Test Track refurb???

td1129

Glowing review of TT2.0

"The new Test Track is better than New Fantasyland. It’s better even than World of Motion. I’d go so far as to say that it would be a coin toss if I wanted Test Track 2.0 or Cars Land if given the option to have just one. Test Track is THAT good of a fit for Future World.

In fact, looking back at recent WDW history, I’m hard pressed to say when another attraction exceeded my expectations quite this much. Toy Story Mania? Maybe, but it’s so small in comparison. Everest? It’s so dilapidated, and not in a good way. Frankly, we might have to go all the way back to 1994 to find a similar watershed, in the form of Tower of Terror. This is the best ride at WDW since Tower of Terror."

http://micechat.com/17310-test-track-epcot/

This is almost verbatim what he said about star tours 2, is it not?

WDWFigment

I've avoided watching video or looking at photos of Test Track 2.0 (but I have heard similarly glowing reviews from people I trust), but there is no possible scenario I can envision that would make Test Track better than Cars Land.

...Unless they built an additional "story" on top of the old World of Motion building and added some amazing rockwork, a fully dimensional land, and some incredible other stores and other places to explore. In which case it wouldn't exactly "fit" Future World.

I'll buy that it's better than FLE, but not Cars Land.

WDW1974

I haven't read Kevin's review, but I also don't care to read reviews much until I experience something (and I will be shortly). But Kevin has seemed to be going soft on the Mouse of late ... I mean when structures are crumbling and Disney is about to totally change the way guests experience WDW (not for the better, not for the cheaper), I'm not sure my focus (not that I have a column) would be on Test Track 2.0.

That said, I spoke with a friend who I greatly respect last night and he had been on it 15 times in the last few days. He kept spoilers out for me, but said it certainly is much better than TT 1.0 ... but that's it's no RSRs (and, of course, no JTTCoTE). It's a Tron dark ride with some kewl effects and lighting, computers that are still based in 1997 and don't always work right and suddenly a loop outside that in no way fits or has a transition from what's basically been a dark ride.

I'm glad Kevin is enjoying the new WDW more than many of us.

Scuttle

TT 2.0 reviews are getting a little out of control here guys. I rode yesterday and was totally into it until the outside portion, something has to be done with that part of the track. It worked on TT 1.0 because it fit into the theming of being a test track, but it does NOT work on TT 2.0. The climax of this ride is horrible now IMO. Everything about this attraction is amazing until the ride finale. To me, if the outside portion was covered and themed to the rest of the attraction I'd say it' s a home run.

djkidkaz

To each person their own. I really do not like the new Test Track at all and ive ridden it a couple times now. So maybe in his eyes it IS better than Cars Land. Just as for me I'd take Cars Land over Test Track any day.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
TT 2.0 reviews are getting a little out of control here guys. I rode yesterday and was totally into it until the outside portion, something has to be done with that part of the track. It worked on TT 1.0 because it fit into the theming of being a test track, but it does NOT work on TT 2.0. The climax of this ride is horrible now IMO. Everything about this attraction is amazing until the ride finale. To me, if the outside portion was covered and themed to the rest of the attraction I'd say it' s a home run.

I am with those who have not read reviews, watched videos, or photographs of the new TT. Without knowing the theme I cannot say how I feel on the outside portion. IMO if it is as you said then a tunnel enclosing the outdoor portion sounds as if it is needed badly.

fractal

Hey, I'm just happy to be excited about a new "experience" next time I'm at the World. Actually, this would make it two.

td1129

I haven't read Kevin's review, but I also don't care to read reviews much until I experience something (and I will be shortly). But Kevin has seemed to be going soft on the Mouse of late ... I mean when structures are crumbling and Disney is about to totally change the way guests experience WDW (not for the better, not for the cheaper), I'm not sure my focus (not that I have a column) would be on Test Track 2.0.

That said, I spoke with a friend who I greatly respect last night and he had been on it 15 times in the last few days. He kept spoilers out for me, but said it certainly is much better than TT 1.0 ... but that's it's no RSRs (and, of course, no JTTCoTE). It's a Tron dark ride with some kewl effects and lighting, computers that are still based in 1997 and don't always work right and suddenly a loop outside that in no way fits or has a transition from what's basically been a dark ride.

I'm glad Kevin is enjoying the new WDW more than many of us.

Yeah you're right, he should have just ignored the opening of a major attraction and done another column on the yeti instead. You clearly understand these things.

Animaniac93-98

IMO alot of these concerns (outside of the tunnel debate), could be solved with a better script that helps tie in everything together more clearly. On-board music would also help, but the core thinking behind the re-do is very solid and from here the ride can really benefit from future adjustment/changes.

The old TT may have had the details right, but it never sold the idea that queuing and riding through a warehouse was a grand or visually dynamic idea. It was a part of that late 90s/early 2000s period of WDI that thought accuracy in theming could save poor theming concepts (ride through a warehouse, visit an intentionally tacky carnival, see a real-life half built studio set, etc.). I'm glad we're moving away from that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't get the complaints about seeing other cars in the old attraction. What did that take away from? Did you think you were the only test car or something?

The Empress Lilly

When FL opened Kevin Yee called it on par with DisneySea. When TT2 openes Yee calls that better than FL in return. So better than TDS then? And, in his own words, better than Cars Land?

I think Yee types these review columns while still on a high. I too get euphoric from the best Disney experiences. Certainly when it involves something new. But it might be better to wait for the morning after before submitting a review. Let the adrenaline wear off a bit, give sober reflection time to take over. TT2 is awesome, but not even without flaws. Bullseye more than out of the ballpark.

Captain Neo

Regardless it is a big improvement from the old "driving around in an empty warehouse" test track. That goes for the queue/ride/post show. It is a FAR CRY from Carsland, Journey to the center of the earth, etc. but it's a small step up from the crap Disney has been serving at Epcot for some time now so i'll give them some points for that fair and square.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I completely disagree with Kevin's opinion. I think the ride has been totally ruined. Everything up to the second ABS test feels like you're just being whipped around in the dark. The first and third efficiency test rooms have been completely stripped of detail. And the lack of changes to the high-speed loop climax just feels like a cop-out. The whole premise was that we're on a digital SimTrack, but then we get spit out into the real world for the last test. I get that we need to come out of cyberspace at some point (it's clear that we enter the digital world on the first ascent), but it is jarring and incongruous to make the transition out of the digital track where they placed it. I just don't think the premise of the new ride fits with the old ride system. Test Track 1.0 was, in my opinion, one of WDW's best; the updated version doesn't even come close to measuring up. What a disappointment.

Is this going by ACTUALLY being on it, or watching the video?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom