News Test Track to be reimagined

jeanericuser001

*facepalm*

That is exactly what I watched. Sorry for confusion!
What makes this all the more embarrassing is after world of motion was decommissioned a few years later some of those animatronics ended up at the backlot tour in the waiting area just before the boarding zone. If you looked up you could see several of the animatronics. My favorite has always been the masculine centaur. It was always a good inside joke that went over most heads.

DreamfinderGuy

*facepalm*

That is exactly what I watched. Sorry for confusion!
As part of the Futureport team I can say that the cutout thing was simply the only way we could realistically release a WoM recreation without taking several years, it’s just so AA heavy that we went with using photos and focused the modeling effort on everything else. The hope is to someday have fully modeled and animated figures installed instead of flats, but that won’t be until the far future when there are other volunteers involved. The best representation of the attraction is still a real POV. 💙

bwr827

As part of the Futureport team I can say that the cutout thing was simply the only way we could realistically release a WoM recreation without taking several years, it’s just so AA heavy that we went with using photos and focused the modeling effort on everything else. The hope is to someday have fully modeled and animated figures installed instead of flats, but that won’t be until the far future when there are other volunteers involved. The best representation of the attraction is still a real POV. 💙
Congrats on the effort and result!

Haymarket2008

It’s spectacular. Getting a full dimensional feel for the space is so cool. I rode it a handful of times as a LITTLE one, but only have vague memories.

J4546

Maybe they can rebuild that canopy above the viewing area for.the communicore plaza stage, cause being in direct sunlight sucks

splah

It appears the top covering of the canopy has been removed - photos from today:

Wonder why thy need these additional supports in the back?

Attachments

• IMG_7550.jpeg
    IMG_7550.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 57

splah

The black ones with look like they are additional to the silver ones. Wonder why this section needs more support

Attachments

• IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 55

doctornick

I'm very happy the canopy is going, but I think my most unpopular opinion about the parks is that the architecture of the Future World pavilions wasn't quite as amazing as people imagine looking back from the present. Some were more successful than others and most of the additions over the years have made them worse (e.g. the canopy or the fish stuck all over The Seas). The park itself was also incredible.

I think, though, in the design of the pavilions this sort of concept:
View attachment 806005

mostly ended up looking more like this in reality:
View attachment 806006

I am fully ready to get a lot of comments about how beautiful the building in the second image looks, though!

I'm with you as well. I greatly enjoyed classic Future World, but I'll admit that when people wax poetic around here about the architecture of the area I... don't get it. It mean, it was fine, but I certainly didn't look at the different shaped buildings and get inspired or anything. They just were there. Unlike say MK/DL where the different lands with different themes are pretty awesome just to absorb and appreciate the details.

I get that it was very ambitious to house the entire rides and other showpieces in "themed" buildings and have them basically "hidden in plain sight". But outside of SSE they didn't strike me as interesting - generally they were just geometric shapes. I know a lot of thought and effort went into the details (especially the differences between East and West) and I can appreciate that but I don't know if I really cared.

Ironically, I do find your choice of Imagination to be odd as it was probably IMHO the next most interesting building in FW after SSE. All the rest I would probably just lump together as just being there.

Bocabear

I'm with you as well. I greatly enjoyed classic Future World, but I'll admit that when people wax poetic around here about the architecture of the area I... don't get it. It mean, it was fine, but I certainly didn't look at the different shaped buildings and get inspired or anything. They just were there. Unlike say MK/DL where the different lands with different themes are pretty awesome just to absorb and appreciate the details.

I get that it was very ambitious to house the entire rides and other showpieces in "themed" buildings and have them basically "hidden in plain sight". But outside of SSE they didn't strike me as interesting - generally they were just geometric shapes. I know a lot of thought and effort went into the details (especially the differences between East and West) and I can appreciate that but I don't know if I really cared.

Ironically, I do find your choice of Imagination to be odd as it was probably IMHO the next most interesting building in FW after SSE. All the rest I would probably just lump together as just being there.
Well not everyone cares about or gets the details... The architecture to me was inspirational. Forward thinking, beautiful buildings housing attractions. It has always been a beautiful park... The park had something for those of us that loved the design details as well as those that just wanted a ride or a cocktail... I am glad there are others that see the beauty and appreciate what was created to make this such a special place. I think overall more people cared about what they built and appreciate it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom