Test Track refurb???

misterID

I'd be happy with a few AA scenes inspired from WOM. It woud be great if it the entire ride was a throw back to an AA heavy attraction. I expect more screens, though.

Disaddict

I'd be happy with a few AA scenes inspired from WOM. It woud be great if it the entire ride was a throw back to an AA heavy attraction. I expect more screens, though.

We can only hope. I've never really expected to go to EPCOT for thrill rides anyway. I mean, MS and Soarin' don't really qualify as thrill rides (and imho neither did TT even though it tried) but EPCOT was, to me, more about the exploration of our world and technology. Having the ride return to a WoM theme would be perfect. And having more AA than simple video screens would be the way to go. I really hope Disney does go AA heavy instead of going cheap and easy.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
IMO the entire inside could be WOM-like and then have a nice speed run outside...honestly that's the only really thrilling part of the ride anyway.

Scuttle

If this is really a 60 million dollar refurb then we should expect a lot! I'm pretty excited about this refurb. I really like the direction TDO seems to be going recently with the refurbs. I love TT, but if this ride pays tribute to WOM in some way I will welcome this change with open arms.

InsiderImagine

If this is really a 60 million dollar refurb then we should expect a lot! I'm pretty excited about this refurb. I really like the direction TDO seems to be going recently with the refurbs. I love TT, but if this ride pays tribute to WOM in some way I will welcome this change with open arms.

the queue will have some tributes to WOM. it will be similar to the haunted mansion queue...not in the aspect of the option of going through the queue but many "hidden" tributes to original concepts and WOM.

NoChesterHester

the queue will have some tributes to WOM. it will be similar to the haunted mansion queue...not in the aspect of the option of going through the queue but many "hidden" tributes to original concepts and WOM.

You speak like you know... we shall see.

Conceptually, I like it when the queue tells a story. Act one...

misterID

I just hope the bulk of the budget isn't wrapped up in NextGen stuff for the queue.

Scuttle

I just hope the bulk of the budget isn't wrapped up in NextGen stuff for the queue.

Agreed. I don't know how you could spend even a fourth of that budget on a NextGen queue. I mean seriously if it's similar to the HM queue there is no way it's going to be multi millions.

RSoxNo1

We don't know what's changing, but $60 million should be the cost of a solid D-Ticket. If that's truly the budget, we should be expecting an entirely new attraction with just the same track layout.

NoChesterHester

We don't know what's changing, but $60 million should be the cost of a solid D-Ticket. If that's truly the budget, we should be expecting an entirely new attraction with just the same track layout.

The ride system is still awesome. If the 60 million is going toward new story and new scenes this could go a long long way.

Do you think Test Track is currently an E ticket?

AEfx

I think the downside is when you have a ride with no sponsor ... take a look at the Wonders of Life ... Journey into Imagination and the former Horizons. Epcot is a different animal from the Magic Kingdom in this respect.

Which is just a bunch of horse pooey to begin with.

Disney treats it like a different animal, but it's their own choice. They are a multi-billion dollar international corporation, they shouldn't have to pan handle for people to build/upgrade rides for them. It's actually kind of pathetic.

As to the changes, it all sounds great. Test Track is enjoyable, but I don't bother to ride any more unless there is near-0 wait. It's just not enough to get me to care a lot of visits - the dark ride elements have slowly gotten worse/broken/shut-off, and weren't that impressive to begin with in many areas, and I don't get much "thrill" out of driving 65mph in a car - I do that every time I go on the highway. Roll the window down, it's a similar effect.

60M seems like quite a chunk - isn't that about what they spent to bring the subs back to life at DLR? If so, and GM is footing the bill, it will be very interesting to see what some of our tax dollars buy (as they are still 27% owned by us/the government).

Disaddict

Forgive me for asking a stupid question here... I've been going to WDW long enough that I ought to know this answer but why does Disney rely on sponsors for the attractions at EPCOT? They put money into all of their other parks attractions. I don't seem to be able to find a sponsorship for New Fantasyland anywhere.

invader

Forgive me for asking a stupid question here... I've been going to WDW long enough that I ought to know this answer but why does Disney rely on sponsors for the attractions at EPCOT? They put money into all of their other parks attractions. I don't seem to be able to find a sponsorship for New Fantasyland anywhere.

More than likely it's so that they don't have to front the money for refurbishments, operations, etc.

Disaddict

They started with that model in Epcot and it remains to this day. Antiquated? Someone else will have to opine on that.

Hmmm. That's what my wife said she thought about it. If that's the case then I'm a little irritated with Disney for not taking the upper hand in the now defunct attractions and trying to do something to bring them back online with or without a sponsor. What happens if they lose all of their sponsors one day? Will Future World lay like a ghost town?

NewfieFan

Hmmm. That's what my wife said she thought about it. If that's the case then I'm a little irritated with Disney for not taking the upper hand in the now defunct attractions and trying to do something to bring them back online with or without a sponsor. What happens if they lose all of their sponsors one day? Will Future World lay like a ghost town?

I question this as well?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Test Track is indeed going down in April. It was originally January but park operations needs forced a postponement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom