The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

What time of day was that? The mall looks dead. I haven’t been to that mall in over a decade.
I try to do my morning walks at our largest mall. It is only about 3 miles from my apartment. I go usually at 10am and the mall doesn't open for business until 11am. That picture is exactly what the place looks like at 10am. Just a bunch of gray/blue haired (or bald) people hobbling along trying to keep the joints from freezing up. At 11am the place is mobbed. Even was during the worst of the Pandemic.

Goofyernmost

I seldom purchase anything at malls...but i like to go now and then to "experience" them.
Additionally, sometimes throughout the year I want to go for a lengthy walk, but depending on the month, it might be too cold...or rainy...or whatever. The mall is a good place to get some exercise without the weather being a factor. ;)
A lot of us ancient people do that as a habit. Recently our mall has removed a lot of the bench seats that where scattered through out the mall. I am taking that personally. I have three vertebrae (3,4,5) with disc/nerve problems medically known as stenosis. Those three are directly nerve connected to my legs. I can walk but I have to stop often. My legs start to feel weak and are painful. When that happens I have to sit. All it takes is about a minute and I can get back up and walk another length before I have to stop again. Without those benches it is a real challenge to do my walking.

I almost feel like they are adapting the Disney philosophy that people that are sitting outside the stores aren't buying anything. The part that they miss out on is in cases like mine and a lot of the elderly. If we cannot briefly rest, we won't be going into the mall at all. No sales that way either. I do occasionally buy stuff at the mall. One big one was one of the car dealers in the area had placed a new car on display in the mall. I walked by it for months always stopping to look at it because I thought it looked nice, so I went to the dealer and told them I wanted to buy that car. It was a very nice car and I liked it a lot but after three years the warrantee was done so I leased my current car from the same dealer.

This was my mall walker contribution to the economy. Loved that car and even though I enjoy driving my current one, just below this one. I do miss this one. I was perfectly designed and colored to work with the Christmas Rudolph Red nose and Reindeer Antlers.

1624453893891.jpeg

1624454159973.png

Figgy1

Premium Member
A lot of us ancient people do that as a habit. Recently our mall has removed a lot of the bench seats that where scattered through out the mall. I am taking that personally. I have three vertebrae (3,4,5) with disc/nerve problems medically known as stenosis. Those three are directly nerve connected to my legs. I can walk but I have to stop often. My legs start to feel weak and are painful. When that happens I have to sit. All it takes is about a minute and I can get back up and walk another length before I have to stop again. Without those benches it is a real challenge to do my walking.

I almost feel like they are adapting the Disney philosophy that people that are sitting outside the stores aren't buying anything. The part that they miss out on is in cases like mine and a lot of the elderly. If we cannot briefly rest, we won't be going into the mall at all. No sales that way either. I do occasionally buy stuff at the mall. One big one was one of the car dealers in the area had placed a new car on display in the mall. I walked by it for months always stopping to look at it because I thought it looked nice, so I went to the dealer and told them I wanted to buy that car. It was a very nice car and I liked it a lot but after three years the warrantee was done so I leased my current car from the same dealer.

This was my mall walker contribution to the economy. Loved that car and even though I enjoy driving my current one, just below this one. I do miss this one. I was perfectly designed and colored to work with the Christmas Rudolph Red nose and Reindeer Antlers.

View attachment 565632

View attachment 565634
It's not just ancient people who like to mall walk! Those that live in the subartic also find that it's is good way to get steps in

MySmallWorldof4

View attachment 565632

View attachment 565634
Do you know if the bench removal was temporary due to the pandemic? Maybe inquire if they will replace them. Seems ridiculous to not have seating in a mall.

MouseDreaming

I was a mall rat when I was young. My two favorite stores were Sharper Image and Brookstone. Those stores had full body massage chairs which I enjoyed and sampled without ever buying one. At least in Planet Fitness gyms with the black card membership it comes with unlimited use of massage chairs nationwide. At the upscale mall in Orlando called the Mall of Millenia which is in actually a dangerous part of Orlando to live in ( a few minutes from touristy International Drive ) there are mall policies posted on dress code ( offensive attire worn is not allowed etc ). It has been a while since I was at a mall.

I seldom purchase anything at malls...but I like to go now and then to "experience" them.
Additionally, sometimes throughout the year I want to go for a lengthy walk, but depending on the month, it might be too cold...or rainy...or whatever. The mall is a good place to get some exercise without the weather being a factor. ;)
It looks like I will be heading to the mall, today. I went to kohls yesterday, in search of a new wallet for myself. The one I have now, the clasp for the part that holds coins broke. Every time I open it, it rains coins. Kohls only had 3. I didn't really like any of them. The shelves were so bare throughout the store, it felt sad, really.

StarWarsGirl

@StarWarsGirl View attachment 565628 feel free to update your FB status
So yesterday, I had my video visit with the allergist. In the middle of the conversation, he says, "Is that a cat?" Belle of course had walked into camera. I said yes, yes it was. "You know you're allergic to cats?" I'm like....uh, since when? The only time I ever notice it is if fur happens to get in my eyes.

I told him they're both shorthairs and that I've had Belle for 12 years (implying that she's not going anywhere!) and I run a HEPA filter in my room. I did not tell him that Belle sleeps with me and she comes in for cuddles on my face every morning. 😂

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It looks like I will be heading to the mall, today. I went to kohls yesterday, in search of a new wallet for myself. The one I have now, the clasp for the part that holds coins broke. Every time I open it, it rains coins. Kohls only had 3. I didn't really like any of them. The shelves were so bare throughout the store, it felt sad, really.
I went to a Kohl’s two weeks ago and a large section of the store was empty. I thought that was sad at the time too.

SteveBrickNJ

Well you will certainly have lots more options at the mall.
Happy shopping!

Lilofan

I seldom purchase anything at malls...but I like to go now and then to "experience" them.
In malls near me, seniors have groups of mall walkers that walk the long hallways of the mall one hour before the mall opens. It seems like a great way to get a cardio workout without mall traffic or the heat or cold of the outside environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom