The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Oh I know there were a lot of Germans who were threatened...not just Germans, actually. (Think von Trapp family!) I was just talking about this to E yesterday. They are studying WWII in History right now, and we were talking about how it was join or die. But what I read about Wernher von Braun was that there were contradictory reports. For example, he joined in 1937, but stated to the Americans that he joined in 1939 when he was commanded to do so. No one knows if he just got the year wrong, or if it was deliberate to hide that he joined on his own. There were also accounts given by camp inmates after they were liberated that Von Braun had ordered a prisoner flogged for sabbotaging rocket parts being built in the camp, and that he watched another prisnoer be tortured. But they don't know if it was a case of mistaken identity or if he really did those things.
On the other hand, if someone is threatening you or your family, you do things you wouldn't normally do, just to survive. And the fact that he didn't give information to the Germans after the war was over and he moved to the States kind of points to him not really being a nazi sympathizer. I am just really interested in that period of history and I find it fascinating to read their stories, and I was sure I had heard his name before. It was more of a "Hey....didn't I read his name somewhere in connection with WWII?" and then I had to go look him up to see if I was right.

Yea, as I’ve posted before, Ive really been into reading, studying, and watching about WWII history since I was a child.
And yes, who knows how much of those stories are or aren’t true. Whether he joined in ‘37 or ‘39, the nazi Wehrmacht was well underway and in control years before that. He may very well have been ordered to order the flogging, and to watch the torture. Again, that wouldn’t have made it right, by any means, but, if he and family were being threatened, that involves a whole new element.
Ultimately, he lead in creating the V-1 and V-2 rockets that killed many people, mostly civilians. I have always read that he was very disturbed by that, and yes, when he came to the states to pursue his dreams of peaceful space travel and space exploration he tried to make up for it.
But, let’s face it, to this day, whoever can get ahold of rocket technology is going to use it, whether for defensive or offensive purposes, for military purposes, not only space travel and exploration. It’s not like the tech he knew and kept learning wasn’t used for military purposes by us either.

Songbird76

In other news.. my search for work continues.
I fear my sanity wont last long at this job with my boss really reaching full blown bipolarity.
One hour being friendly, and later on.. hostile berating for **** Its not even my responsibility or in my reach.

I just feel that after some staff left.. I was handed the responsibility of being the boss's punching bag.
That's always so hard when a boss takes everything out on you and makes it really uncomfortable. Good luck with finding something new. Any news on the job search abroad?

Songbird76

Yea, as I’ve posted before, Ive really been into reading, studying, and watching about WWII history since I was a child.
And yes, who knows how much of those stories are or aren’t true. Whether he joined in ‘37 or ‘39, the nazi Wehrmacht was well underway and in control years before that. He may very well have been ordered to order the flogging, and to watch the torture. Again, that wouldn’t have made it right, by any means, but, if he and family were being threatened, that involves a whole new element.
Ultimately, he lead in creating the V-1 and V-2 rockets that killed many people, mostly civilians. I have always read that he was very disturbed by that, and yes, when he came to the states to pursue his dreams of peaceful space travel and space exploration he tried to make up for it.
But, let’s face it, to this day, whoever can get ahold of rocket technology is going to use it, whether for defensive or offensive purposes, for military purposes, not only space travel and exploration. It’s not like the tech he knew and kept learning wasn’t used for military purposes by us either.
That was a thing on Big Bang Theory, too....the guys developed technology that the military came and said they wanted. Then the military basically kicked them off the project and handed it over to someone else to develop further. But they didn't feel comfortable with their design being used as a weapon, and the military told them that wasn't their business. I know it's just a show and fiction, but that's probably pretty realistic. And of course, once a scientist is gone, they don't have any control over how their research is used in the future. That would be disturbing, knowing something you made could be used for something terrible.

Songbird76

So E is in her 3rd year of high school, which is halfway through, so she has to decide on what direction she wants to take next year. They have to choose one of 4 profiles. There's a culture/creative profile, an Economics and social studies profile, a science that's more on the biology side, and a science that's more on the technology side. Last night was the information meeting for the parents about what each of the profiles are and how to go about choosing. The profile you choose will determine what careers you can study later. Up to this year, everything has been general...they have to take everything. E has something like 15 subjects this year. Next year, it becomes more directed at your future career. So the...I guess guidance counselor is the closest I can come to an equivalent, but that's not really accurate...anyway, he started off by saying the profile choice is kind of like looking at what you want to make for dinner. You can approach it from "This sounds good tonight!" or "What can I make with what's in my fridge?" and he said "For the profile choice, boys might want to be pilots, and girls want to be princesses." REALLY??? You think 15 year old girls in the advanced placement program want to be princesses? My fierce "little princess" wants to do the science and technology profile with Biology, computer programming, and design technology as her electives. Her female friends want to be: an architect, a police agent, and a forensic investigator. And why bring up gender at all? Why not just say "Being a pilot sounds fun! or I want to save lives, so I'd like to be a doctor!"? Why make a distinction between what the boys and girls are interested in? It was just so out of touch and insulting. They have any career to chose from and his go to is "princess"??

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So E is in her 3rd year of high school, which is halfway through, so she has to decide on what direction she wants to take next year. They have to choose one of 4 profiles. There's a culture/creative profile, an Economics and social studies profile, a science that's more on the biology side, and a science that's more on the technology side. Last night was the information meeting for the parents about what each of the profiles are and how to go about choosing. The profile you choose will determine what careers you can study later. Up to this year, everything has been general...they have to take everything. E has something like 15 subjects this year. Next year, it becomes more directed at your future career. So the...I guess guidance counselor is the closest I can come to an equivalent, but that's not really accurate...anyway, he started off by saying the profile choice is kind of like looking at what you want to make for dinner. You can approach it from "This sounds good tonight!" or "What can I make with what's in my fridge?" and he said "For the profile choice, boys might want to be pilots, and girls want to be princesses." REALLY??? You think 15 year old girls in the advanced placement program want to be princesses? My fierce "little princess" wants to do the science and technology profile with Biology, computer programming, and design technology as her electives. Her female friends want to be: an architect, a police agent, and a forensic investigator. And why bring up gender at all? Why not just say "Being a pilot sounds fun! or I want to save lives, so I'd like to be a doctor!"? Why make a distinction between what the boys and girls are interested in? It was just so out of touch and insulting. They have any career to chose from and his go to is "princess"??

sad face for the guidance counselor but yay for E and other girls choosing their own path.

StarWarsGirl

Me...

Tired Tom And Jerry GIF

Figgy1

Premium Member
I had one like that that told me I may upset the boys:rolleyes: My parents sent my aunt with 2 masters and a PHD in science in to speak with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom