Test Track refurb???

JWG

Compaq made the agreement to build the new space pavilion, but they didn't contribute anything to the operation of Horizons. Horizons only was revived seasonally due to Universe of Energy and WoM closures, otherwise, Horizons would have been mothballed much sooner.

Correct, I should have said that better. Had Compaq not come in to save the pavilion space with something, Horizons likely would have gone the way of WoL. Horizons short lived reprieve was merely a matter of need to deal with the Test Track overrun and Energy refurb.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'll have to dig up the book where I read in detail regarding this, but that's not why the company had sponsors of pavilions at EPCOT. It was cut and dry, Disney wanted additional revenue to offset costs. Several World Showcase pavilions were shelved because of a lack of funding from their host country and/or companies within that country.

I won't disagree with you, I'm SURE that it had to do with the bottom line and you're right...Disney wasn't the massive mega-company it is now, however if you look at the roots of EPCOT, they wanted other companies to show off their newest inventions and be a testing area for new products. They were going to have an entire separate area for factories and the best minds of (at the time) American industry.

Basically all I am saying is that it wasn't a stretch for them to go the sponsorship route in that case. TODAY is a completely different story. They need to run this park like they own 100% of it.

janoimagine

Does anyone know if there will be an on-line version of "Design a car and make a TV ad" thing as it's probably going to be a long time before I go again!

Please dont use one of my photographs as your avatar. I would respectfully ask that you find another photograph to use, preferrably not one off my fickr page, that is my own IP.

Axle1986

Please dont use one of my photographs as your avatar. I would respectfully ask that you find another photograph to use, preferrably not one off my fickr page, that is my own IP.

Did you take all of the photos of your Flickr yourself? Those are some amazing photos mate. Wow. :)

alphac2005

I won't disagree with you, I'm SURE that it had to do with the bottom line and you're right...Disney wasn't the massive mega-company it is now, however if you look at the roots of EPCOT, they wanted other companies to show off their newest inventions and be a testing area for new products. They were going to have an entire separate area for factories and the best minds of (at the time) American industry.

Basically all I am saying is that it wasn't a stretch for them to go the sponsorship route in that case. TODAY is a completely different story. They need to run this park like they own 100% of it.

You're totally right about the idea of EPCOT being a showcase for American innovation. Doesn't seem like that now... ;) ALTHOUGH, I do have hope that the Test Track redo will be a step in the right direction with the old, positive theme of the future. We'll see!

Captain Neo

I hope it's not Test Track: Subtitle like every other ride. I would honestly prefera new name and an icon
Ike the old Epcot pavillions

WDWFREAK53

I have so much hope for this one...
It's a great "thrill" ride for families and while I wasn't super-crazy about the theming of the original (due to it being placed in "Future World," I do have hope that this new overlay will make it truly fit the land that it's being placed in. Giving us TRON elements without actually doing a character overlay is going to really work if they don't kill it with budget cuts and let the Imagineers have their way with it.

Can't wait to see how much the "designing" of our vehicles actually contribute to the ride experience.

raven

A recent example is of Norway. When funding from Norway ceased, Disney started to run the pavilion bare bones and even removed the Viking ship playground. In reality, that money isn't really needed to operate the pavilion with top-notch quality...

Since Disney took over the sponsorship of the Norway pavilion it has the worst traffic pattern in all of the parks, IMO. Line for Akershus and the bakery practically touch each other, complicated by stroller parking, even more by guests trying to enter the attraction, and worse of all by the forced cattle exit from the ride through the single door out of the shop. The whole entrance area to Norway is one giant clusterf*#@k.

djlaosc

ok...i admit i haven't gone back and reread this entire thread (sorry) but is there a projected date for test track to reopen?

It was originally December 1st - but I don't know whether it is ahead of schedule, or behind (I think, according to those in the know on here, it could be running behind)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom