Test Track refurb???

comics101

Not that I am disagreeing with Raven, but my source who is close to GM is saying a name change is almost a must based on the new direction the story will be taking, and I do know there is a cult following within GM who like the idea of the return to the WOM nameplate. Although I hadnt heard it was a 100% done deal Chevy was going to be the only prescence, it is the right move given the Disney consumer. As long as the budget doesnt get cut (which it shouldnt because I know this has been approved by GM) you should still expect a complete overhaul of the attration, with only the ride path remaining the same. Next gen is a part of the update, but in the overall picture, it is going to be a small part of the total refurb.

Have you heard anything about WOM-elements being added to the attraction?

Scuttle

Have you heard anything about WOM-elements being added to the attraction?

I remember reading somewhere in the forums a long time ago about where all of the old Horizons and WoM show sets are. Does anyone know where all of that stuff is? I thought I heard some of it was auctioned off and some was being kept out in California? I hope TDO uses some of the old WoM show scenes! How great would that be for a nostalgic flashback?

comics101

I remember reading somewhere in the forums a long time ago about where all of the old Horizons and WoM show sets are. Does anyone know where all of that stuff is? I thought I heard some of it was auctioned off and some was being kept out in California? I hope TDO uses some of the old WoM show scenes! How great would that be for a nostalgic flashback?

I know awhile back you could see the skin and of many of the WOM animatronics in the queue of the Backlot Tour at DHS...I think that stuff is still there. Some of the Horizons props were taken to WDS in Paris for the Backlot Tour there too. I'm not sure about actual sets though.

I was asking about the WOM elements bc of a post I read on Micechat recently .At first I was excited, but I seem to remember the new SSE descent was to include Horizons-esque elements...we all know how that turned out :rolleyes:

aladdin2007

I know awhile back you could see the skin and of many of the WOM animatronics in the queue of the Backlot Tour at DHS...I think that stuff is still there. Some of the Horizons props were taken to WDS in Paris for the Backlot Tour there too. I'm not sure about actuall sets though.

I was asking about the WOM elements bc of a post I read on Micechat recently .At first I was excited, but I seem to remember the new SSE descent was to include Horizons-esque elements...we all know how that turned out :rolleyes:

Yes we sure do, sadly, :hurl:

SMRT-1

since you opened that can of worms.. i'm sure someone can go into detail on what we could have expected with the SSE descent?

aladdin2007

since you opened that can of worms.. i'm sure someone can go into detail on what we could have expected with the SSE descent?

There were suppose to be a couple of new physical scenes I believe where the pepper ghosts/future city was, and the currently turned off triangular panels would have exploded into a burst of energy, representing the genesis of the next great idea.

HMF

There may be nods and homages but I highly doubt they will actually fully re-create scenes from WoM, Especially not in the context.

HMF

Anything except what actually happened. SSE 07 was one of the biggest letdowns in Disney history. They got us excited by removing the wand and talking about how they were going to update everything and it re-opens The rides soul is essentially torn out with narration that insults your intelligence and an ending that resembles an E-Surance commercial.

misterID

There may be nods and homages but I highly doubt they will actually fully re-create scenes from WoM, Especially not in the context.

I agree here. But it would be cool to drive past that "first traffic jam" and the 50's motorcycle cop hiding behind the sign.

RSoxNo1

Anything except what actually happened. SSE 07 was one of the biggest letdowns in Disney history. They got us excited by removing the wand and talking about how they were going to update everything and it re-opens The rides soul is essentially torn out with narration that insults your intelligence and an ending that resembles an E-Surance commercial.

This is an honest question: Have you enjoyed anything Disney has done in Disney world in the last 10 years? It seems that every change is the most catastrophic affront to Disney fans in your mind. I understand holding Disney to a high standard but it seems like you take any changes to the parks as an attack on you personally.

There were many positives in the refurbished Spaceship Earth, most notably the actual show scenes on the ascent. The obvious weak points are the script and the cartoonized descent. When everything is factored in together I enjoyed the Jeremy Irons version better than the current incarnation, but I also recognize that the things that I like about this version are the more complex things (better animatronics). This leads me to believe that while changes haven't happened yet, the possibility exists that a smaller follow up refurbishment could address some of these issues.

Comparatively I know you have voiced your opinion of the queue additions to The Haunted Mansion. If I recall you were equally as dramatic with regards to this change as well. While the poetry book may be a bit much - everything else seems to work. That being said, if you don't like it - you have the option to bypass that queue.

mgf

Sorry for linking to an external site, but I think this has some relevance to why Test Track might be getting a re-branding:

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...a-part-of-legoland-driving-school-attraction/

Granted, I do not think Disney faces a serious threat from Legoland but GM might be concerned about Ford's presence, particularly this:

“Ford is excited to support the alliance between Legoland Florida and the Southeast Ford dealers. The Legoland Florida Explorer and the Ford Driving School attraction are great opportunities to showcase our products and safety messages to families and visitors in a unique way,” said Tracy Magee, Ford experiential marketing manager.

Perhaps GM thinks it is time to tone down the "let's break the test car" vibe and play up the legacy and safety of the Chevy brand.

misterID

I think I might be more excited about this than Avatarland. But I'll probably be disappointed, so Avatarland will be nice to have waiting in the wings. ;)

AWESOME! I'd always wished/hoped that BMW would sponsor it, it's a ton of publicity for the dollar.

Looks like I will be taking my last victory laps in December before it closes for the refurbishment!

Here are some pics I came across of the new body.

dsc04368ig.jpg

dsc04367tn.jpg

dsc04366gf.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom