The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

@StarWarsGirl , you'll be able to relate to this. I know how much you love group projects!

So E has a class in research and design technology. They have real businesses that give the kids an assignment to come up with a new product. They work in groups, which has typically not been E's favorite aspect, because she ends up being the one doing the lion's share of the work. This year, there are fewer kids in the class, but the work is more serious, too. It was a mandatory class in the first two years, last year it was an elective, and this year, only the kids doing the Science-based profiles can take it as an elective. So this project is driving her bonkers. They keep changing it. So the company asked the kids to look into whether it was cost effective to invest in technology that purifies water in a certain way? I'm not sure exactly, but it has something to do with chemicals left in the body after consumption, and how they would get rid of those chemicals in waste water maybe? So they divided up into groups and some kids were looking at getting rid of like....bacteria? And some were looking into getting rid of medicines. She chose medicine, and at first they wanted the kids to focus on ibuprofen. So she starts researching methods of detecting levels of chemicals in water, and there were a couple different ways, but the only way to do ibuprofen was with a spectrometer, which the school has, but it's broken. So she went to the teacher, explained they didn't have access to that, but the teacher told them to look into this other thing, but they couldn't do that because they needed pure ibuprofen, which they couldn't get. But the company could get pure paracetamol, so they switched to that, which changed some of the methods available. But then in E's research, she discovered that the body already gets rid of that on its own, so there wouldn't be any in the waste water, rendering their research kind of useless. But then the company discovered that since these are 15 year-olds, they aren't allowed to give the amounts of that drug in pure form to minors, so they had to switch to caffeine. Although the caffeine they are using could be deadly in its pure form I guess? The teacher told them it's like 20 times stronger than what's in a redbull maybe, which may or may not be an exaggeration, but it's dangerous anyhow.

But then these are 15 year olds...they haven't even learned the methods of doing this stuff in Chemistry yet, so they had to send one kid from each group to sit down with the Chemistry teacher to explain how to do these calculations, but E was the only one who understood it. So she ended up doing all the calculations for all the groups, because no one else knew what they were doing, though they did at least try. They got all their calculations, and then Monday last week, E and her friend Rhiana went to the company to do the experiments, because it turns out they have a spectrometer, but of course they needed supervision. So they do all the experiments, write down all the measurements, and they are supposed to do the next step on Tuesday. But she had sent all the info to the guy from the company who is working with the class on this project, and he sends back an email saying "Yeah, it all looks good, except I notice you have Iron 2 chloride here, and it needs to be Iron 3 chloride" which means all her calculations and experiments are useless, because they based it on the wrong form of Iron chloride. Which that's another thing....the chemistry teacher happened to see that their plan involved using chloride and she was like "WHAT??? That stuff is extremely dangerous!!" So they can't give acetaminiphen to 15 year olds, but they can let them work with chloride? Whatever, but the thing that really frustrated E was that in the initial stages, the teacher gave them a printout of what they'd be doing, and they always get a little booklet from the company assigning the project, outlining the specifics. They are supposed to read that before they start so they know what they are doing. The booklet said Iron 3 chloride, and the printout from the teacher said Iron 2 Chloride, so she asked the teacher about it, and the teacher said no, they were using Iron 2 chloride, so ignore what the booklet said. And now the company assigning the project says no, it needs to be Iron 3 chloride, which would mean she has to everything over again....and they are supposed to do the next round of experiments on Tuesday, for which they'd need the measurements in a different form. And the final presentation is in two weeks. They've been doing this project since October I think? So it's taken them a couple of months to do all the calculations and set up the time to go to the company to use the spectrometer, and now it's all for nothing because the teacher ignored the booklet. And they have 2 weeks to fix it and redo 2 months of work. Plus, Rhiana is taking extra classes, so she has other classes at the same time as this class, so she can't come to all the classes for this subject. She has to go to the other classes instead, and then work on this class when she's done with those, so she's not always there to help out. 2 months of work to redo in 2 weeks, and the girl who did the first round of experiments with her isn't available, but no one else understands it enough to do it. These are 15 year old kids that they are asking to do professional level chemistry experiments.

Needless to say, there's a bit of stress in our house this weekend.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, my package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday (the one that was confirmed for the 7th, and then confirmed for the 10th) did not arrive. (I last checked at 8:00 PM last night.)

Got up this morning around 5:30 AM, and looked out front -- there it (finally) was on the porch! When the heck to they deliver now -- at midnight??!! :jawdrop: Good grief!

Lilofan

So, my package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday (the one that was confirmed for the 7th, and then confirmed for the 10th) did not arrive. (I last checked at 8:00 PM last night.)

Got up this morning around 5:30 AM, and looked out front -- there it (finally) was on the porch! When the heck to they deliver now -- at midnight??!! :jawdrop: Good grief!
Good that you got it! Some I know never got their packages, probably those " porch pirates " driving around using their five finger discount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom