The Castle, Waterfalls & Lamps with a Solo Hobbyist Photographer

Welcome!

Three words sum up my solo weekend January 29-31, 2011 at the Pop Resort ~ SO...MUCH...FUN.

My Disney addiction is consistently searching for ways to get me back to the World. My 3 teenage sons and hubby are so "over" Disney that I can no longer use them as an excuse to go there.

Then comes October 2010, when we purchase our first DSLR camera. The seed of a photographic trip is planted and a new "excuse" is born!

I begin stalking airline fares and dreaming of a weekend solo trip where I can do whatever I want. Yes, I know as a mother of three/wife & full time employee in the public school system I am not supposed to think about myself! But, I did it anyway.

On with the show~

January 29, 2011
Flight leaves Midway at 7:20am. Into Orlando by 10:30 Eastern time. Magical express wait 10 min, Stop at Carribean Beach and then Pop. Room is not ready. It is now 11:50am.

What to do, what to do??? Answer: Pull out my flip-flops, literally throw my carryon bag at the luggage guy, and use all my self-restraint to prevent myself from running to the Magic Kingdom shuttle. A bus pulls up almost instantly....this is a sign of great things to come!

I have finally entered the World....
picture.php

And the "Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It" Parade is just starting, there is "The Man"

picture.php

Hey-Howdy-Hey Woody!

picture.php

Now starts what I will call my "photographic walk-through" as I just walked and shot pictures and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

In reviewing my pics upon return, I have discovered that:
1) I managed to get some nice shots for being a newbie.
2) I can't seem to take a level picture to save my life!
3) Lightroom 3 is my new best friend in helping my pictures come to life.

Firehouse~

picture.php

Trolley~

picture.php

Joy, joy, it's only 12:37 and the park closes at 9pm tonight. I still have 8.5 hours!

picture.php

The Dance/Music lesson windows in the little alcove along main street. You can hear them "practicing" if you listen closely.

picture.php

I apparently love lamps/lamp-posts (thus the TR title) as this is the first shot of many to come..

picture.php

At the end of Main Street, I got this Crystal Palace shot.

picture.php

And now, the beginning of many castle/hub shots.

picture.php

More to come!! (Maybe even today as the Blizzard of 2011 has closed my school in a suburb of Chicago.)
Thanks for reading if you are following!

Jerm

(what is the building behind Canada?)

picture.php

The building is Soarin' one of the worst placements ever, but at least they painted it to kinda match the sky.

Loved your pictures! One of the things I could tell from your trip report was you and your family are the "ride warrior" type, unless it goes fast or should be giving up an E-Ticket for it you didn't seem to like it or go on it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I can see why you don't like AK. One of the things that I did a few years ago was just take my time and enjoy the park and read more about it and it has become one of the most beautiful parks to me! I could fill a huge memory card just in that park alone! Next time you visit, if you want to take the time and learn to love AK either take one of the tours or before you go pick up the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom, either way it will help you love that park!!!!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
loved your first solo trip report! and your photography skills aren't too shabby for a newbie with a dslr! :D i love lamp posts at disney too!! they just make great photo opps. you have a very sweet son to make you such a cute welcome home sign. i love his drawings of the epcot fireworks about sse. so cute! glad you made it home safely. it really does seem like you just made it back in time before that big blizzard. thanks for sharing! :D

Thanks for the compliment on the photos, I truly enjoyed myself! I am a very lucky mom to have a son that took the time to make the poster. Notice also the $20 balloon from mainstreet? We always refused to by one for him for the price and hassle or carrying around....maybe we scarred him for life!

good stuff!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for reading! :)

The building is Soarin' one of the worst placements ever, but at least they painted it to kinda match the sky.

Loved your pictures! One of the things I could tell from your trip report was you and your family are the "ride warrior" type, unless it goes fast or should be giving up an E-Ticket for it you didn't seem to like it or go on it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I can see why you don't like AK. One of the things that I did a few years ago was just take my time and enjoy the park and read more about it and it has become one of the most beautiful parks to me! I could fill a huge memory card just in that park alone! Next time you visit, if you want to take the time and learn to love AK either take one of the tours or before you go pick up the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom, either way it will help you love that park!!!!

Never would have guessed Soarin...thanks for the answer.

Yes, we are more the ride warrior type. Back in 2004 though we did spend a whole day and did everything in AK (except for Rafiki's Planet Watch/Jungle Trek & Birds of Wonder), and did enjoy it. Maybe the once was enough for my family??
Thanks for the advice about the Imagineering book, I did not know they had one specific to AK. I might give that a whirl before my next trip.....maybe you just gave me justification for my next trip?!

Thanks for reading! :)

MillerPoppins

Great trip report! I'm looking forward to a little solo time myself next month. The only time I've had has always been at DTD, which has been nice to wander without having to worry about anyone else.

Your photos are great! Glad to hear you had such a great time!

Marion

I envy your trip. I have never traveled alone. Maybe I should. Wish I could go during Mardi Gras week . I haven't been to mardi GRAS in many years because I got tired of it. But...I never get tired of WDW.

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Great trip report! I'm looking forward to a little solo time myself next month. The only time I've had has always been at DTD, which has been nice to wander without having to worry about anyone else.

Your photos are great! Glad to hear you had such a great time!

Have a great time! I read your pre-trip...sorry didn't post, its my "lurker" personality.
I look forward to your trip report when you return!

I envy your trip. I have never traveled alone. Maybe I should. Wish I could go during Mardi Gras week . I haven't been to mardi GRAS in many years because I got tired of it. But...I never get tired of WDW.

I had never traveled alone before either...I highly recommend it. Very liberating! I agree, during Mardi Gras week would be a great time...but would have to hang out in Epcot where the wealth of alcohol is!

Nice pictures! Enjoyed checking them all out!

Thanks!:)

HollyBelle

I really enjoyed following along as you toured the MK resorts, and you definitely got some great shots. Thanks so much for sharing your solo trip with us!

catnrob

Take the camera????

My wife and I are taking our first trip together to WDW in October (she was there as a kid and I spent one day at Epcot as a kid). We have decided to leave our DSLR home and just take a point and shoot but you make me want to reconcider! I'm not even a hobby photographer but I think I could spend all week just shooting the details.

I want to see everything and ride the rides though, so I don't think we'll have time to do all that and take all the pictures too. I guess I'll have to plan another trip just for photography after I've earned my ears the first go round!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
I really enjoyed following along as you toured the MK resorts, and you definitely got some great shots. Thanks so much for sharing your solo trip with us!

Thx again. I wish you the best on your upcoming wedding & honeymoon. I can't wait to read that trip report!

My wife and I are taking our first trip together to WDW in October (she was there as a kid and I spent one day at Epcot as a kid). We have decided to leave our DSLR home and just take a point and shoot but you make me want to reconcider! I'm not even a hobby photographer but I think I could spend all week just shooting the details.

I want to see everything and ride the rides though, so I don't think we'll have time to do all that and take all the pictures too. I guess I'll have to plan another trip just for photography after I've earned my ears the first go round!

First time in MK? My vote would be no DSLR. It is a pain to carry around and at times I totally focused on the details (just as you said) instead of the "big picture." Not having the DSLR will give you an excuse to go back to the World and have a photography trip!

dreamlady85

Awesome pics! I was just wondering what specific DSLR you have? And what settings you used (if you can remember) to get the pics from inside HM? All of them were great! I have been on a couple solo trips and love being able to really take my time to explore. Thanks!

jhoff3405

Original Poster
Awesome pics! I was just wondering what specific DSLR you have? And what settings you used (if you can remember) to get the pics from inside HM? All of them were great! I have been on a couple solo trips and love being able to really take my time to explore. Thanks!

Thanks! I have a Nikon D90 (high end consumer/ low end professional) and was using my 50mm prime F1.8 and ISO was 6400. As I was shooting, I had no idea what would come out. I was pleasantly surprised!

tblundy

Great pictures! I too just recently got a new camera and the first thing I thought of was "this is gonna take great pictures in Disney World"!

I love that you went solo...how I would love to do that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom