Test Track refurb???

njDizFan

My 2011 Edge gets 19-27 and it weighs almost twice as much as these full size sedans. It was a no brainer for me to go midsize crossover when I bought a new car...more space, same EPA rating... Everyone needs to step up their game on full-size cars. There's no way my SUV should be getting better mileage than an Impala.

Same here with my Toyota Sienna, all the car companies need to step up their game.

WDW1974

As to the first paragraph, I agree that 18 in the city is pretty poor. That said, the highest estimated MPG in the city for a 6 cyl family sedan is the Camry at 21. Accord is 20. On the highway, the Camry, Accord at Impala are all at 30. So the difference, while substantive, isn't much. The issue is the 6 cylinder engine, which provides good power, but poor mileage. Next time, rent a 4 cylinder and you'll get better mileage -- won't be in Impala though, as there is no 4 cyl Impala.

Ah, my car (which still had new car smell and about 500 miles when I got it) averaged 18.4 mpg in mostly freeway (with some city) driving. That is pathetic no matter how you look at it. I don't care about engine size. I care that this is 2011 and gas is $4 a gallon and automakers in Detroit still haven't gotten the fact they need to have cars that get some serious MPG.

I liked the car. Rode well (although it didn't seem to be that powerful). Had lots of kewl features. ... But after 10 days I replaced it with a Nissan because the gas was costing far more than the rental.

FWIW, I have owned nothing but Mercedes and Honda vehicles for the last decade and they all have done considerably better on miles. Both my current vehicles are 4-cylinder (Benz supercharged) and both average about 25 mixed city/highway and 28-32 highway ... and I am not that happy with those numbers, but not in the market to replace them just yet.

But no justifying companies acting like it is 1994.

As the second paragraph -- pithy, but unwarranted.

A day without pith is a day in the pits, I say.:)

alphac2005

Ah, my car (which still had new car smell and about 500 miles when I got it) averaged 18.4 mpg in mostly freeway (with some city) driving. That is pathetic no matter how you look at it. I don't care about engine size. I care that this is 2011 and gas is $4 a gallon and automakers in Detroit still haven't gotten the fact they need to have cars that get some serious MPG.

Just a quick note, I have 2011 Ford that is averaging 33.2 MPG and I have a 2009 Chevrolet that is averaging 18 MPG, which bothers me, however, the vehicle weighs 6400 lbs, so for it's weight, it's doing quite well. Both are majority in-town driving, about 15% highway.

Why this tired argument about domestic mileage is on here? I'm not even sure, but take a look at the vehicle line-ups, the domestics have some darn good MPG for each of their vehicle classes (we're not getting into the fact that all vehicles need to be way better) and their compact and subcompacts are beating all the competition in MPG.

Disaddict

But if the new ride will be just like WoM,I'd like to get a nice view of EPCOT again.
273234334_822de38dce.jpg

I had almost forgotten what that looked like. Now I really wish that this would go back to the WoM style. :sohappy:

RSoxNo1

Keep in mind that every rumor we've heard has the track layout staying exactly the same. That would mean that the outdoor section of World of Motion wouldn't be recreated.

Disaddict

Keep in mind that every rumor we've heard has the track layout staying exactly the same. That would mean that the outdoor section of World of Motion wouldn't be recreated.

I know. That's a shame too. But maybe it will be more of a WoM inside the building and then after a final scene of something like a rocket ship or futuristic car they can launch the ride vehicle out of the building and around the track.

Rob562

Yeah, with the current track layout, the best they could do would be to open up the outside wall where they filled it in, and then remove the semi-transparent wall on the curve between Load and Dispatch. That little curve is the very corner of the former outdoor section:

ttrack008.jpg

-Rob

montyz81

I had almost forgotten what that looked like. Now I really wish that this would go back to the WoM style. :sohappy:
Does anyone ever try to see any remains of the WoM ride system. Everytime I am in the TT que, I look up to see if you can see anything that showed where the hole was or how the ride system hung.

TestTrack

I could go for something a little more "old school". At night especially there was no better view than going up the WoM ramp and seeing SSE lit up.

I do think they need to keep some thrill in the ride...maybe a mix of WoM and test track? Start with a history of the car and then "accelerate" into the future? Dunno but WoM was a fantastic ride that's for sure. Test Track could be a lot better with a few tweaks:

1. Better lighting/sets. Make me feel like I'm on the road instead of a test track. When I first road it it was night time and I felt like I was out on a country road especially during the hairpin turn section because I couldn't see the infrastructure of the building as much. Get rid of the cardboard cutout trees, etc.

2. Fix the less "thrilling" sections. The incline climb is boring....if the speed was faster or higher it'd probably be a bit more effective. The "rough road" is boring and ineffective. I'd rather have them load you onto a "suspension test" similar to what the automotive manufacturer's use that push the suspension to its limits with independent lifts on each wheel. You could really go crazy with this and make it more fun/interesting.

3. The brakes suck....they really do. Especially at the end...nothing tells you you aren't in a real car like typical "rollercoaster brakes".

4. Too many "slow downs". I don't know if its because the distance between cars get too close but I've had a few trips where the car has slowed to a crawl on the outside track and during the hairpin turns. It ruins the ride.

5. Take up the speed a bit on the outdoor section...its fairly effective...but the speeds just don't impress the adults who go faster on a daily basis.

Just my opinion...obviously I like the ride, but it could be made to Epcot's best.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I liked the car. Rode well (although it didn't seem to be that powerful). Had lots of kewl features. ... But after 10 days I replaced it with a Nissan because the gas was costing far more than the rental.

FWIW, I have owned nothing but Mercedes and Honda vehicles for the last decade and they all have done considerably better on miles. Both my current vehicles are 4-cylinder (Benz supercharged) and both average about 25 mixed city/highway and 28-32 highway ... and I am not that happy with those numbers, but not in the market to replace them just yet.

A day without pith is a day in the pits, I say.:)

I own a Ford Fusion Hybrid that drives like a dream and gets 40 or so in the city and 30 on the highway (combined average of 35.1 since I bought it, according to the onboad diagnostics), and a Saturn Outlook SUV that gets around 17 in haul the kids around mode and 25 or so on the freeway.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I could imagineer some new stuff with the existing track layout....I've seen some good Test Track representations on RCT 3 before....hmm....

NoChesterHester

Yeah, with the current track layout, the best they could do would be to open up the outside wall where they filled it in, and then remove the semi-transparent wall on the curve between Load and Dispatch. That little curve is the very corner of the former outdoor section:

ttrack008.jpg

-Rob

I love the plan, thanks for posting.

Pretty depressing that 2/3 of the building is used for that horrible post show. Hopefully that is really addressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom