickly adapt new skills and to a new work situation as an advantage.
I just hope I don’t hafta’ worry about it all for too many more years…!!!!! :hilarious:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Free booze all night, although I only had one vodka martini, 2 glasses of wine, and 3 strong rum and Coke’s. Others had A LOT more and had a room at the hotel. Carolyn doesn’t drink much, so she drove us home.
Carolyn had the pan seared red snapper, and I had the braised short rib in grits…both excellent…!!!!! :hungry:

View attachment 606649View attachment 606650View attachment 606651View attachment 606652View attachment 606653View attachment 606654View attachment 606655View attachment 606656View attachment 606657View attachment 606658

Looks like a fancy but fun Christmas party! Our school district doesn't do a holiday party for us anymore, and we always had to pay to attend. So tonight so of my coworkers are getting together to have our own Christmas party at a local Mexican restaurant, it should be fun and full of margaritas!

donaldtoo

Thats pretty cool. When I liked country music George Strait was one of my favorites. I hope you get to meet him. From what I’ve heard about him he seems like a decent guy/celebrity.

Yes, he’s very personable.
Carolyn actually has met him before, and said he was really nice. She, and some others, met him backstage in Las Vegas in the early 80’s, before her and I ever met.
Again, from what I know, a really nice, down to earth kinda’ guy. :)

donaldtoo

Looks like a fancy but fun Christmas party! Our school district doesn't do a holiday party for us anymore, and we always had to pay to attend. So tonight so of my coworkers are getting together to have our own Christmas party at a local Mexican restaurant, it should be fun and full of margaritas!

Can’t go wrong with that…!!!!! :hungry:
Enjoy…!!! :)

donaldtoo

I think a lot of it has to do with the types of companies. Obviously, what you are doing requires special skills. Not every Joe off the street can do what you do, and the company recognizes how important good employees with those necessary skills are. The company my husband works for is similiar. They do a lot for their employees and reward them for extra work. But my husband is a salaried employee. I am a wage worker in a large company, in which there are no particular skills required beyond being able to count...which does seem to be difficult for some, but....anyway. If one person leaves, there are probably more people looking for a job. We have a REALLY high turn over rate. We have somewhere around 300 employees now, and there are very few who have been there as long as I have. I end up training a LOT of new people. There are new people every week. The company doesn't particularly care whether the employees are happy or not. And the company who took us over....they are well-known, but apparently hadn't made a profit for several years until corona forced everyone to shop online because of all the lockdowns. So now they finally made a profit. The company I work for has made a profit every year, and that profit has increased each year, making us a valuable asset to the new company. But considering they hadn't made a profit for several years, it's not suprising that they are rather cheap when it comes to rewarding employees. There was no money for extras.

I've thought about getting a different job, but the thing that holds me back is that with this job, I'm on an on-call basis. I don't have set hours. I have what they call a zero hour contract. I have no obligation to have hours at all, but the company is also not obligated to schedule me. Every week, I fill in online what my availability for the next week is. If I want a week off, I can just set it to zero hours. Most people have a contract for a certain number of hours, and they have to be available for the same hours every week and the company decides which of those available hours they want the person to work, and the average for the year is supposed to work out to whatever their contract is for. So a person might have a 20 hour contract, but have to be available for 30 hours each week at set times. If it's busy, the company will schedule them for all 30 of those hours. If it's not, they might only be scheduled for 15 hours that week. But they get paid for 20 hours, whether they work 30 or 10 hours, and by the end of the year, it's supposed to average out. I don't want to have that kind of contract. I like being free to say I can't work during the summer vacation if we want to go somewhere. With the contract for a certain number of hours, you can only have 2 weeks vacation at a time, and it has to work out with all the other people wanting vacation....they can say no, you can't have vacation at this time. They can't tell me I can't take vacation at a certain time, and they can't limit the number of days I take. I just say "I can't work from this date to that date". Most companies don't work like that, even with their zero hour contracts. With most companies, you fill in your availability one time, and you have to be available at that time every week in case they need you. You can't change it weekly because you have parent teacher conferences this week, or a dentist appointment next Thursday. You have to set your appointments around your availability, and there's no guarantee that you'll be needed at that time, so you may not be working, but you also can't make any plans, because if they call you and say "We need you to come in today" and you say you have an appointment, you either postpone your appointment, or you lose your job. They have no obligation to give you work, so if you want to keep your job, you'd better make yourself available. You also can't take vacations in the normal vacation periods, because that's when the regular workers take their vacations and that's when you are most needed to work in place of those people while they are on vacation. I've been working with this company for 13 years and have built up seniority. I get whatever hours I set as available. I wouldn't get that if I switched jobs, and there's no guarantee that another employer would be any better with compensation and appreciation of employees. With "unskilled" labor, they don't really have to be good at that, because people have to work to pay the bills and can't afford to be unemployed....they have to take what they can get. Employers know that they don't have to do anything special, because if you quit, they can easily replace you, and it's not likely you'll quit when you need to have a job. So switching to a different company would actually work against me, because I wouldn't have the flexibility I have now. I may not always feel appreciated, but I at least have work when I want it.

Wow. That’s definitely different.
I guess I’m more like the dad from the 40’s scene from CoP…
I’m part of the “rat race”…I get up, shower, throw on my clothes, and join the other “rats” in traffic…same place, same time, 5 days a week, rinse and repeat…!!!!! :hilarious:

Tony the Tigger

It hasn't been my day, my week, my month, or even my year...

day ride GIF
Yes, it’s a Bon Jovi song. #newjersey

donaldtoo

That's true, too, but I think it's a vicious cycle...the employees don't get rewarded for their hard work, and feel unappreciated, so don't feel loyal to the company. The company does nothing for me, so why should I do anything for the company? Then the company is like "Hey, the employees aren't willing to do anything extra, why should we?" We don't normally work on Sundays, but when it's busy, they ask people to come in on Sundays. It's completely voluntary...you don't HAVE to, but they want you to. Up till last year I think? they didn't pay any extra for those days. Who wants to give up their weekend for the same amount of pay as normal? They wanted you to do something extra for them, but didn't want to do anything extra for the people who did that, so no one ever signed up for it, and they couldn't figure out why no one wanted to do that. Loyalty works both ways. If you treat me well, I'm going to treat you well in return. But if you make a bunch of demands of me and refuse to compensate me appropriately, I'm not going out of my way to do you any favors. Several years ago, it was really busy for a while and they were begging employees to PLEASE come in early if they could, stay late if they could, etc. I made an effort to bust my bum to get their 30 minutes early to start....it's not much, but do that 4 times a week, and work an extra 15 minutes late, that adds up. Except, they have it set to that when you clock in, it doesn't register until your scheduled start time. So if I was scheduled to start at 9 and I clocked in at 8:30 and started immediately, the clock didn't register my start time as 8:30, so I didn't get paid. The managers had to go in and manually set my start time to 8:30. After a couple of weeks, my start times were still all registered as normal, though I had started early every day. So basically, I would be working for free for several hours a week. I had already asked them to fix it, and it still hadn't been done. I had also sent an email. So finally, I went in person to the manager and asked him to fix it, and one of the other managers happened to overhear and chewed me out for wasting the manager's time, because it was so busy and he didn't have time to deal with that. Well....then I don't have time to work extra. If you don't have time to ensure I'm payed correctly for the work I'm doing, I don't have time to help you out when it's busy. It has to work both ways. I stopped working extra, because it obviously wasn't appreciated. And yes, there are a LOT of people who are lazy and try to do the minimum....people who you see playing on their phones instead of working, people who walk off the work floor 5 minutes before break and don't come back till 5 minutes after break is over, etc....usually in our company, it's the 20 somethings who do that, and I get why the managers don't want to go out of their way for those people. But when you have people who have been good employees for years, it's pretty nasty to take them for granted, and telling them you don't have time to make sure they get paid for working is beyond taking them for granted.

Yes, definitely more adversarial in the case of your work situation. Sad.
I’m hourly, so I get paid for every hour I work, and I’ve always preferred it that way. And any OT is paid at time-and-a-half.

Tony the Tigger

View attachment 606649View attachment 606650View attachment 606651View attachment 606652View attachment 606653View attachment 606654View attachment 606655View attachment 606656View attachment 606657View attachment 606658
That is way nicer than my record store lunch meeting will be tomorrow 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom