That time of year: pop warner football

rael ramone

I'm not attempting to tell anyone how to behave, simply requesting that they understand there are other people in the park as well, and perhaps chanting, cheering or the like isn't something others may want to hear. Now, how is that unreasonable?

So, Disney did tell people how to (or not to) act.....

The key is balance. You enjoy the park with your fellow guests, not at the expense of them.

How you behave, how you dress, what language you use, where you smoke, how much you drink, etc.

At least for now, the parks still attract a wide range of guests. No need to kowtow to the will of the most dogmatic/repressed there, but temper behavior with consideration for your fellow guests.

Reminds me of that SNL sketch years ago (late 80s-early 90s I believe). Chevy Chase was the host. They were all at a Van Morrison concert. Everyone else was in their seats, but Melanie Hutsell stood up in front of them dancing - blocking their view...

Cmdr_Crimson

image.png

It's only the first wave before.....THEM!
brazillian.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So, Disney did tell people how to (or not to) act.....

Multiple times. Each family must sign a Code of Conduct now, here is one...

2007 Three teams competing in the Pop Warner Super Bowl Competition were evicted from Walt Disney World's All-Star Resort over the weekend because of a fighting incident at the hotel. "This was unfortunate, but with thousands of guests staying at the resort we have to maintain a safe environment for everyone," Jacob DiPietre, a spokesman for Walt Disney World, said Monday. "All participants were made aware of our strict zero-tolerance policy

Fairybuzz

Two thoughts: I would stop an watch a squad of LGBT cheerleaders. That breaks the mold.

Second? Sound systems gonna bring me back up yeah. One thing that I can depend on.
*dodges the bullets of arguments in between this post and yours since I apologized already*

Awesome :D Gotta love good old ska punk! We're lacking that in modern music choices. I pretty much grew up listening to all kinds of good punk. I started out with Offspring who were big when I was 10 or so, that's like Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana. From there I kinda went on to one of (I believe) the greatest bands of all time The Dead Kennedys, who are no sorta split into Jello Biafra, and East Bay Rays factions, but their current situation doesn't make their songs any less powerful. Yes I'm aware one of their songs made fun of cheerleaders but I still liked that song because It was true lol especially on the mentality of some football players I wont name names >.> but there is a difference between a jock and an athlete. But I'll tell you if there was ever a cheer about snapping spinal cords I'd be all on that lol! Other than that I like NoFX, Ramones, I see the misfits every year on Halloween (couldn't this year cuz I couldn't get someone to watch my sis). I like Flogging Molly, Gogol Bordello, god so many lol. I also like bands like Social Distortion, the Descendants, Lagwagon, and I adore Tribe 8 pansy division and the Donnas and the riot grrrl groups. I'll tell you Flogging Molly and Gogol Bordello put on some really great shows.

So yeah I'm not the typical preppy cheerleader I don't like to stick myself in one category. Im a Sci Fi nerd, I listen to this music, I cheer lead, My ideology is if it looks like you'd like it, try it! Don't others tell you who you gotta be. I guess thats why punk music appeals to me. Its about breaking the mold, and also I actually like the arrangements as well. People are surprised to learn that an atricle by Greg Graffin of Bad Religion (very smart guy btw) was the thing that convinced me to come out as bi.

Yeah and believe it or not the trans woman you'd never tell at all. Like she's beautiful, for real. Coincidentally our basketball team has a trans man on it, and other than his height, you'd never tell either. I myself am Bi, and make no attempts to hide that. So we're a patchwork bunch. I like it this way because no one can be ignorant if your friends and peers are that diverse.

Long time lurker here but I felt compelled to finally join yesterday because I was appalled at the hateful posts that were levied against Fairybuzz and all the cheerleader groups who may visit Disney. My eldest daughter is 14 and in chorus and they visited WDW April of last year and sang classical Disney songs while in line and were applauded. What I am getting at is both chorus and cheerleaders expressed themselves but it appears that the average guest just flat-out hates (or is jealous of) cheerleaders. Why all the hate towards the cheerleaders but not the chorus groups?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Long time lurker here but I felt compelled to finally join yesterday because I was appalled at the hateful posts that were levied against Fairybuzz and all the cheerleader groups who may visit Disney. My eldest daughter is 14 and in chorus and they visited WDW April of last year and sang classical Disney songs while in line and were applauded. What I am getting at is both chorus and cheerleaders expressed themselves but it appears that the average guest just flat-out hates (or is jealous of) cheerleaders. Why all the hate towards the cheerleaders but not the chorus groups?
I think for most people there is no hate, they just want to be able to experience queues and attraction as Disney intended. Hearing songs or chants is not what the designers intended. I think it can be equated to people talking through a movie.

bugsbunny

I had such bad experiences at Pop and All Star I stopped going this time of year. I had to call security 3 times. I finally had to threaten to call 911 and then security finally came. this was going on until 1 o'clock in the morning. They were 30 kids with no supervision. ing in the stairwells, banging on windows, throwing trash on the roofs. One kid told me STFU! Security got the coaches finally but they just threw up their hands and said they can't control them.

I flipped on the manager at All Star. Iended up being refunded that night and given a $500 gift card for basicall thanking me for not calling 911 and for not fulfilling my promise to break off a chair leg and beat those hoodlums. I kid you not!

Haven't stayed on property since. I rent houses now and avoid first two weeks of Dember.

I had such bad experiences at Pop and All Star I stopped going this time of year. I had to call security 3 times. I finally had to threaten to call 911 and then security finally came. this was going on until 1 o'clock in the morning. They were 30 kids with no supervision. ing in the stairwells, banging on windows, throwing trash on the roofs. One kid told me STFU! Security got the coaches finally but they just threw up their hands and said they can't control them.

I flipped on the manager at All Star. Iended up being refunded that night and given a $500 gift card for basicall thanking me for not calling 911 and for not fulfilling my promise to break off a chair leg and beat those hoodlums. I kid you not!

Haven't stayed on property since. I rent houses now and avoid first two weeks of December.

While this behavior is certainly unacceptable, I seriously doubt it was a cheerleader group who acted like this. We were all kids at one time and although we might have been brought up differently, we all acted somewhat rambunctious when we were with a group of peers. The obnoxious behavior that you witnessed in the park is natural and you were no different when you were younger (unless you were seclusive, that is). I have an aunt who is dying of cervical cancer and I would bet she would do anything to hear this "repulsive noise" again. Get over it.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And when they're in an environment with thousands of others, why is it unreasonable to expect that perhaps these groups could restrain from chanting and cheering? Why is that too much to ask for?

And I'm sorry, but bringing your aunt into the discussion doesn't do much to move the argument in one direction or the other....

bugsbunny

While this behavior is certainly unacceptable, I seriously doubt it was a cheerleader group who acted like this. We were all kids at one time and although we might have been brought up differently, we all acted somewhat rambunctious when we were with a group of peers. The obnoxious behavior that you witnessed in the park is natural and you were no different when you were younger (unless you were seclusive, that is). I have an aunt who is dying of cervical cancer and I would bet she would do anything to hear this "repulsive noise" again. Get over it.

Not cheerleaders.Was Baltimore and Philly's football teams.

Get over it? That's equal parts hilarious and ignorant. You're right. How dare I try to sleep or enjoy my vacation. Kids urinating outside my door should be dismissed as Disney magic. Sorry about your aunt, but I find it hard to believe she or ANY adult wishes to see this behvior.

Fairybuzz

I think for most people there is no hate, they just want to be able to experience queues and attraction as Disney intended. Hearing songs or chants is not what the designers intended. I think it can be equated to people talking through a movie.

I actually can see this. Like I said I can understand if we were disrupting a preshow or even preshow elements, or even preventing people from hearing ambient music on line. Our chant at the front of the park could not have possibly been that disruptive. I've even seen a few people smile at us. Had we been in a Christmas parade of course everyone woulda loved us. I did not make any noise on a bus nor monorail nor tram.

I can understand how I was wrong about splash mountain. But walking around a crowded theme park, noise of all kinds is expected. When I was a kid, I was in a burger king with a play place. We were making, a normal amount of noise for girls playing in a play place. A man got up from his table and walked to the manager and complained that kids would not be quiet. The manager simply told him "there's nothing we can do. If you wanted a quiet dinner why did you come to a burger king with a playground?"

awesomeinabox

I'm sorry but sadly it comes across as hate. I get what you are trying to say but disagree. I don't want to fight, really, I just disagree. That being said,

I love Pop week, I love The Cheerleading Worlds week, I love it all. I coach cheer and have been a cheerleader for 18 years and yes, I have taken my girls to Pop Nationals. After all of the hours of practice and hard work my girls have put in I am nothing but happy to take them out and cheer and chant all of the parks. Me. Alone. One coach 30 girls. (which can be controlled by me through hand signals alone) They behave and we do fun chants and cheers (unless there is an obvious reason not to like a sleeping child). No destruction to property or stunting, just harmless fun cheering. For 14 hours of their trip they are in the Milk House (Jostens now I think) so the other three days we aren't practicing our butts off I'm glad to take them out and have a great time. NOW... being up late at the hotels and being loud/destructive is uncalled for, I guarantee you if that happened on my watch we would no longer be attending Nationals and the remainder of that trip would be spent in said hotel room watching that attractions video over....and over.... and over...

The next time y'all have an issue in line just politely ask the coach or parent to have them take the volume down, most of the girls know a lot of silent cheers/games (how do you think I keep 'em quiet during the Great Movie Ride Preview room?). Next year don't go on Pop week, they announce the date nearly a year in advance so it's easy to plan around. As a hint if you have to hit pop for your vaca then get the beginning of the week, the cheerleaders compete at the end, and the end also butts up with AYF and UYF Nationals.

In other news I just made my final payment... Disney World here I come :) (And no, I don't cheer by myself in the lines don't worry).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm sorry but sadly it comes across as hate. I get what you are trying to say but disagree. I don't want to fight, really, I just disagree. That being said,

I love Pop week, I love The Cheerleading Worlds week, I love it all. I coach cheer and have been a cheerleader for 18 years and yes, I have taken my girls to Pop Nationals. After all of the hours of practice and hard work my girls have put in I am nothing but happy to take them out and cheer and chant all of the parks. Me. Alone. One coach 30 girls. (which can be controlled by me through hand signals alone) They behave and we do fun chants and cheers (unless there is an obvious reason not to like a sleeping child). No destruction to property or stunting, just harmless fun cheering. For 14 hours of their trip they are in the Milk House (Jostens now I think) so the other three days we aren't practicing our butts off I'm glad to take them out and have a great time. NOW... being up late at the hotels and being loud/destructive is uncalled for, I guarantee you if that happened on my watch we would no longer be attending Nationals and the remainder of that trip would be spent in said hotel room watching that attractions video over....and over.... and over...

The next time y'all have an issue in line just politely ask the coach or parent to have them take the volume down, most of the girls know a lot of silent cheers/games (how do you think I keep 'em quiet during the Great Movie Ride Preview room?). Next year don't go on Pop week, they announce the date nearly a year in advance so it's easy to plan around. As a hint if you have to hit pop for your vaca then get the beginning of the week, the cheerleaders compete at the end, and the end also butts up with AYF and UYF Nationals.

In other news I just made my final payment... Disney World here I come :) (And no, I don't cheer by myself in the lines don't worry).
I guess most guests just don't see why the chanting can't be left in the competition hall or the practise room. As you say, they are doing 15 hour days of cheering, so does it have to carry on in queues outside of that.

Most visitors to WDW will have no idea when Pop is, or even what it is. All they know is that there are thousands of kids cheering all over the parks for no obvious reason. So most will not know to avoid it.

Most guests will not go up to a group of 30 kids in line and tell them to be quiet. They will just expect some common sense to prevail and won't want to cause a scene.

You are obviously heavily involved in cheer, and have a different view of what actually goes on. I can tell you though, many many guests find the in park cheers extremely annoying. That is just the way it is.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The next time y'all have an issue in line just politely ask the coach or parent to have them take the volume down, most of the girls know a lot of silent cheers/games (how do you think I keep 'em quiet during the Great Movie Ride Preview room?).
Whatever happened to expecting kids to stand quietly and politely in a line without having to make a game out of it?

luv

With the exception of @Nemo14 , who desperately craves attention from the "cool" high school kids, I don't think anyone else is jealous of the kids.

I think most people would just like to enjoy their vacations without having obnoxious teen girls yelling and cheering and generally being disruptive.

Fairybuzz

And when they're in an environment with thousands of others, why is it unreasonable to expect that perhaps these groups could restrain from chanting and cheering? Why is that too much to ask for?

And I'm sorry, but bringing your aunt into the discussion doesn't do much to move the argument in one direction or the other....

Its not too much to ask but you need to ask. If its bothering you its not like we were just running around on our own talk to the adults around us. Be polite. like @awesomeinabox said, there are other things we could've done together that didn't involve being loud. I know its really hard to remember my state of mind back then but I never wanted to make waves with adults. I was still at the state where the fact that our t-shirts glowed on space mountain would fascinate me for a long time lol.

Nemo14

Its not too much to ask but you need to ask. If its bothering you its not like we were just running around on our own talk to the adults around us. Be polite. like @awesomeinabox said, there are other things we could've done together that didn't involve being loud. I know its really hard to remember my state of mind back then but I never wanted to make waves with adults. I was still at the state where the fact that our t-shirts glowed on space mountain would fascinate me for a long time lol.

See I think that's the point - we shouldn't have to ask. Somewhere along the line of your "growing up", you should have acquired that common sense that what is fun for you is spoiling a lot of other people's fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom