The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

John park hopper

YOW...!!!!! :facepalm:
But, I’m old enough to remember when gas was a little less than $0.35 a gallon, and folks still complained about the price back then, too...!!!!! :hilarious:
Those were the days I can remember when gas stations had gas wars --lowest I remember 24 cents a gallon. My 56 Chevy hot rod got 8 miles to the gallon if I kept my foot off the gas. Gas just jumped to $2.89 here (ridiculous)

FutureCEO

I'd be disappointed if there wasn't something crazy going on, so I know we can always count on you for surprises! ;) :)

Glad you could straighten out the lease situation (whew!), but that maintenance guy needs to get out now!

Really, wishing you the best, and you have proven time and again that you're a survivor -- you'll do very well with your latest venture. Some hesitation, second-guessing, etc., is to be expected (there would be something wrong with you if you never questioned big decisions). But seriously, if you could pull off your business during COVID, this latest situation will be a piece of cake for you! :happy:

I want to be my own boss but then again I don't because who knows how well you would do. My mom says I should open up a bakery.

I did make bread for the first time yesterday. Came out rather well without any special equipment except a mixer and a stove.

Songbird76

I suspect I would be staying home a lot more with prices like that. I paid $2.99 per gallon yesterday and that is the highest I have seen it in about 6 years.
They try to incentivise carpooling or using public transportation or riding a bike....it's an environmental thing. There's a whole chapter in the Rules of the Road book about how to drive in a more environmentally friendly way. So by making it so expensive to drive, they steer people toward cleaner options.

John park hopper

They try to incentivise carpooling or using public transportation or riding a bike....it's an environmental thing. There's a whole chapter in the Rules of the Road book about how to drive in a more environmentally friendly way. So by making it so expensive to drive, they steer people toward cleaner options.
It is hard to compare European countries to the US as many are the size of some of our States. I'm not trying to be political but until we have a viable alternative to the internal combustion engine it is foolish to get rid of it without a replacement people can afford. The only people being hurt are the poor and middle class

Songbird76

I think they have a very efficient public transportation system over there that is used a lot.
It kind of depends on where you are. If you're in a big city like Amsterdam or Den Haag, yes, for sure they have really good transportation options. Where I live, it's much easier to ride a bike if it's close enough. I work about a 25 minute drive from my house, but if I want to take public transportation, I have to plan in advance because there's no bus that goes to my neighborhood unless I order it the day before. You can reserve a seat on it, and then it comes, but if you don't reserve it, it doesn't. It's also only available once an hour. So I have to order it for 2 hours before I need to be at work, then once I get to the station to transfer buses, I have to wait almost an hour for the transfer, then walk a kilometer from the bus stop to my work. It's really not convenient.

When Corona hit, they shut down most public transportation. What's available is bare minimum and there are some places that have nothing at all. My husband and I also have this running joke about Breda. Every time we go to Breda, there are problems with the public transportation. We went for a weekend once and had to take a taxi from the train station to the hotel because there was no bus service there. But then we were stuck! We couldn't get anywhere and nothing was in walking distance. Then one time we wanted to take a train to a Rosendaal (not sure if I spelled it correctly) and when we got to Breda, the train was no longer running and we had to take a bus, but the shuttles they were using had no structure for lines, so people just rushed as soon as the bus pulled up and whoever was closest to where it stopped got on. We had been waiting for ages and just couldn't manage to get close enough to the doors. It took such a long time, so we were really late getting to where we wanted to go, so when we had to take a bus back to Breda to the train station, and when we got there, there was only one train back to Den Bosch where we needed to transfer. We got back to Den Bosch and there were no more trains going back to Arnhem. Fortunately for us, it wasn't our fault that it took so long, so they had to make sure we got home because we bought return tickets and had started our journey early enough that we should have been able to make it if there hadn't been delays. They had to order us a taxt from Den Bosch to Arnhem and we didn't have to pay. But every time we go through Breda, the trains are down or everything is delayed.

Goofyernmost

That is cool, but it doesn't fix the problem in a place that is as spread out as things are here in the US. In order to have options like riding a bike to work you have to live relatively close to your workplace. In order to have an effective urban transportation system it requires easy access and connections to almost everywhere locally. In other words, population density in one location. Places like NYC are able to have a very complete transportation system because so many people that live in the city actually work in the city and all that is required are spokes outside the city limits to transport people into the City. But even then those spokes are connected to smaller population centers. It seems to me that, from what I have witnessed, which is limited, in Europe. That naturally formed over the centuries. If you worked in the cities you lived in that city and rural living was basically confined to agricultural endeavors that had the job basically be at home. Unfortunately, an automobile connected society like this country really doesn't lend itself to that kind of reality. All that would do here is make oil companies far more wealthy then they are already.

Songbird76

It is hard to compare European countries to the US as many are the size of some of our States. I'm not trying to be political but until we have a viable alternative to the internal combustion engine it is foolish to get rid of it without a replacement people can afford. The only people being hurt are the poor and middle class
Right, but it's not any different driving to work, or wherever you need to go. Just think of the country as though it's a state....I doubt many people are driving from one state to another to get to work and back unless they live right near the border. So I don't think it's hard to compare them at all. And really, you can't compare one state to another because they are so vastly different. In Wyoming, my job was 40 miles from where I lived and it took about 45 minutes to an hour to get there. But if I lived in a big city, it could take me that long to get a few miles because of traffic and stop lights, etc. Comparing one country in Europe to one state in the US is really no different than comparing two different states in my view.

FutureCEO

..I doubt many people are driving from one state to another to get to work and back unless they live right near the border. So I don't think it's hard to compare them at all.

I'm one of those people. Though it's RI. You can get from one side of the state to the next in an hour.

There is a train stop about a mile plus from work. Totally would take the train if it was closer.

Songbird76

That is cool, but it doesn't fix the problem in a place that is as spread out as things are here in the US. In order to have options like riding a bike to work you have to live relatively close to your workplace. In order to have an effective urban transportation system it requires easy access and connections to almost everywhere locally. In other words, population density in one location. Places like NYC are able to have a very complete transportation system because so many people that live in the city actually work in the city and all that is required are spokes outside the city limits to transport people into the City. But even then those spokes are connected to smaller population centers. It seems to me that, from what I have witnessed, which is limited, in Europe. That naturally formed over the centuries. If you worked in the cities you lived in that city and rural living was basically confined to agricultural endeavors that had the job basically be at home. Unfortunately, an automobile connected society like this country really doesn't lend itself to that kind of reality. All that would do here is make oil companies far more wealthy then they are already.
I live in a less densely polulated part of the Netherlands than what you are talking about, though. I can't ride my bike to work...it's way too far. I used to be able to, because the warehouse was in the town where I lived, so it was only about a 20 minute bike ride for me. But the business moved last year and now I'm a 25 minute drive away, so it would take me a long time to bike that. This isn't the typical touristy part of the Netherlands. That's why I mention carpooling and public transportation. My husband's work is also about 25-30 minutes from our house. There's no one from here to carpool with and he COULD take public transportation, but it would take him a lot longer waiting on trains. So he does drive to work, but he's been working from home since Corona started, so we've saved quite a bit on gas! But a lot fewer people in this area work in the same town where they live. There are some, obviously, but a lot of people also commute, just like in the US. I don't think any of my friends or there husbands work and live in the same city. They all commute.

John park hopper

Yes, if you live in a major US city there is public transportation In my own case when I was working I lived 50 miles from work and had to drive (no public transportation). I lived in the country because I could not afford a house close to work. Interesting-- the public bus service in Charleston SC has to be taxpayer subsidized because not enough people ride it

Songbird76

I'm one of those people. Though it's RI. You can get from one side of the state to the next in an hour.

There is a train stop about a mile plus from work. Totally would take the train if it was closer.
Yeah, I'm really close to the German border and I do know people who live in Germany, but work here. (Germany is a lot cheaper to live) But depending on where you go, the German border is as close as 15 minutes from me. My work is 25 minutes away and it's only a couple hundred yards to the German border. It would be an easy commute. There are a couple of towns that are split....part of the town is in the Netherlands, and part is in Germany. So commuting across the border in that case isn't an issue.

How long of a commute do you have, if you don't mind me asking? There's no train to where I work, so that's not an option for me, but the train station is a few miles from my house. When I worked in Didam, I took the train there and walked from the station to my work. It was only like a mile. But where I work now, I can take a bus, but the bus/train station is a few miles away, and there's no bus from my neighborhood generally, and if I ride my bike there, I have to leave it parked at the station. The one and only time I ever did that, I came back to flat tires. It's not a safe place to park your bike. Bikes get stolen a lot or people slash tires or otherwise trash them. So I don't trust it.

FutureCEO

Yeah, I'm really close to the German border and I do know people who live in Germany, but work here. (Germany is a lot cheaper to live) But depending on where you go, the German border is as close as 15 minutes from me. My work is 25 minutes away and it's only a couple hundred yards to the German border. It would be an easy commute. There are a couple of towns that are split....part of the town is in the Netherlands, and part is in Germany. So commuting across the border in that case isn't an issue.

How long of a commute do you have, if you don't mind me asking? There's no train to where I work, so that's not an option for me, but the train station is a few miles from my house. When I worked in Didam, I took the train there and walked from the station to my work. It was only like a mile. But where I work now, I can take a bus, but the bus/train station is a few miles away, and there's no bus from my neighborhood generally, and if I ride my bike there, I have to leave it parked at the station. The one and only time I ever did that, I came back to flat tires. It's not a safe place to park your bike. Bikes get stolen a lot or people slash tires or otherwise trash them. So I don't trust it.

45 minutes drive on a good day which is why I get to work early and even then the drive is a killer sometimes. I work just south of the Boston 'ring'.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Yes, if you live in a major US city there is public transportation In my own case when I was working I lived 50 miles from work and had to drive (no public transportation). I lived in the country because I could not afford a house close to work. Interesting-- the public bus service in Charleston SC has to be taxpayer subsidized because not enough people ride it
Almost all small city public bus systems are taxpayer subsidized either by charges to adjoining smaller municipalities or grants from the Federal Government. The bus fees don't even scratch the surface of the expense to operate in a smaller community less the about 200,000 people. Even the money that is collected by fares is just a tip of the iceberg even counting the sale of multi-day passes or Medicare passes.

Cesar R M

Seen this on UpWork..
"Tier 3, Jack of all trades needed.. 20 USD/h"

Tier 3 typically start at 30USD/h and can go up to 1500 USD/h (they are high level server administrators)
The next part is hilarious, because they ask expertise in 30 different systems.

In short, they want the equivalent of 6 IT experts, into one, while paying Tier 2 level knowledge :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
One of my Instant Pots died:( The part should be here Tuesday but still:cry::cry::cry:
How did you know what part it was that was broken? (I mean, unless it was a keypad that stopped working, I'm trying to figure out how you could determine what inside mechanism was broken?)

Anyway, I have another solution for you -- order take-out! That way you can avoid kitchen appliances! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom