The Castle, Waterfalls & Lamps with a Solo Hobbyist Photographer

Welcome!

Three words sum up my solo weekend January 29-31, 2011 at the Pop Resort ~ SO...MUCH...FUN.

My Disney addiction is consistently searching for ways to get me back to the World. My 3 teenage sons and hubby are so "over" Disney that I can no longer use them as an excuse to go there.

Then comes October 2010, when we purchase our first DSLR camera. The seed of a photographic trip is planted and a new "excuse" is born!

I begin stalking airline fares and dreaming of a weekend solo trip where I can do whatever I want. Yes, I know as a mother of three/wife & full time employee in the public school system I am not supposed to think about myself! But, I did it anyway.

On with the show~

January 29, 2011
Flight leaves Midway at 7:20am. Into Orlando by 10:30 Eastern time. Magical express wait 10 min, Stop at Carribean Beach and then Pop. Room is not ready. It is now 11:50am.

What to do, what to do??? Answer: Pull out my flip-flops, literally throw my carryon bag at the luggage guy, and use all my self-restraint to prevent myself from running to the Magic Kingdom shuttle. A bus pulls up almost instantly....this is a sign of great things to come!

I have finally entered the World....
picture.php

And the "Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It" Parade is just starting, there is "The Man"

picture.php

Hey-Howdy-Hey Woody!

picture.php

Now starts what I will call my "photographic walk-through" as I just walked and shot pictures and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

In reviewing my pics upon return, I have discovered that:
1) I managed to get some nice shots for being a newbie.
2) I can't seem to take a level picture to save my life!
3) Lightroom 3 is my new best friend in helping my pictures come to life.

Firehouse~

picture.php

Trolley~

picture.php

Joy, joy, it's only 12:37 and the park closes at 9pm tonight. I still have 8.5 hours!

picture.php

The Dance/Music lesson windows in the little alcove along main street. You can hear them "practicing" if you listen closely.

picture.php

I apparently love lamps/lamp-posts (thus the TR title) as this is the first shot of many to come..

picture.php

At the end of Main Street, I got this Crystal Palace shot.

picture.php

And now, the beginning of many castle/hub shots.

picture.php

More to come!! (Maybe even today as the Blizzard of 2011 has closed my school in a suburb of Chicago.)
Thanks for reading if you are following!

Katherine

I love the report so far! Great pics! Love that you stopped at Cinderellas fountain... I love that place and it's gorgeous.

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Loving your report so far! GREAT photos!!! I love the Haunted Mansion ones.

Thank you! I need to work on editing more phots and uploading them. Hopefully tomorrow. This is so much fun re-living via a trip report!

Your trip report is wonderful! The idea of a solo trip has always intrigued me. Hubby's response when I asked if he would mind me hopping down to WDW alone for a long weekend: "Why would you want to go without me?". Sigh...gotta love that man of mine. :ROFLOL:

Can't wait for more pics. I thought your Haunted Mansion pics were wonderful. It's my favorite ride and I have never taken a good picture inside the Mansion.

Following along...

I have another follower! That is so exciting to me!

Too funny with your hubby. When I asked mine, he said, "How about we head out to a beach or Vegas?" when my response was that I really wanted Disney he thought the solo trip was OK.....though I know he felt disappointed that I didn't jump at beach/Vegas idea just to be with him. I reminded him we have many more years together.....

I love the report so far! Great pics! Love that you stopped at Cinderellas fountain... I love that place and it's gorgeous.

I had never spent much time at the fountain, and you are right it is gorgeous. I really wanted to contort my body to get a picture with the fountain and the back of the castle, but with the castle being worked on I decided the contortion was not worth the risk of injury!

:wave: Thank you to all for the posts and thanks also to those that are lurking! I tend to be more of a lurker myself.
I am so appreciative for the "views" and being able to share my fun time!
I'm hoping to edit and upload more pics tomorrow.

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Still Saturday January 29th...

It's about 6:15 and I realize that I have not yet walked through Tomorrowland. I think my subconscious was avoiding it as that is/was my families favorite land. So, I decided to take a walk through and eat at Starlight Rays Cafe....

picture.php

I looked and Buzz was a 35 minute wait. At that moment I decided that I would not ride Buzz as it was my "family favorite" ride, and my family was not there to enjoy it. So, the galaxy will not be saved on this trip! Into Starlight Rays cafe where I got a turkey wrap and sat in the outside seating to this great view~

picture.php

Talk about a great meal! Belly full, I decided to avoid the main street parade insanity and worked my way around fantasyland again.
I really like this spot for Rapunzel~

picture.php

In all my times in Disney, I had never noticed this shrubbery by the Tea Cups as my family is not big on the "spin rides" so we have never ridden it.

picture.php

I LOVED this quote on the base of the shrubbery~

picture.php

Continued walking over to Frontierland to get a spot along a fence line to see the parade. I admittedly am not a huge parade fan (neither is my family), but had not seen the MSEP since I was about 13 and decided to give it a go. I found a nice, out of the way spot as I am also not a fan of being jam packed in with people and decided to try to take some pictures.

Here is where the picture Gods started to have fun with the hobbyist photographer......

picture.php

See the green blobs in the upper left corner? Most of the remainder of my pictures for the evening will be riddled with them. Turns out (after doing some research when I got home) that I should have removed the lens filter as it creates a "reflection" in pictures taken in these types of situations. Bummer.

picture.php

picture.php

The above are the only pictures of the parade that are passable. It is now 7:40 and the "Magic, Memories & You" Castle show will be beginning at 7:45. I head over to main street and find a spot that gives me about a 2 foot circular radius to keep my personal space.

I only took two shots of this as I really wanted to "experience" it instead of worrying about capturing pictures. I found it cool, though I was not blown away. However, the families around me were very impressed...so I am not sure I am the correct gauge.

picture.php

The show ended and only 5 minutes until Wishes. I LOVE Wishes. I listen to the music quite often at home and get teary eyed everytime I hear it. I was hoping I would be able to keep it together during the show as I feared what it would look like---a lady traveling alone, watching Wishes, and crying on Main Street?!

This is, by far, my favorite part~

picture.php

No tears yet! I think I am safe!

Picture limit......

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Finishing up Saturday, January 29th...

The following are the only two fireworks shots that are passable. I thought I had my camera settings right and then the fireworks started....they were not right. So I messed around a little bit, took a couple more pics, admitted defeat and just enjoyed the show.

picture.php

picture.php

My second favorite part of Wishes is when the "Sorcerers Apprentice" music starts and the red fireworks goes off to the music. I really wanted a picture of that, but it was not to be.

Wishes ended in its spectacular finale and I hung around the hub to take a few more pictures. Again the "green blobs" were all over, these were the best of the bunch~

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I love the blue castle~

picture.php

picture.php

I decided to head over to MILF as I had not seen it since 2007. It is a funny, quirky show. I found myself thinking...please don't choose me for the show, please don't choose me for the show. They didn't and I got out unscathed!
I was really trying to kill time to see the Kiss Goodnight but at 9:50 I decided I was too tired, even after I had treated myself to coffee and a cookie from the Main Street Bakery. There is always tomorrow!

picture.php

One last shot as I left the park~

picture.php

Waited only a couple minutes for the bus and got back to the Pop, showered, called the family again to let them know I was still alive and safe, and crawled into bed.

I was awoken at promptly 1am to what sounded like a bunch of 6-10 year olds swimming in the pool. And I think to myself, why is this happening??? So aggravating......

Further updates:
Jan 30th.... 3 parks and AKL
Jan 31st....Picture tour of Deluxe hotels

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Sunday January 30th....
Sunny & high of 72 degrees!
Three parks plus AKL in one day.

I wake up a good 20 minutes before the Mickey/Stitch wake up call. I'm headed back to MK to see the opening show, which I haven't seen since 2004. I get ready, eat a breakfast bar, get coffee (if you want to call it that) from the Pop court and am on the bus by 8am for park opening at 9am.

Get off the bus at MK at 8:20 and this was my first picture of the day into the Seven Seas Lagoon~

picture.php

So peaceful and quiet.

I made it through the gates by 8:25 and found myself a great seat on the concrete so I could get the best view. For the next 35 minutes, I thoroughly enjoyed people watching. So many young ones waiting anxiously for the park to open!

Took a few pics of the train station. I wanted to make sure I got one of Walts window~

picture.php

Before I knew it 9:00 arrived with the great opening show~

picture.php

After the show, onto main street. My first sight was of a mom crying, looking at her children and the castle all while her husband held her close. In that one moment I looked at her, it was evident the gratitude she was feeling. Thanks to that mom for giving me a memory!!

picture.php

picture.php

I took a leisurely stroll down main street.

picture.php

And onto my most favorite view~

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Through the castle~

picture.php

Picture limit........

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Sunday the 30th Contd.....

Through the castle and past Dumbo~

picture.php

And onto Peter Pan as it is one of my favorites and I have not ridden it since 2007. It was a little odd riding alone. I did not try to take any pictures.

Walked past Small World and spent some time looking at this area (notice the waterfall)~

picture.php

Past HM~

picture.php

And down the wooden walkway that leads to BTMRR~

picture.php

SM was doing practice runs as it was still closed for its winter refurb~

picture.php

And down into Adventureland~

picture.php

Continuing onto Crystal Palace for this picture of my favorite view~

picture.php

As I headed out of the park to catch the monorail to EPCOT I stopped to watch these ladies...they were great~

picture.php

Got on monorail and the announcement was promptly made "The monorail will be shutting down for approx. 1 minute to reset itself." ?????
I have never experienced that before. I took the following two shots on the way to the TTC.

picture.php

picture.php

Next update, EPCOT......

Jarissa

Such a wonderful trip report! Thank you especially for all the pictures of the Castle.

My immediate family and our friends are planning a big trip down there in late 2012 and I'm keeping my sanity in the meantime by looking at all the wonderful sights we'll be seeing.

sweetpee_1993

Fantastic pics! I'm so excited you made it back even if it was without the guys. I loved your last report so much! Kudos for you on the solo trip. I've also been intrigued by the idea but whenever I've dared mention it to DH he gets that puppy-dog look and says, "Without even ME?!" LOL! Maybe one of these days when he goes one of his fishing/camping trips I'll run east instead of west to my girlfriend's house. LOL!

Can't wait for more. I'm really enjoying all your pics. :wave:

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Such a wonderful trip report! Thank you especially for all the pictures of the Castle.

My immediate family and our friends are planning a big trip down there in late 2012 and I'm keeping my sanity in the meantime by looking at all the wonderful sights we'll be seeing.

I LOVE the castle. I found a bench and just sat in front of it for a good hour watching the lights change. So, pictures of the castle for me are very plentiful. In fact on my digital frame on my desk at work, people have asked if I took other pictures besides the castle!

A group trip is a great adventure, and the way time seems to fly 2012 will be here before we know it. Glad I could help pass the time!

Fantastic pics! I'm so excited you made it back even if it was without the guys. I loved your last report so much! Kudos for you on the solo trip. I've also been intrigued by the idea but whenever I've dared mention it to DH he gets that puppy-dog look and says, "Without even ME?!" LOL! Maybe one of these days when he goes one of his fishing/camping trips I'll run east instead of west to my girlfriend's house. LOL!

Can't wait for more. I'm really enjoying all your pics. :wave:

Thanks for the compliment on the pics!
Yes, I thought after our last trip I wouldn't see the World for awhile, but I only made it 6 months before I was back! Wonder how long it will take for the next one? My youngest said he would like to go back so I told him maybe we could do a quick weekend at some time.

It was great to go alone for the couple days (liberating to say the least), but any longer without the family would have been too long....and I think my hubby would have had a fit.
Yes, you should most definitely go east the next time hubby is out of town!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Sunday January 30th.....
Last we left off before kids, work and life in general interuppted this TR, I was at the TTC and heading to EPCOT.
While waiting at the TTC for a monorail I got to talking with a very nice family from Rhode Island. She was a travel agent and they had just finished a cruise with the Disney Dream. She talked a little about her Disney trips and other trips she has the ability to take with being a travel agent.Talk about jealous!!
I think I am right now adding onto my life's list of things to do.....become a Disney approved travel agent. If I can't get to the World, then I would love to help others do it.

So, the monorail pulls into Epcot to a sunny 73 degrees. I text my family....temp at home 15 degrees and they are calling for a blizzard in a few days.

picture.php

I really like this pic as I also have a "thing" with palm trees....

picture.php

I did not stop for more, I was on a quest to get FP for Soarin and ride TT. When I got into the land, it was pretty crowded. The wait was 45 minutes so I got my fastpass for return at 1:30 and hightailed it over to TT. I walked in to the single rider line (never had an opportunity to use this before!) and literally walked right up to this:

picture.php

That is the absolute fastest line I have ever been in. TT was great, I did not text my family that I rode as they would not be happy!

I had wanted to take some pictures of the Millenium Fountain (think that is what it is called) but it was down for refurbishment.

It was now 11am and time to "Walk the World." I am feeling unstoppable, and can't wait to explore every nook & cranny in the countries.

First stop, some shots across the bay~

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then onto Mexico. I did not go in, just looked at the new restaurant menu and took this picture (so much for exploring every nook & cranny!)~

picture.php

Then onto Norway. I rode Malestrom (never had before) and not sure that I will ever feel the need to ride again! I stopped in the bakery, but the line was too long and I was feeling impatient. I did not (gasp) take any pictures of the waterfall in Norway. This the best of the shots from Norway and I am only throwing it in just to show you I did stop there! Again, I thought I was going to explore every nook & cranny?!

picture.php

Next up China. This is my least favorite (not sure why as there is so much detail), but I did stop for some eggrolls & a drink. I sat by the pond and did some people watching while I ate.

Then I took these two pics...notice a lamp post in both?!

picture.php

picture.php

Picture limit.
Next up....I finally find a picture obsession in Germany and it has nothing to do with the buildings!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Sunday January 30th...

After fueling up in China I start to move on my way again. My feet are starting to say, "Hey, I'm tired." My knees are starting to say, "Hey, you keep bending down and standing up to take pictures...were not 23 years old anymore." My brain says, "This is waaayyy to early in the day for these body parts to be talking, ignore them." And I take this picture~ (what is the building behind Canada?)

picture.php

I head to Germany to check out the country but more importantly the new candy store. I end up taking more pictures in the candy store than of the country! This is the only food in this TR, so enjoy...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I bought a caramel/pecan/chocolate item for myself and some "German" fruit chews for my boys. (I had this idea that I would buy some candy from a few countries to bring home to the boys.)

I sat on a bench and watched the world some more. When done with my caramel, I finally have the realization that I just purchased fruit chews that I would have to carry around the rest of the day, ugh. No problem, I'm a smart chick.....I will tie the bag to the sweatshirt I have wrapped around my waist. Feeling oh so smart, I walk back to Germany to take some pictures and notice a "thump,thump, thump." What is it???? Well, its the fruit chews bouncing around with every step I take. I re-, determine no better way, and decide that when I get home my boys had better tell me that these are the best fruit chews they have ever eaten!

These were my best pics of Germany. It was pretty crowded and everytime I tried to get a shot without someone in it, I was foiled!
picture.php

picture.php

Onto the railway where I really wanted to get some nice shots....but my body was not wanting to bend to get them.

picture.php

Okay, I give....maybe I won't have to bend as much in Italy.

I really liked taking pictures in Italy. After I took the following picture, a couple went and stood where I was to "mimic" the shot. Apparently I looked "professional" with my DSLR strap across my chest & sweatshirt with candy tied to it around my waist! I wanted to tell them that I really had no idea was I was doing and was just learning, but I felt complimented none the less!

picture.php

picture.php

Tutto-Italia tables....I have a cool pic of their sign for my next update....

picture.php

Pic limit & time for me to go back to real life!

darthspielberg

Love the trip report so far! Great pictures all around!

I will say this, however; you keep mentioning things you didn't do, or if you did do you couldn't tell your family. Well, as you mention they are "over" Disney and so I think it's their loss, and you should have fun on any ride/attraction you wish!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Love the trip report so far! Great pictures all around!

I will say this, however; you keep mentioning things you didn't do, or if you did do you couldn't tell your family. Well, as you mention they are "over" Disney and so I think it's their loss, and you should have fun on any ride/attraction you wish!

Things that make you go hmmmm......you are correct. I think it is the illusive/mandatory "mother guilt" that keeps sneaking up!

More to come!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Still Sunday Jan 30th & we are in Italy....

I really like this picture since I messed with the colors~
picture.php

Just inside the restaurant~

picture.php

I count this as a waterfall~

picture.php

picture.php

Any other picture I took had a lot of people in it...they were seeming to come out of the woodwork!

Watching my time, it was almost 12:45.....the Japanese candy maker was due to start at that time and I really did not want to miss her. So, I quickly walked an took these shots on the way...

picture.php

After I took the following picture, I overheard some people say "Go to the spot she was just in and take the picture." As I said earlier, the DSLR camera/strap, sweatshirt wrapped around the waist with candy tied to it apparently gives a sign that I know what the heck I am doing!

picture.php

Onto Japan...one of my favorite countries...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Before any other pictures, I stopped to watch the candy maker~

picture.php

She was amazing. She would ask someone in the crowd what animal they wanted and then she would make it within 3 minutes. And all she ever started with was a white blob of candy. The above pic is of a flamingo. She was well worth the 10 minute stop!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Contd from last post....

I love the waterfalls & calmness of Japan. I spent a lot of time here just relaxing and taking in the vibe. My pictures are all very bright of the pond area (since I have been home I learned I should have used a certain filter on the camera to help this), but I will put them in anyway~

picture.php

picture.php

This one is my favorite of all I took in Japan...I was standing my tippie toes leveraging myself in such a way that I am sure I provided excellent entertainment for the family sitting and eating a few tables over!

picture.php

Down to the little garden on the way out of Japan heading toward Morocco~

picture.php

Made this one black & white, hoping the "zen-ness" would come out~

picture.php

I now noticed the time....I had wanted to see the "balancing" waiter in France and I was running late. So I skipped Morocco with all thoughts of going back and made it to France just in time for the waiter to be saying his goodbyes. Darn!

Okay, I will get over that as I was looking forward to taking pictures in France with the fountain. Guess what?! The fountain was not on! Double Darn!

There was some salvation. I noticed the couple in the picture below. I "stalked" them until I could get a picture of their backs. I wish I could get my hubby on board to be a Disney lover, so we could show our love like this couple does..

picture.php

I just think this is awesome. She is wearing Minnie ears, both their shirts say "Mouseketeer" and their shorts were matching as well. If either of you in this pic is a member of this board...kudos to you. I would love to see what your other outfits for your trip looked like! I am also sorry if you noticed me "stalking" you!

So here is France, summed up in two shots as it was crowded enough that I wouldn't be able to get a picture without a person in it and the fountain was not working~
picture.php

This picture is on the side of the bridge~

picture.php

I had skipped Morocco, now it was time to go back. Then a new idea popped into my head, what about heading to AK? The park was not a favorite of the family, so we never spent much time there. Since I am alone, I can perhaps fully experience AK.

Decision made to head to AK, I do not go back to Morocco, skip all photo opportunities in the UK and head to my favorite pavilion of all...Canada!

Waterfalls & Lampposts in Canada, Check! Not as crowded as other pavillions, Check! 65 total pictures taken in Canada, Check! Sharing 12 of them on this board, Check!

Here are the first two from Canada before I reach my picture limit~

picture.php

I would love to live in a house like this...small, quaint.

I Love, Love, Love this waterfall....

picture.php

Next, update....all Canada before I ride Soarin & head to AK.

sweetpee_1993

I'm still loving all the details and pics. I can really feel how "free" you felt. Maybe another way to work a "solo" gig for me would be to tack a couple days onto the front end of a family trip where I fly down ahead of them or something.... Ooooohhh.... Maybe I'm onto something.... However, I'm thinking that option would be best in the somewhat-but-not-too-distant future when at least one of the boys has their driver's license. You really got me thinkin'!

I think your youngest wanting to go back is actually kinda a cool thing. Honestly, if money were no object I would LOVE to do individual trips with each of my boys. They get their one-on-one with Dad when they go on fishing/camping trips at the lake. My one-on-one is "help Mom get the groceries". LOL!

I have NEVER seen the candy-making demonstration at the Japan pavillion! That pavillion is fast becoming a family favorite. Our boys have always been just over-the-moon when it comes to anything Japanese. I attribute this to their early fascination with tuner cars (aka "rice burners"), Yugi Oh! (don't get me started :rolleyes:), and martial arts (although these days they've switched gears & become swayed more towards the Brazilian varieties). Tracey & I dig hibachi's in a big way yet have never eaten at Tepan Edo. :eek: I love the gardens....and hot saki...whoa Mama! :p I think I should totally add the candy lady to our list of to-do's for the next go around. :D

Hhhmmm...the koi pond pics... I'm no photographer by any means. However, my guess would be the filter in which you've found you should have used was a polarized one. No? How would a camera-stupid girl like me know such? My husband is a bass fishing nut. Polarized sunglasses are an absolute necessity for him because they allow him to "see" beyond regular glare on the water's surface so he can literally see the fish (depending on the clarity of the water and if the little boogers are hiding in grass or behind logs & stuff). I remember years back when we were still a young family barely getting by surviving on hopes & dreams one of his big dreams was to be able to buy polarized Oakley sunglasses. He could've been wishing for Ft. Knox at the time, those things were totally beyond our means back then. When he explained this "seeing the fish beyond the glare" bit I thought he was totally full of crap. I didn't buy it. Well, years later he got those sunglasses and while at WDW waiting for a boat from MGM to Epcot he was flipping out over all the fish he could see. I didn't see them without the sunglasses. All I saw was glare and some blades of grass in the water. He handed me the sunglasses and ***WOW*** there were some really big fish right there in front of us!!! Polarized lenses. Yes. I get it now. Ain't it fun how us girls get thru life learning these little bits of semi-useless man-fodder??? :lol:

I'm with you on the "Mouseketeer" couple. That **is** adorable! I would've gone up & talked to them. I'll talk to anyone. I love when people talk to me about the stuff I wear or carry that I do specifically for our trips. It's sweet and makes me feel good that people notice the effort I put into these little things that mean so much to me. I'm a big cheeseball, tho. I know! :cool:

Loving every moment! Can't wait to see what you captured at AK in the afternoon. I'm envisioning the setting sun thru the trees and foliage. That park isn't the most entertaining in terms of "rides" but every nook & cranny of the place is themed so well. Even a non-photog with a point-n-shoot like me goes picture nutty whenever I'm there. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom