That time of year: pop warner football

MissingDisney

Long time lurker here but I felt compelled to finally join yesterday because I was appalled at the hateful posts that were levied against Fairybuzz and all the cheerleader groups who may visit Disney. My eldest daughter is 14 and in chorus and they visited WDW April of last year and sang classical Disney songs while in line and were applauded. What I am getting at is both chorus and cheerleaders expressed themselves but it appears that the average guest just flat-out hates (or is jealous of) cheerleaders. Why all the hate towards the cheerleaders but not the chorus groups?
Preston, meet Fairy. Fairy, meet Preston. You two seem just fit for each other to enjoy a long, noisy, chanting, singing relationship at Disn...er, I mean your local Six Flags amusement park. Congrats and best wishes to you both.:D

MissingDisney

The singing, chanting, yelling interferes with the BGM-you know-the stuff that's meant to enhance and add to the experience of an attraction. Chanting and cheering interferes with the experience of the attraction. It's liken to audible vandalism.

psukardi

While this behavior is certainly unacceptable, I seriously doubt it was a cheerleader group who acted like this. We were all kids at one time and although we might have been brought up differently, we all acted somewhat rambunctious when we were with a group of peers. The obnoxious behavior that you witnessed in the park is natural and you were no different when you were younger (unless you were seclusive, that is). I have an aunt who is dying of cervical cancer and I would bet she would do anything to hear this "repulsive noise" again. Get over it.

How can you in all honesty defend this type of behavior. If you were the type that thought vandalism and destruction was a good time I sure hope you're not a parent. Really. You think that people urinating in hallways and destroying property and banging on windows is a "Good time". I can only hope you're trolling.

awesomeinabox

I think it would be a good idea for Disney to have a list on their website so you know what large scale events will be there when you are (With a disclaimer that there will ALWAYS be Brazillian tours ;) ). If you like cheerleading book around Worlds, if you like band book around Band events (I think there are band events?) if you want to just be alone with your background music go during a time when there are none of the above (or just go during food and wine and drink your way into a blissful state of imported happiness like I will be next year).
It is what it is, make the best of it.

Fairybuzz

See I think that's the point - we shouldn't have to ask. Somewhere along the line of your "growing up", you should have acquired that common sense that what is fun for you is spoiling a lot of other people's fun.

how many 12-14 year olds have you met that actually left their childhood bubbles completely? No one says "As mature as a 13 year old". I had a friend back then who thought the sun cooled down in the winter. You give that age group too much credit.

What I'm saying is, does it hurt to ask? I mean if it bothers you, I know you think you shouldn't have to ask, but refusing to do so isn't gonna make it go away. Maybe if enough people complain there may be stricter rules laid down? No one makes a change through inaction. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I think its kinda funny how this has become a hot button issue. Especially after I admitted I was wrong. Please don't ignore

How can you in all honesty defend this type of behavior. If you were the type that thought vandalism and destruction was a good time I sure hope you're not a parent. Really. You think that people urinating in hallways and destroying property and banging on windows is a "Good time". I can only hope you're trolling.

I can't speak for them but I don't think anyone's defending urinating in hallways or destroying property. First off If there's urine in the hallways I may be wrong, but I can assure you it wasn't us cheer girls who did that. The mechanics of that are baffling. Second of all I was terrified of boys who acted like that at that age and didn't want anything to do with them. So if anyone defends THAT, then I feel sorry for them.

Reading this thread helped me see how annoying I could have been on splash mountain. NO sarcasm at all meant by that statement IM SERIOUS. It was something that happened like 10 years ago and I never really thought about it to be honest. For someone like me who just loves everything to do with cheerleading hearing people cheering is exciting and pleasant to me. But I can see how people not like me would find it annoying. BIGGGG SORRY on that once again.

I think it would be a good idea for Disney to have a list on their website so you know what large scale events will be there when you are (With a disclaimer that there will ALWAYS be Brazillian tours ;) ). If you like cheerleading book around Worlds, if you like band book around Band events (I think there are band events?) if you want to just be alone with your background music go during a time when there are none of the above (or just go during food and wine and drink your way into a blissful state of imported happiness like I will be next year).
It is what it is, make the best of it.

I tried saying that and everyone beat me up lol. :oops:

Oh and to everyone once again I'm not defending every squad and football team ever. Im only defending the idea that yes its annoying but I didn't sink the titanic.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Its not too much to ask but you need to ask. If its bothering you its not like we were just running around on our own talk to the adults around us. Be polite. like @awesomeinabox said, there are other things we could've done together that didn't involve being loud. I know its really hard to remember my state of mind back then but I never wanted to make waves with adults. I was still at the state where the fact that our t-shirts glowed on space mountain would fascinate me for a long time lol.
No, I shouldn't need to ask a group of girls, boys, or both who are chanting or cheering at the top if their lungs to have common courtesy, or even a dose of common sense.

And yes, regardless of the age defense, that is a behavior within their grasp....

Fairybuzz

No, I shouldn't need to ask a group of girls, boys, or both who are chanting or cheering at the top if their lungs to have common courtesy, or even a dose of common sense.

And yes, regardless of the age defense, that is a behavior within their grasp....

Then don't! but don't expect anything to change then.

Its within their grasp, but kids won't know what no one tells them.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Whatever happened to expecting kids to stand quietly and politely in a line without having to make a game out of it?

You can't beat class into people. Some adult guests will just never achieve that level of decorum and lack any desire. It just isn't in them so to expect the children in their charge to act any differently, well it isn't going to happen.

As this thread goes on the one thing that is apparent, the supervision of these children is the issue. Adults encouraging and condoning being loud and disruptive to the theme of the resorts and parks. Putting their wants and needs above other guests and justifying same. The theme of the parks isn't cheers or Pop Warner. That Cheering theme has its own dedicated arena. But Pop adults don't seem to comprehend boundaries.

Worse, inserting hate and jealousy to deflect responsibility for the ill mannered groups or inserting their dying relatives. Excuse makers. Some adults just crave attention and teach that need to children. Unfortunately it becomes clear how self absorbed some Pop Warner adults are that they actually utter, if can't cope with our horrible behavior Don't come to WDW while we are there. Galling, insolent and beyond disrespectful. So how could we expect better behavior out of the children in their charge? You can't.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Or, they could go by the same set of standards they would see at home, in school, or even when they are being coached at cheer.

Common sense is just that....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I had such bad experiences at Pop and All Star I stopped going this time of year. I had to call security 3 times. I finally had to threaten to call 911 and then security finally came. this was going on until 1 o'clock in the morning. They were 30 kids with no supervision. ing in the stairwells, banging on windows, throwing trash on the roofs. One kid told me STFU! Security got the coaches finally but they just threw up their hands and said they can't control them.

I flipped on the manager at All Star. Iended up being refunded that night and given a $500 gift card for basicall thanking me for not calling 911 and for not fulfilling my promise to break off a chair leg and beat those hoodlums. I kid you not!

Haven't stayed on property since. I rent houses now and avoid first two weeks of Dember.
Up-Carl-Fredricksen-1846.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Exactly! They come to Disney without ever being taught how to behave in public by their parents. Their chaperons are encouraging boorish behavior. So it is up to strangers to instill values to the uncouth children that have been poorly raised, are poorly supervised, then released on unsuspecting families vacationing in WDW. And now it is the strangers, on vacation with their families responsibility to teach the uncouth. Oh My.

luv

I'm going to tell you what your parents obviously did not.

The rest of the world doesn't think you are cute, special and charming. It is very rude to subject them to your annoying, obnoxious, disruptive behavior. All those other people in the world are just as special as you are and they do deserve to vacation without having to endure that.

So stop it. Behave yourself. Apologize for your horrid behavior. Stop making excuses because there are none.

Grow up.

Sans Souci

The rest of the world doesn't think you are cute, special and charming. It is very rude to subject them to your annoying, obnoxious, disruptive behavior. All those other people in the world are just as special as you are and they do deserve to vacation without having to endure that.

So stop it. Behave yourself. Apologize for your horrid behavior. Stop making excuses because there are none.

Grow up.

I have the biggest girl crush on you right now.

That is all.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Exactly! They come to Disney without ever being taught how to behave in public by their parents. Their chaperons are encouraging boorish behavior. So it is up to strangers to instill values to the uncouth children that have been poorly raised, are poorly supervised, then released on unsuspecting families vacationing in WDW. And now it is the strangers, on vacation with their families responsibility to teach the uncouth. Oh My.
It takes a village.........but it shouldn't have to.

doctornick

We have been here all week. We are at Saratoga Springs so I can't speak to the hotel situation but we encountered many foot ball and cheerleader groups at magic kingdom yesterday and they were all well behaved. The only chanting we heard was a group doing a cheer at downtown Disney Tuesday evening. the only inconvenience to us was the early closing of HS the other night when we were planning to do the Osborne lights. , but that is one me because I must have missed the change in hours in my planning. Just wanted to give a different opinion of the groups and we are not associated with them in by way.

Just FWIW, I just got back and also did not notice any problems. The one incident that bothered me was when there was a large cheerleading group doing cheers on Sunset (kind of outside BatB) when I was in DHS. And, it wasn't the noise that bothered me, but that they took up 2/3 of the walkway, making it very difficult for traffic to go both ways (we were headed to ToT).

I saw a lot of kids around together in groups, but they did not strike me as any different or bothersome than any other school age kid group. I didn't experience any times when groups were a problem in lines for attractions.

Gabe1

Grow up.

Applause!

Fairybuzz

Or, they could go by the same set of standards they would see at home, in school, or even when they are being coached at cheer.

Common sense is just that....

I was not really worldly back then. Basically what an adult in charge told me I'd do. I had no idea how other people felt. I thought in black and white. I had no idea that people had that wide of a range of opinions even. To tell you my family didn't even have an internet capable computer. This idea that there is a flood of different viewpoints available to me is false. When your in a big group of people with common interests, that's the world to you. It didn't help that I wanted to impress a lot of football guys either. That age is a very confusing time for people. your reality changes so fast you can't keep up. One scan of internet trolls in mmos and comments sections and you will see these kids act bizarre. Boys wanna be as tough as possible girls wanna be as cute as possible. I may not have been rebellious but there is that element too. The element people feel when they lash out against anyone that makes them feel weak or unloved. A minor breakup would be a devastation, and people I grew up with had killed themselves over it. Middle school is one step above a ghetto mixed with a psyche ward to people like me who just tried to get by. Cheerleading was my outlet. It was a group I could identify with. It was something I could do and be proud of. It was fun, exciting, and took my mind off of things. Combine that with all the issues people face during puberty, and everything else just seems secondary unless it's brought to the forefront.

And then we grow up. We find that our issues in Middle School were silly and frivolous. We dismiss those years and let them fade from memory. They either embarrass us, lightly amuse us, or cease to apply to our lives when we realize things just get tougher. But as we grow up we also see the experiences of others. We learn how others feel and maybe those we dismissed before are a lot more like us than we ever could have imagined back then. We forget how it felt in those crucial years. If we went back in time and met out middle school selves, we'd probably hate them, or at least think they're annoying. I don't know about anyone else but I sometimes wish that I could take everything I know now and go back then. I may have been able to change everything for the better. These things seem so obvious to us now; Common sense, decency, courtesy, were not our focus at that age, and never at the front of our minds. I knew of no one back then who was the perfect little angel. Even those who teachers thought were, were secretly bullies, or mean, or stuck up.

So as adults we don't connect with people that age. We're no longer blinded by hormones or stupid school crushes, or drama that seemed just so important at the time. So we can't possibly understand why kids don't think about others around them. We forget what its like to have one moment where we could just let go.

In short, at that age, kids aren't rational, and you know what? Sometimes even trying to instill values in them is not enough. They need a guide.

As adults we need to be there for them. We need to tell any child in our charge what is and is not appropriate. I'm doing the best I can with my sister. I will make sure she knows to be respectful of others. But one girl can't be the boss of an entire squad. Peer pressure is a mighty thing too. You can push and push all you want but they push harder.

Unfortunately you would be correct to assume we live in a society of privilege. People aren't against you, they're for themselves.

Grow up.

Can we please stop getting personal? I'm not responsible for every single bit of misbehavior ever in the history of Pop or disney parks in general. One little girl could not command every other person her age, and I was blinded by typical little girl mentality.

I apologized. I don't think my one cheer warrants the term Horrid but inappropriate yes. I will apologize again and again and again and no one will accept it. I'm a human being too. I make mistakes. I'm not perfect. I never claim to be.

I'm not evil incarnate either. My crime of being too loud at a theme park obviously hurts you on a personal level, and for that I'm really sorry. Had I known that people were this deeply offended by it I would have stayed out of this thread entirely.
I hate offending people, and I hate knowing that someone is hurt by something I say or do.
soooo.....

I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that you can quote

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Adults raise, teach, coach and counsel children that age; I'm one of them. So yes, believe it or not they can relate.

I never said anything against you personally. So spare me your martyrdom.

And anyone can use common sense to see that they're being rude or disruptive to someone else, even at a theme park. Age is not an excuse, particularly for those who spend time being trained and coached.

MissingDisney

Just FWIW, I just got back and also did not notice any problems. The one incident that bothered me was when there was a large cheerleading group doing cheers on Sunset (kind of outside BatB) when I was in DHS. And, it wasn't the noise that bothered me, but that they took up 2/3 of the walkway, making it very difficult for traffic to go both ways (we were headed to ToT).

Oh my, did you just say the only group that was problematic was CHEERLEADERS?!?!?! Imagine that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom