The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl , just curious -- is hubs back to having services (with congregation) inside his church, or are the services being filmed only, so that people can watch from home? Churches have been open here for some months with controlled headcounts (per the state's rules), and limited spacing & face masks for people. Yet, I'm still watching on TV only, at this point.
The moms like watching on tv and outdoor services better than going inside. i don't know how much longer the outside services will last.

Figgy1

Premium Member
last week church open up for in person but with a lot of safety procedures in place. However the cases have been on the rise here so after church last week the council met and decided to shut down in person activities again for a couple weeks. On 20 people showed up for in person church, but the Facebook watches were still high, so that helped their decision. So it is back to the parking lot service this week and a live stream on Facebook.
I think your dh is doing an excellent job online:joyfull: I may have been to church more this year than in the past several years combined:angelic:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think your dh is doing an excellent job online:joyfull: I may have been to church more this year than in the past several years combined:angelic:

Thanks! Me too! I am a fan of watching in a comfy chair at home with the pup. I’ve always been a bit uncomfortable going to service, not because people aren’t nice but because I get too much attention and as an introvert sometimes I would rather just blend into the background.🙂

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks! Me too! I am a fan of watching in a comfy chair at home with the pup. I’ve always been a bit uncomfortable going to service, not because people aren’t nice but because I get too much attention and as an introvert sometimes I would rather just blend into the background.🙂
I'm glad you found a way to be more comfortable:joyfull: Have you done the drive in? That has to be one of my favorite adaptations. Jammies and snacks;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm glad you found a way to be more comfortable:joyfull: Have you done the drive in? That has to be one of my favorite adaptations. Jammies and snacks;)

I did go to the parking lot service once. It was fine and I wore a nice top and jammie pants since I would only be seen from the top up. 😀. But I got stuck parked in a middle spot with cars parked in front and behind me so I worried a lot of the time about how I would get out, I don’t like to be trapped in place and I worried if someone would back up into me (it has happened in a couple parking lots). So now I just stay home. I’m a weirdo! 🤪

Goofyernmost

That would be King Charles I. My two younger kids are currently learning about early American history and we are currently studying that time period now. Amazing you were able to trace that far.
What really amazed me was that it also led me to some interesting things. It appears that 3 months after arriving he died of something and left his wife and three sons to fend for themselves. Because at the time women had no claim to any property the land grant was cancelled. I only wish it had been able to indicate how they survived without their land. I suspect that others just helped out. According to the records it took 30 years before she was given a 1 or 2 acre piece of land. That was, amazingly, the most background information I was able to obtain on any of my ancestors other than dates and locations of birth and death and who they married. I think in order to be complete one needs to search back on both the male and female of each family throughout the years, but that seemed like an awful lot of work. I confined my research to just the single surname, my wife's and my daughters husbands. What is more enlightening was the fact that after all those years, I was the only one that only produced girls and the direct connection by surname stopped with me.

Goofyernmost

Yes, I remember you mentioning that. And I looked it up, that would have been King Charles I. I wish I could figure out when my line actually came to America. We were obviously already established there prior to the Revolutionary war, but for how long? And who was the ancestor who came over and why? I did find some really interesting things in my dad's line. My great grandmother was apparently a member of some religious cult-like sect that did not believe in "modern" medicine/doctors, which is really interesting also because she seemed to be a woman of rather loose morals for that time. She had 2 children by 2 different fathers, and I can't find any evidence that she was ever actually married to my great grandfather...my grandfather was in any case born after his parents had split and my great grandfather didn't even know he existed until he was an adult. His mother dumped him with her parents who raised him until he was about 5 while she was off who knows where. Then she got together with this other guy....not sure if they were married or not, but she came back and picked up the kids and headed west. My grandfather was very angry because he had loved his grandparents very much and theirs was the only home he knew. To be ripped from them and taken far away, and then his older half-sister caught some disease and they refused to get medical treatment because it was against their religious beliefs. So he watched her die and was very bitter about the turn his life had taken for the worse when his mother re-entered his life. He ran away as soon as he was old enough to make it on his own, and it seems he was pretty young when he did. He did odd jobs wherever he could find them, and he was working in a coal mine in colorado I think, when the government started offering homesteads in Wyoming. One of his co-workers at the mine encouraged him to get out of the unhealthy mining business while he was still young and had his health, so he went and staked a claim. And that's how the family ended up in Wyoming....all because his mother appears to have been...what's the word...troubled?

And all that when his father's family seemed extremely principled. His father was a lawyer, his grandfather a secretary of state who kind of made history in refusing to break the rules in favor of his party affiliation, and who also served as a minister, was a captain in the Union army during the civil war, and built the churches where he ministered. It's all very intriguing. I'm wondering how it was that my great grandparents even came together when it seems they had such differing characters. Opposites attract, I guess.
Wow, I always thought that my family was quite boring and you just proved it. I'm sure that having all the turmoil was not pleasant, but man that sure makes some really good stories. The only thing exciting my grandparents did was be "gin runners" bringing stuff over from Canada and running their own speakeasy during prohibition. During that time they both had cars and 6 children and my grandmother never bothered to get a drivers license.

Last edited:

John park hopper

My surname is found mainly in upstate NY and MA there are several different spelling all going back to an early English spelling. I was surprised to find we have French Huguenots ancestors in the family tree and we had a farm near Albany NY. A group moved to KY in the 1830's and when it came to the Civil War 2 fought for the south and those in NY fought for the north. Family against family.

Goofyernmost

I know that people are not going to believe this, but that is me. I am not introverted in the sense that I have a problem dealing with people, I just don't like being an outsider garnering all kinds of unwelcome, albeit well intentioned attention. I remember one of the most uncomfortable situations I ever encountered. My wife was Episcopalian and I was Catholic. Sometimes especially on Easter we would go to both the Catholic Mass and the Episcopalian Service. One time we went to this tiny Anglican Church in Quebec. Unlike the crowds I was used to seeing in Mass required Catholic Churches there were only about 30 people attending that particular service. Instead of being able to just leave quietly it seems like the entire congregation waited outside the door to greet us and ask a thousand questions about our lives, where we lived and if we were going to be regulars. I was outside and felt like the walls were closing in on me. I just couldn't handle that much attention, but what could I do, they were just being friendly (and probably a bit nosy) but it was all well intentioned. I think for the first time in my life a literally broke out in a cold sweat. What an awful, awkward feeling.

Cesar R M

Wallpaper in homes done right really accent the home. Wallpaper in bathrooms are not my thing. It just seems an odd place to put it.
I was talking about backgrounds for computer, cellphones, etc..
But yeah, I remember back in the 90's where printed wallpapers were a thing. My old school had autumn photos printed on the wall in some classrooms.
Kinda funny considering how autumn in our state doesn't look like anything similar to what the photos showed. XD

Songbird76

What really amazed me was that it also led me to some interesting things. It appears that 3 months after arriving he died of something and left his wife and three sons to fend for themselves. Because at the time women had no claim to any property the land grant was cancelled. I only wish it had been able to indicate how they survived without their land. I suspect that others just helped out. According to the records it took 30 years before she was given a 1 or 2 acre piece of land. That was, amazingly, the most background information I was able to obtain on any of my ancestors other than dates and locations of birth and death and who they married. I think in order to be complete one needs to search back on both the male and female of each family throughout the years, but that seemed like an awful lot of work. I confined my research to just the single surname, my wife's and my daughters husbands. What is more enlightening was the fact that after all those years, I was the only one that only produced girls and the direct connection by surname stopped with me.
Did she ever remarry? That was a pretty common practice back then...a widow and a widower getting married because a man needed someone to cook for him and keep his house and a woman needed someone to provide for her and her children. It was kind of a symbiotic relationship.

Tony the Tigger

Oh no!! I thought he was doing so much better! What happened? How is Brian taking it? How are YOU taking it? Will Brian's family be a support system for each other, or will this be like your grandmother's passing?

Had to switch to the computer to respond lol. I started to reference this in my TR, but that felt really weird.

We thought he was doing better as well. In the rehab facility, he participated more in the rehab than he did at the hospital. He was still easily agitated (we figured out certain meds seemed to make that worse) and panicked/stressed a lot. One brother flew down from NC and decided "we have to get him out of here." That was exactly what the Dr. warned Brian against doing. But they got him out on Tuesday. He could walk a certain distance and had some energy. Brian "moved back into" the house at least for the transition, but we thought he would end up staying there long term, even for one shift per day, alternating with a nurse. But there was no nurse yet except for a quick visit per day.

He has had congestive heart failure for a few years, has oxygen tanks, etc. I don't know whether he was weakened by the stroke and other recent issues, but simultaneously, that has worsened. When I woke up yesterday morning (feels like a week ago) there was a text from Brian around 3:30AM. (I had mentioned to him that I wasn't sleeping well and if he was up in the middle of the night, he could reach out.) I woke up around 6, saw the text, and we had a call. B was very freaked out. The "gurgling sounds" while breathing at night had gotten much worse. B was the primary caretaker (in his 20's!) when his mom passed from Ovarian cancer at a young age. She didn't want anyone else in the room but him. He said this was the same thing that happened with her before she passed.

I told him he can't have this on his head - possibly making the "wrong" decision in the middle of the night, trying to handle this by himself. He said Dad was mostly sleeping, I said but what happens when he isn't? What if something happens and he's in sudden pain and looking at B for help? I didn't want him to have to live with that. I found the number for Hospice and said please call them, they will know what to do, they will make him more comfortable - and they will tell you if they are not needed.

So hospice and one brother came, and they agreed the best plan was to deactivate the pacemaker and let whatever happens naturally unfold. He has a DNR. He wants to go. That was supposed to happen last night, we were waiting for the magnet (required for that procedure) to be hand delivered - and we didn't realize they had just left it in the mailbox. By the time we found it, the night nurse was there and she didn't know how to do that. The brother went home in the afternoon.

The wrinkle: they had put in a catheter the day before. He was still having issues and he pulled on it, which led to a lot of bleeding - and ever since, a lot of pain, which leads to more pulling. Even with morphine, this man is in pain, uncomfortable, and nothing can be done with it until we can get a doctor out, or it could get much worse.

So even on morphine, he will sleep for 3 to 5 minutes at a time, and then with slurred speech from the stroke cry out, "help me help me HELP ME! BRIAN!" (I'm amazed how loud he can be!) But there's nothing to do. Brian ends up reprimanding him like he's a child to stop messing with the catheter. It's 100% awful to hear this, to see it, every 5 minutes over and over, with the nurse right there. The stepmother is not in her right mind and gets in the way. I left about 1AM and actually went to one of my stores to drop off some merch I meant to bring earlier in the day. I got to bed around 4.

The estranged brother is not coming. His choice. The brother who was here yesterday is coming back tomorrow. (.) Not sure about NC brother. Brian is basically alone with this, and it's not just babysitting, it's torture. I am frantically trying to finish up our taxes due in 4 days (biz taxes are complicated!) but I am on call for when they are going to do the pacemaker procedure. I don't want Brian to be by himself in case he passes right away. He got choked up telling me this morning that he was telling the closer brother: "I listened to Mom drowning, I don't wan't to do it again with Dad." omg.

And I just got the pacemaker text. Heading out.

Songbird76

Wow, I always thought that my family was quite boring and you just proved it. I'm sure that having all the turmoil was not pleasant, but man that sure makes some really good stories. The only thing exciting my grandparents did was be "gin runners" bringing stuff over from Canada and running their own speakeasy during prohibition. During that time they both had cars and 6 children and my grandmother never bothered to get a drivers license.
I think gin running is a great story! Not boring at all! I just love history and culture....learning about the things people do and why they do them. What made my Great grandmother finally come back for her children? What made her join whatever religious group she did...was it the new man in her life? Was she one of those people who was easily manipulated and went along with whatever someone told her to do because she wasn't strong enough in her own beliefs? Or was she the one who led HIM into that life? And who was the father of her first child...the one who died of whatever illness because her mother and step-father wouldn't get her medical intervention? Where was he? And what did my g-g grandparents think of their daughter's life? What made them willing to take on her children and let her run off and then come back and take them away? And how did my great grandfather never know my grandpa existed? It looks as though they lived in the same area...the great great grandparents are all burried within less than 20 miles of each other. (It's kind of like a soap opera!) I have so many questions!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom