The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
OMG, it's Hondagate all over again. Oh the humanities.
Not so much. Laptop or mac has their own advantages.
What he said. If you're doing a lot of graphic design or video editing, you probably want a Mac. If you're on spreadsheets or Word docs all day (like I am) or accounting software (which I will eventually be on) then a PC is definitely better

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I Didnt Do It John Krasinski GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I've never read a graphic novel, but my assumption is it's kind of like a comic book but longer? I really have no idea. E has to read 4 graphic novels for her English class, and she's really into anime and such anyway, so she's cool with it. I went ahead and ordered all the extra Outlander content last night; the graphic novel, the Lord John books, and the story/novella compilations. I figure I love the main series, why wouldn't I like the extra content, right? And there are some backstory things that I really want to read. Happy birthday to me, I guess.
I've read a few. One that I had to read for a college class and two that I read as part of a series because they were extensions of the existing story. I admire the talent of the artists drawing the characters. But I just don't care as much for reading them. Plus they're hard on my eyes to read, even with my glasses.

Songbird76

I wonder if it's a combination of your curfew and normal holiday delays
Shouldn't be. A, the curfew doesn't apply to deliveries this time. You are allowed to be out as late as you want. Just that stores have to be closed to customers. But I work at a warehouse for an online store, and we still work until at least 11:00 pm when the last delivery truck is loaded and sent off. So that shouldn't be affected. And B, Christmas isn't as big here as it is in the US. For one thing, it's a tiny country...you don't have to send things for Christmas so far in advance. Most mail is delivered the day after it's sent. You can drive from one end of the country to the other in a few hours. So as long as it's a company within the Netherlands, which it was, it shouldn't take longer than a day to get to its destination, even allowing for sorting centers and such. I ordered it before noon, so they have the whole day to put together my package, which shouldn't take very long, and get it sent out. Even if it doesn't get sent out until the evening, it would still be sorted the next business day and delivered that afternoon. So worst case scenario, it should be delivered Monday. The ONLY problem I could foresee is that there is a shortage of emplyees or truck drivers because of Corona. We have several people with Covid right now, so we're shorthanded, but even so, we catch up pretty quickly. But even allowing for that, I ordered it early enough in the day that even if they were behind, they should have gotten to my order before they closed for the day.

Songbird76

That's ridiculous. I'm not a fan of projects that don't teach something. What exactly are they learning from this project?
Well, it's supposed to be kind of real world experience. They are learning to research and to design a product based on whatever the company needs. They did a project once for a cardboard company who wanted to expand beyond just boxes. What other things could they make using cardboard? The kids had to research what products were already made with cardboard, and what things were made with other materials that COULD be made with cardboard. And their first project this year was just a research project. They had to test out several different brands of paper towel to see which was the best. They had to come up with their own things to test...what's important in a paper towel? What are the top brands? Which is the most absorbant, which is the strongest, which is the softest, which is the cheapest? It's all about learning what to look for and how to design a product to meet a specific need. What's important to the client? What qualities does it have to have? How can it be made more efficiently, cheaper, faster? In the original concept, they were supposed to find out if it was more efficient or cheaper to clean up the chemicals in the waste water to be recycled, I think...to prevent pollution. They already have a method, but they wanted to know if this other method was better. So that's what the kids are supposed to be doing. They are learning to research current methods and how to apply them. It would be great....IF they weren't 15 year olds still in high school. This is stuff that should be done by professional scientists, not kids. It involves harmful and toxic chemicals, complicated equipment, and difficult math and chemistry that they haven't learned about yet. This isn't basic science. It's really complicated stuff. And yes, E and Rhiana are among the top students in their class....they understand more than the others, but even they are having a hard time with this, and they've got like 15 kids in the class doing this project, most of it falling on E's shoulders because Rhiana can't be there most of the time and no one else understands how to do the equations. But part of what frustrates her is that they've strayed so far from the original concept. It's no longer about finding out if it's efficient or cheaper, but about how to actually do it, which that was never supposed to be them actually doing it. They were supposed to research available methods and what was needed for each one, not learning how to do it. At least that's my understanding of it. She's come home so many times complaining "They changed it again! Now we have to....." They even had a meeting in their class last week or so, because the teacher was a bit unhappy with the company, feeling like they were expecting too much of the kids. So the teacher wanted feedback from the kids about it. What was going well, what was frustrating, what were they having a hard time with, etc. and one of the things was the constant changing....first ibuprofen, then paracetamol, now caffeine, first just looking into efficiency and cost, now having to actually apply it using complex chemistry that they haven't learned about yet in Chemistry class. So how the project kept changing and all the work they had done went into the garbage because what you needed for one thing was different than what you need for the other. So they basically have to keep starting over.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
. So that's what the kids are supposed to be doing. They are learning to research current methods and how to apply them. It would be great....IF they weren't 15 year olds still in high school. This is stuff that should be done by professional scientists, not kids. It involves harmful and toxic chemicals, complicated equipment, and difficult math and chemistry that they haven't learned about yet. This isn't basic science. It's really complicated stuff. And yes, E and Rhiana are among the top students in their class....they understand more than the others, but even they are having a hard time with this, and they've got like 15 kids in the class doing this project, most of it falling on E's shoulders because Rhiana can't be there most of the time and no one else understands how to do the equations.
I was gonna say...this feels more akin to what I was doing in my college CAPSTONE class, the last class you take after all your other major courses, not something you should be taking in what is basically high school.

Cesar R M

@Cesar R M Have you tried Windows 11 yet? My new computer came with it. My Surface has the option of upgrading, and I'm like, no thank you. :hilarious:
Nope. I hated it from the start.
They are doing the same mistakes of Windows 8.
Where they tried to shove a Tablet style mode. Which was extremely ineffective for professional mode.
In Windows 11, they obviously are trying to copy MAC to lure MAC users, which is stupid.

Hence why Windows 11 has similar levels of low migrations than Windows 8.

Now to mention the scheduler, which was designed for Alder Lake (intel new cpus) is very idiotic. And sometimes does more harm than good.
To make things worse, default advanced installation enables secure mode by default, that is a 40% performance hit.
Hitting very hard multimedia apps and games.

Cesar R M

I do not do Apple products of any kind (my parents do though).

I use Word and Excel heavily, and I really hate the Mac OS. So it's a PC life for me.
Same, and since the new processor is amazing on the MAC. Having to use Rosetta or emulators for a ton of stuff that is not native, like games.. is a big nono.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom