Test Track refurb???

Disaddict

Test Track is indeed going down in April. It was originally January but park operations needs forced a postponement.

Where did you see this posted? If it goes down in April then it means that we may just barely miss the opening. :( Oh well, at least it will be getting done.

wdwfan22

I wish Disney would just hurry up and announce when it's closing. Another website is now posting summer 2012 as the closing date. I guess time will tell.

NoChesterHester

Hmmm. That's what my wife said she thought about it. If that's the case then I'm a little irritated with Disney for not taking the upper hand in the now defunct attractions and trying to do something to bring them back online with or without a sponsor. What happens if they lose all of their sponsors one day? Will Future World lay like a ghost town?

Well it isnt like the sponsorless attractions are doing real well right now. My opinion is that the model needs to be revisited. Not much in advertising dollars out there nowadays. I've always believed that Epcot has to be a cash cow. I'd be surprised if it isnt the most profitable park on a per guest average because of all the shopping, dining, and drinking that is part of the Epcot experience.

Disaddict

It's Martin Smith, go with it. :wave:

That's okay. I'll wait for an official word. ;) If I had a dollar for every person on all the Disney boards that say they "know someone" or are "in tight with a Disney insider" then I'd have enough to go to WDW tomorrow. LOL So far the general consensus online is nearly 90% leaning toward a January refurb start. ;) But now even that is confirmed until Disney posts it, which they haven't yet. It may very well be April, but I don't take someone's word on it just because they say they know someone. No one here would believe me if I told them that I know Barrack Obama. LOL

misterID

Yeah, but you have to consider some have very good track records that you're not aware of. If the vast majority of vet posters here are saying his word is good, I'd go with it. But whatever floats your boat.

NoChesterHester

That's okay. I'll wait for an official word. ;) If I had a dollar for every person on all the Disney boards that say they "know someone" or are "in tight with a Disney insider" then I'd have enough to go to WDW tomorrow. LOL So far the general consensus online is nearly 90% leaning toward a January refurb start. ;) But now even that is confirmed until Disney posts it, which they haven't yet. It may very well be April, but I don't take someone's word on it just because they say they know someone. No one here would believe me if I told them that I know Barrack Obama. LOL

I understand your skepticism, but there are a couple of very reliable people on here. Martin, Lee, Raven, and the Site Owner (Steve) are a couple. Their information is usually more reliable then the various fan blogs. Most fan blogs dont have a very good track record.

Disaddict

I understand your skepticism, but there are a couple of very reliable people on here. Martin, Lee, Raven, and the Site Owner (Steve) are a couple. Their information is usually more reliable then the various fan blogs. Most fan blogs dont have a very good track record.

And I get that. Truly I do. I am not trying to say for sure that they do or do not know "insiders". Not at all. I don't know them, so how do I know? They may be room mates with the "insiders". :) Like I told Lee, I have nothing but respect for someone that can get that close to people at Disney to get the information that they do. The thing is, I have seen far too many people say that they know people and then be wrong. He may be right about April but there was only ever really two choices, January or April.

I'm actually jealous of anyone here that knows someone in Disney with that kind of knowledge.

NoChesterHester

And I get that. Truly I do. I am not trying to say for sure that they do or do not know "insiders". Not at all. I don't know them, so how do I know? They may be room mates with the "insiders". :) Like I told Lee, I have nothing but respect for someone that can get that close to people at Disney to get the information that they do. The thing is, I have seen far too many people say that they know people and then be wrong. He may be right about April but there was only ever really two choices, January or April.

I'm actually jealous of anyone here that knows someone in Disney with that kind of knowledge.

Just after Easter in April seems to jive with what the front line cast members have been told.

I've never known Martin to be wrong on these forums.

WDW1974

Honesty. That's refreshing. And I'm not talking about you, just in general I believe you are speaking a 'tude that many fanbois have.

They don't know people inside the company. They don't have connections. They don't work in the industry.

So, they are skeptical and, quite often, downright nasty toward people that have REAL info.

And at the end of the day it is just petty jealousy over something that isn't all that important in reality.

Disaddict

Just after Easter in April seems to jive with what the front line cast members have been told.

I've never known Martin to be wrong on these forums.

I can see the April thing though if it is in line with the New Fantsyland partial opening. Is that what all of the scrims are up for right now as well? Getting things ready for the reveal?

lazyboy97o

Forgive me for asking a stupid question here... I've been going to WDW long enough that I ought to know this answer but why does Disney rely on sponsors for the attractions at EPCOT? They put money into all of their other parks attractions. I don't seem to be able to find a sponsorship for New Fantasyland anywhere.
They started with that model in Epcot and it remains to this day. Antiquated? Someone else will have to opine on that.
It is a model that started with Disneyland. Walt Disney Productions, which became The Walt Disney Company, was a much smaller company with much less in the way of resources. The use of sponsors to fund both Disneyland and EPCOT Center was a means of building out a more full vision even though the company itself did not have the resources to build everything it desired. The model remains because it is still a means for Disney to get somebody else to pay for attractions. While many attractions at EPCOT Center do still have sponsors, I cannot think of many examples where the sponsorship ending itself correlated to the attraction closing. Lack fo upgrades or spaces remaining closed have many other issues as well but sponsorship is visible and makes for an easily supposed cause.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ironically we complain about sponsorships still being around for EPCOT Center, at the same time we complain about the attractions not being kept up to newer standards, which has recently been more Disney/Pixar Character based things. So, be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, I think one reason for Epcot having sponsors was going back to the original City plan.

Walt was very committed to having the greatest minds of "American Industry" taking part in making sure that the city plan stayed cutting edge. The Imagineers also followed this path for the subsequent theme park, but the problem eventually became that other sponsorship opportunities were much more useful (national television ads, internet, etc.)

Additionally, the idea of the "great minds" of industry has since turned into the "evil corporations" taking over the world, in the minds of many people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom