The Beautiful Game - World Cup Chat

Cesar R M

If Germany beats the US, Ghana stands a reasonable chance of knocking us out if they defeat Portugal with a score of at least 2 and a goal differential of at least 1.

And wha stinks is that both games are going to be played at the same time!!!
germany will probably play weak players to prevent injury, as they are already qualified.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
germany will probably play weak players to prevent injury, as they are already qualified.
Actually, there is a SLIM chance that they could be eliminated.

They would need to lose to the US by either a wide margin, and Ghana would need to beat Portugal.

So, for example, if they lost to the US by 4 points, and Ghana beat Portugal by 2 points, The US and Ghana would advance. Or if they lost to the US by 1 point and Ghana beat Portugal by 5.

Any situation like that is very unlikely...but this Cup has been goofball!!!!

But, very unlikely, and I suspect you are correct. They'll play a lot of their B players...1 to get them ready for the later stages and warmed up, and 2 to prevent an injury.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
USA to Germany..."We need a tie!"

aG9mOM5_460sa_v1.gif

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Up tomorrow!

0ba741bec96a45c7868434377f4a6267.jpg

vs

euro2012_004.jpg

This is a farewell game for both. They are both already out, and there's no way they are going to advance. I'm going to root for Australia, simply because I like seeing Spain get humiliated. (hee hee)

dutch_football_fan.jpg

vs

U101P200T1D325128F8DT20100617033621.jpg

Both teams have already qualified, so I expect this to be an easy game where a lot of their substitute players get a chance to take the field. It should be fun to watch, but won't change the group standings at all. Both teams will be jockeying for goals, though, as Netherlands has the top spot by one goal, and Chile would enjoy taking that crown.

That being said, you may see a strategic point for the group of 16 here...as if things go for Group A's games the way it's expected (which may not happen, there have been a lot of upsets this cup), the chance to go up against Mexico (which the #1 from this group will) for the eliminations may be something they consider.

Next we have...

84027445.optim.jpg

vs

r

Brasil is the likely winner here, but Cameroon isn't a push over either. This should be a fun game to watch, and actually has some importance if Cameroon can pull off a win. If not, it will confirm Brasil's advancement to the next round.

However, if Cameroon pulls off a win, and scores enough points, it could not only unseat Brasil from the top of the group, but even put them in a position where they (or Mexico, depending on that game) are no longer advancing.

In any case, Cameroon has nothing to gain, outside of messing with the group standings and proving that, even though they've had a difficult time so far, they are a power in soccer.

I'll be rooting for Cameroon. Not that I have anything against Brasil, but they've got enough cup wins. Also, I'd love to see how this impacts the group...just because I like chaos!

At the same time, these guys will play...

PHO-10May26-227282.jpg

vs

REU-SOCCER-EURO__034.jpg

This match is hugely important, though it will likely go Mexico's way (and I hope it does!)

Croatia is sitting with 3 points after 1 win, and if they win here that will put them in the first or second slot, unseating Mexico and possibly Brasil (depending on how the Cameroon game goes). This is Croatia's last shot, and it's a long one...but possible!

That being said, I'll be rooting for Mexico!

LondonGopher

Late start this morning after last night's ex-pats' "ex-party". Oh, how close were we to showing that *winker* Ronaldo the EX-it?!

Don't know what commentary everyone else had...but for me the best line of the night (BBC) was ..."Ah, Nani...a brilliant career ruined by a ling brain injury." :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Late start this morning after last night's ex-pats' "ex-party". Oh, how close were we to showing that *winker* Ronaldo the EX-it?!

Don't know what commentary everyone else had...but for me the best line of the night (BBC) was ..."Ah, Nani...a brilliant career ruined by a ling brain injury." :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
We wuz robbed. 20 seconds left? Huh?

And, then he kicks this cross?

Ugh...

LondonGopher

We wuz robbed. 20 seconds left? Huh?

And, then he kicks this cross?

Ugh...

I know! Despite saying (out loud) that I knew that Portugal would level the match...inside I had begun to hope...

If I weren't so utterly hopeless at tech...I would attach (?) an e-mail that DH's niece sent to me yesterday AM. It shows Ronaldo (in all his waxed and man-scarad glory) and Clint Dempsey, blood all over his face. Under Ronaldo, "Best in Show" - under Dempsey, "Junkyard Dog"...I know which one I'd take...;)

When Dempsey went down with the broken nose during the Ghana match, my kid said, "He must be really hurt. Americans don't dive, right?". Ah, those moments...when you know you aren't a total failure as a parent. :happy:

Better work now...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I know! Despite saying (out loud) that I knew that Portugal would level the match...inside I had begun to hope...

If I weren't so utterly hopeless at tech...I would attach (?) an e-mail that DH's niece sent to me yesterday AM. It shows Ronaldo (in all his waxed and man-scarad glory) and Clint Dempsey, blood all over his face. Under Ronaldo, "Best in Show" - under Dempsey, "Junkyard Dog"...I know which one I'd take...;)

When Dempsey went down with the broken nose during the Ghana match, my kid said, "He must be really hurt. Americans don't dive, right?". Ah, those moments...when you know you aren't a total failure as a parent. :happy:

Better work now...
There is no way that 20 second "miracle" could have been predicted. That being said, the US put on a much stronger offence than anyone expected. Not only to make up for the early goal, but to take the lead?

I think that's what makes the tie even more bittersweet.

And yes, Americans don't dive. We play until we can't play anymore. Something to be respected about that, and something the more advanced teams in the sport should take note of (and the refs who have allowed this diving culture to take root and be successful).

And yes, since I was a FIFA certified ref for 12 years, I can throw stones (though I never did anything larger than rec club league play)...

sonyfan

It's the FIFA Anthem:

many thanks

Anyway, what a day. The Dutch-Australia game was entertaining and Chile beating Spain was on the disappointing side. I would've thought Spain would've had the extra incentive to dominate but they couldn't. Now if the Spanish lose to Australia, it's probably worse than France and Italy's performances back in 2010 put together! Chile needs a win to top the group. (A draw does no good because the Netherlands would still finish higher on goal difference.) Croatia dominated Cameroon as I expected so Mexico-Croatia is pretty much a win or go home game on Monday. (Brazil should top the group with a win over Cameroon.) Good set of three games tomorrow. I'm having my eyes set on the battle of desperation between Uruguay-England with Luis Suarez fit and ready.

It's the FIFA Anthem:

Anyway, what a day. The Dutch-Australia game was entertaining and Chile beating Spain was on the disappointing side. I would've thought Spain would've had the extra incentive to dominate but they couldn't. Now if the Spanish lose to Australia, it's probably worse than France and Italy's performances back in 2010 put together! Chile needs a win to top the group. (A draw does no good because the Netherlands would still finish higher on goal difference.) Croatia dominated Cameroon as I expected so Mexico-Croatia is pretty much a win or go home game on Monday. (Brazil should top the group with a win over Cameroon.) Good set of three games tomorrow. I'm having my eyes set on the battle of desperation between Uruguay-England with Luis Suarez fit and ready.

LondonGopher

There is no way that 20 second "miracle" could have been predicted. That being said, the US put on a much stronger offence than anyone expected. Not only to make up for the early goal, but to take the lead?

I think that's what makes the tie even more bittersweet.

And yes, Americans don't dive. We play until we can't play anymore. Something to be respected about that, and something the more advanced teams in the sport should take note of (and the refs who have allowed this diving culture to take root and be successful).

And yes, since I was a FIFA certified ref for 12 years, I can throw stones (though I never did anything larger than rec club league play)...

Yes, Shrek had something interesting to say about that, too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The "quien es mas macho?" (sorry, my system won't do accents or upside-down q-marks) sporting culture of America and the "that's just not cricket" attitude prevalent here in England DO NOT jive with the current climate in Champions League/International Football. To me a dive is WORSE than a foul! When I am queen, the divers get it first, and then the NFL wideouts who come up from the ground making "throw the flag" gestures. :mad:

Cesar R M

Yes, Shrek had something interesting to say about that, too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The "quien es mas macho?" (sorry, my system won't do accents or upside-down q-marks) sporting culture of America and the "that's just not cricket" attitude prevalent here in England DO NOT jive with the current climate in Champions League/International Football. To me a dive is WORSE than a foul! When I am queen, the divers get it first, and then the NFL wideouts who come up from the ground making "throw the flag" gestures. :mad:

honestly, I'm more ed at those who barely get touched and claim/act like they were hacked with a claymore sword.

tamotu99

Honestly if i was a ref, i would send of any player that rushes up o me when something happens, trying to make me give a foul or card, they would soon stop

And FIFA need a panel that look after each game for any dives, maybe a 3 strike rule fro the whole tournament,

Cesar R M

netherlands won anyway!

Mexico as things badly in line.
they have to beat croatia and probably will face Netherlands (unless somehow Brazil loses and Mexico and croatia tie with a nice goal ratio)

tamotu99

From the BBC, and a little late on my behalf

the first time since they played a friendly against China in 1996, some 221 matches ago, that the Netherlands will not have a player with 'Van' in his name in the team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom