The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I think they have a very efficient public transportation system over there that is used a lot.
Yes, I'm sure they do. I love the public transportation system in Europe. I'd park my car a lot more if we had that here. The trick is to have the population dense. Here things, even in cities, are spread apart quite widely. I can't get to downtown Raleigh without catching a bus that comes by about every 20 minutes with a stop about a half a mile away from my Apartment. I am way to lazy to use it since I am paying for a car already. And where I live is considered Raleigh, not the suburbs.

This was all a massive overreaction anyway. I lived through the gas embargo in the 70, now that was a pain in the butt and lasted for months. Go to one station and get 10 gallons, go to another for 10 more. On a trip you spent more time looking for gasoline then actually being on the road.

donaldtoo

Isn't that a character from some kid's show? He's the villain, always trying to trick the town into doing the wrong things or sabbotage their fun.

When I Googled, I found a coupla’ videos by some clown who calls himself “Robbie Rotten”...one was about him bein’ the Mayor, and the other was about a tall ice cream cone.
Couldn’t take watchin’ either long enough to know if this is who you’re referrin’ to...!!!!! 🙃:hilarious:

donaldtoo

Bottle water mentality is prevalent too. When I traveled in my younger days to Central and South America I bought bottle water and even brushed my teeth with it. I've gotten ill from drinking tap water in third world countries so I learned my lesson. Some I know from the UK buy bottle water on vacation in FL because they don't trust our tap water.

I was unaware (but, not surprised :D;)) Florida is now considered a third world country...?!!!!! :hilarious:
Seriously though, I get the bottled water thing when traveling OOC. I pretty much drink only 2 things...water and beer.
We’ve been on 3 Caribbean cruises, and we always drank bottled water during them at our ports of call, knowing full well our systems wouldn’t be used to what might be in the local water.
I’ve never had any issues from WDW water out of the tap. Beer is expensive enough there (at the Parks and Resorts, anyway ;)) as it is, so if the free ice water does the trick for me, I can’t see payin’ one red cent for the bottled stuff...plus, more money for the aforementioned beer...!!!!! :greedy:🍺:hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

Good luck with the competition and safe travels back home. I have heard of gas station outages in GA, NC, and SC. Emporia VA at the border of NC/VA has a few stations open with 87 octane gas only for now.
Thanks. Luckily 87 us all I out in. I can go over 609 miles on a full tank. (Suburban) Haven’t seen a gas issue down here in the Orlando area. I have been topping it off to be safe. Leaving at 5am tomorrow. Dd’s team competed this morning. Aside from one fall from one of the kids they had a great performance. Don’t know placement yet but they should be proud they made it to finals. There were over 100 teams in their division to start and the top 31 over the first two days of competing made it to finals. It’s an accomplishment for this team because aside from one kid, no one had ever made it to this competition.

Lilofan

Thanks. Luckily 87 us all I out in. I can go over 609 miles on a full tank. (Suburban) Haven’t seen a gas issue down here in the Orlando area. I have been topping it off to be safe. Leaving at 5am tomorrow. Dd’s team competed this morning. Aside from one fall from one of the kids they had a great performance. Don’t know placement yet but they should be proud they made it to finals. There were over 100 teams in their division to start and the top 31 over the first two days of competing made it to finals. It’s an accomplishment for this team because aside from one kid, no one had ever made it to this competition.
If I were you try to fill up between Jacksonville and the FL/GA border and that can give you perhaps enough to make it to VA.

donaldtoo

I can remember only one time over the last 3+ decades gettin’ premium gas, and it was by accident ...I was in a hurry, low on fuel, and stopped at a place I had never been to before to fuel up. Most pumps I’m familiar with have low grade to high grade fuel buttons lined up left to right. This one had them the opposite, and I didn’t notice ‘til about halfway through my fill up...lesson learned...!!!!! :hilarious:

9BE892D4-F5A0-4834-A298-4192E6FA900C.gif

Tony the Tigger

I know you were all on the edge of your seats...we're switching back from AT&T TV to DirecTV. 🤣 :oops: Waived the $150 early cancel fee because it's the same darn company. LOL.

Also finally got the key for the extra space to add on to one of my stores. That lease negotiation was *nuts* but I got them to remove the crazy paragraph about paying for improvements, and got a 5 year option to renew. So we're set until at least 2028 with an option to renew for five more years after that. May I retire then? (Btw, the morning of the 14th, I get a text at 8:44 AM from the maintenance guy who was supposed to move out of that space telling me they pushed it back from May 15th to June 1. WHAT?!?! I have people coming next week, I have an event June 12! Two and a half hours of emails and texts later, I got my darn keys!! (When you have a business, you're *always* fighting for it.)

I have to say, I had moments of thinking I should get out now. Business was exceptional through COVID. We paid off all the loans and cards. It will cost something to get the extra space up and running (but I love it) and who knows, I could find myself in tons of debt again in a few years. I have no control over foot traffic, rent is going up, payroll is going up. If I closed up now and just started bartending, I'd never have to worry about that much debt again. Fingers crossed it continues something close to what it has been.

Life is awesome and terrifying.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I know you were all on the edge of your seats...we're switching back from AT&T TV to DirecTV. 🤣 :oops: Waived the $150 early cancel fee because it's the same darn company. LOL.

Also finally got the key for the extra space to add on to one of my stores. That lease negotiation was *nuts* but I got them to remove the crazy paragraph about paying for improvements, and got a 5 year option to renew. So we're set until at least 2028 with an option to renew for five more years after that. May I retire then? (Btw, the morning of the 14th, I get a text at 8:44 AM from the maintenance guy who was supposed to move out of that space telling me they pushed it back from May 15th to June 1. WHAT?!?! I have people coming next week, I have an event June 12! Two and a half hours of emails and texts later, I got my darn keys!! (When you have a business, you're *always* fighting for it.)

I have to say, I had moments of thinking I should get out now. Business was exceptional through COVID. We paid off all the loans and cards. It will cost something to get the extra space up and running (but I love it) and who knows, I could find myself in tons of debt again in a few years. I have no control over foot traffic, rent is going up, payroll is going up. If I closed up now and just started bartending, I'd never have to worry about that much debt again. Fingers crossed it continues something close to what it has been.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! That all sounds very exciting and I hope everything works out better than expected

93boomer

Premium Member

Good news! Life certainly is both! Good luck to you for the future business.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I'd be disappointed if there wasn't something crazy going on, so I know we can always count on you for surprises! ;) :)

Glad you could straighten out the lease situation (whew!), but that maintenance guy needs to get out now!

Really, wishing you the best, and you have proven time and again that you're a survivor -- you'll do very well with your latest venture. Some hesitation, second-guessing, etc., is to be expected (there would be something wrong with you if you never questioned big decisions). But seriously, if you could pull off your business during COVID, this latest situation will be a piece of cake for you! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom