News Test Track to be reimagined

Rich Brownn

Its funny. The one ride that gets the right attention and is still aligned with original Epcot Center is the one ride that still has a sponsor. Maybe Disney Brass should go back to that model for the rest of the current Future World attractions save for GotG. That ride belongs somewhere else.
It's not that Disney isn't trying to find sponsors. It's just large corporations figure they can get more for their buck elsewhere (Internet, streaming, etc.)

montyz81

It's not that Disney isn't trying to find sponsors. It's just large corporations figure they can get more for their buck elsewhere (Internet, streaming, etc.)
If they are, they are not actively pushing it. GotG got done without one. Not sure they pushed it for that one either. SSE redo was going to get done without one before Covid. It seems like if the program is still there they just don't bother to push it because they are fighting evelyrhing you say.
That said, with SSE now covered in LED pucks, a sponsor should be easier to get because they can update their messaging or create mini advertisements easily and connect that to social medial. Not sure why Disney had not capitalized on that for any screen related technology.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
If they are, they are not actively pushing it. GotG got done without one. Not sure they pushed it for that one either. SSE redo was going to get done without one before Covid. It seems like if the program is still there they just don't bother to push it because they are fighting evelyrhing you say.
That said, with SSE now covered in LED pucks, a sponsor should be easier to get because they can update their messaging or create mini advertisements easily and connect that to social medial. Not sure why Disney had not capitalized on that for any screen related technology.
I think that would be a bridge too far honestly. I would Disney wouldn’t do that. If the SSE ball started projecting a Nike checkmark I’d be realllllllly disappointed.

sedati

I think that would be a bridge too far honestly. I would Disney wouldn’t do that. If the SSE ball started projecting a Nike checkmark I’d be realllllllly disappointed.
1719681944052.png

I seem to remember G.E. also being projected on the geosphere with lasers at the end of their sponsored night shows.

Worse still was the seven minute long Kodak commercial you had to sit stand through to get into the Magic Eye Theater. Or the Living Seas pre-show that was also just an add for United Technologies.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
View attachment 795450

I seem to remember G.E. also being projected on the geosphere with lasers at the end of their sponsored night shows.

Worse still was the seven minute long Kodak commercial you had to sit stand through to get into the Magic Eye Theater. Or the Living Seas pre-show that was also just an add for United Technologies.
Nooooooooo. Was this a one time thing? How often did they do sponsored night shows? Did they stop cause people hated it?

sedati

Nooooooooo. Was this a one time thing? How often did they do sponsored night shows? Did they stop cause people hated it?
The nighttime spectaculars- Laserphonic Fantasy and then Illuminations were the sponsored shows. As was every pavilion and nation.
As wonderful as it was, EPCOT Center was the original infomercial. The sponsorships went well beyond a simple "sponsored by..." under a marquee.

C33Mom

The nighttime spectaculars- Laserphonic Fantasy and then Illuminations were the sponsored shows. As was every pavilion and nation.
As wonderful as it was, EPCOT Center was the original infomercial. The sponsorships went well beyond a simple "sponsored by..." under a marquee.
I am happy to have more sponsorships and even watch short commercials while I queue if it means we get better attractions more frequently.

Rich Brownn

Disney stopped pursuing sponsors after it became evident none were interested in it anymore. GM likes it because they have a car showroom at the end, where most other attractions didn't have a way to display the product. In the 80s name recognition was enough, so Energy, Horizon, Life, and Seas didn't have product displays. (Imagination was Kodak and they were the official film anyways.) There's no sense investing time and money into something that stopped producing results years ago

sedati

I am happy to have more sponsorships and even watch short commercials while I queue if it means we get better attractions more frequently.
It never meant that though. With Epcot it meant throwing out a lot of concepts to appease the sponsors. It meant delays and cutbacks. It also (IMHO) meant less timeless attractions if you go back and look at what the imagineers originally pitched before an outside interest had any influence. It only barely worked for a time and that time has long since past. As others have pointed out, that model of investment doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:

C33Mom

It never meant that though. With Epcot it meant throwing out a lot of concepts to appease the sponsors. It meant delays and cutback. It also (IMHO) meant less timeless attractions if you go back and look at what the imagineers originally pitched before an outside interest had any influence. It only barely worked for a time and that time has long since past. As others have pointed out, that model of investment doesn't work anymore.
I’ll defer to experts if the model doesn’t work anymore, but I fell in love with Delta Dreamflight as a child— I enjoyed the ride and I think it inspired a lifelong interest in travel and aviation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom