Test Track refurb???

invader

To me, viewing the videos, it represents the 21st century moreso than TT1. Everything use to be tangible, and real world. We are transitioning into a state that everything is graphic and cyber. Props to both WDI and GM for such an awesome update.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't help thinking that this is Stage 2 in the "interactive queues" that they are introducing, in preperation for when the lines get longer with the introduction of FP+.

I think it's neat.. I think it could have been tied to the attraction differently (imagine if you were able to do a digital replay of your onboard ride video.. but it was altered by your design choices..). I'm not pooh'ing on the whole design part - it sounds like it will be fun. I just worry their implementation has actually hurt the 'value' of the ride system itself in terms of what people get out of the ride itself.. vs the other elements of the attraction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I get what you're saying, but the track still makes sense with the new scenes. Except maybe at the hill climb and rough road section.

The POV videos aren't really showing it, but there are screens before and after each test section, before showing what you'll be doing, and after showing how your custom vehicles ranked in that section.

Yes, I see that, where the video from the test people used to be. Unsure if that's been working yet or not.

ABS Off = the sim car automatically brakes to avoid the digital avalanche.
ABS On = the sim car automatically swerves to avoid the lightning strike

'Swerves to avoid the lightning strike.. that alone makes you chuckle. Can anyone read that with a straight face? :)

I know they tried to make it work.. but those seem weaker than the previous ones. To me the Indy vs dinosaur analogy rings true. indy gives you far more 'reason' behind your EMV's movements that you can tie in visually into your senses. It just 'makes more sense' to the rider without thinking about it. Dinosaur basically just throws you around in the dark, and uses loud noise and an audio track to justify the EMV's movements. It doesn't work nearly as well. Even tho Dinosaur has the same capabilities - its no where near as impactful. I worry the same loss will happen to TT's ride system in the eyes of the guest. It gets lost because of the poor stimulus continuity. I guess time will tell.. and we see what resonates with guests.

t3techcom18

Nope. Still the same yellow former Test Track logo from before.

AWKWARD. Bwahaha...

I wonder if there's generic Fastpass paper for Epcot that we don't know about.
There sort of is, just not for Epcot but all 4 parks in general. Some re-entry passes at particular attractions (given out in case of a downtime) have the FP logo up top if they offer more than one location for FP usage. Another example is VIP FP's, who get a special FP but again, has the generic FP logo up top. More than anything, it's so the Ops CM's know it's official and not counterfeit.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then the same then can be said about Mission: Space where you supposedly get a "job" to control things in the cabin, but in reality, you're not controlling anything. For those who love the concept of Mission: Space, does that stop them from going on it again and again? Most likely, no. Mission: Space might have light attendance many days, but that's more due to the fact that physical issues impair people from actually going on it or liking the idea.

That's very true about M:S. But I think it's less of an issue there for a few reasons
1 - your lack of activity/interaction doesn't mess with the sensory integration between the ride system and the visuals. The two are still very tightly integrated. Here, the fault is they are less integrated making the ride movements seem less intentional
2 - when you realize the activity doesn't matter - all that means is which 'role' you get assigned doesn't matter. Your 'come to jesus' realization is 'relax, which position doesn't matter' and you still enjoy the show. Your 'release' is just which position vs. test track which will be the several minutes wasted on design.
3 - when you 'skip' the roles in M:S, the only thing you gloss over is the buttons in the vehicle. In Test Track, you 'lose' the investment in the design studio, the inride screens for results, and significant portions of the post-show.

It boils down to.. M:S relies less on that gimmick that ultimately, doesn't matter if the person does it or not.. where TT2 is far more predicated on that gimmick.

M:S could have avoided that gap by maybe adding some conditional audio ques and effects. Like if someone didn't react to the buttons, they could have thrown in an audio que like 'the emergency safety system has kicked in!!' or something. I see the M:S stuff as more 'playing along' and while you have no risk of 'crashing' if no one does it... I like they went to that level at least to offer more than just a molded control panel that you can't interact with at all. (like the insides of Star Tours, BTTF, TT, etc).

Again, it's subjective and I think we have a little too much fanboi over-analysis as to repeatability of Test Track 2.0.

Sorry - but to some of us.. the aspects of actual theme park design and operation, and not just 'whats your favorite resturant??' are interesting discussions. Your dismissal of 'over-analysis' is actually just part of the discussion of what the ride's design and format are. It's not just all 'reviews' and 'trip reports'... else head to DIS. Discussing the ride's merits isn't about trying to dominate people's opinions of the results - but focusing on the choices and business of theme park design.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I keep explaining why but people keep mentioning it...you CANNOT enclose the outdoor portion of the track and keep the existing infrastructure as is.

While I'm not saying they HAD to - some of your reasons why they COULDN'T just don't hold up.

First, and most importantly, you would go deaf. If someone doesn't believe me, watch an on-ride video of RSR and listen to how loud it is when you go underneath the 'cave' where the on-ride camera is. If it's THAT loud and you're only there for, say, 1-3 seconds, imagine how it would be for a minute and a half.

This is a function of space and surfaces - would be a challenge certainly - but not insurmountable.

Secondly, it's a matter of physics. What happens to skyscrapers and bridges that are high in the air? They are allowed to sway due to the elements and the constant shift in weight and movement the buildings have. If skyscrapers were built as completely standing still, a rainstorm would pass by and probably topple the building. Same exact reasoning goes for TT. If you put that on top of the existing infrasture, it would create additional weight. It's just not feasible.

When we are talking about wind loads and building sway.. that's not really a factor for buildings that are only 3-5 stories tall like Test Track's area is. You can't talk about skyscrapers and your local office park building interchangeably. And you do build stuff as rigid structures for smaller buildings. And an enclosure wouldn't have to be 'on top of the existing infrastructure' one could build around the existing stuff to - leaving the structures floating between each other.

Thirdly, think about it: you're going 65 mph. What could you create that's extremely noticeable or noteworthy when you're blazing by at 65 mph?: Nothing.

Oh ye have little faith. Do never look out the windows of your car in tunnels or while driving on the road? And then there is technology like this..

Lastly, I can imagine a lot of folks would say, "Well, they can just enclose the entire outside track by extending the building." True, but it's not possible at all. It's arguably the biggest artery when it comes to CM traffic flow to and from backstage (especially for those CM's in FW) and it's extremely important for service vehicles and the like during third shift. There's NO way they can do that at all without some major infrastructure changes.

It wouldn't cost but a few parking spaces to make the service roads connect east of Test Track instead of being able to go under it. Connect Ave of the Stars to the east of the steel shed building where the parking lot is now and you wouldn't have to worry about going under TT. Honestly, the addition of the track itself to start with must have been far more an impact to these areas than what you are talking about now.. and they made that work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually, M:S does have those audio cues if I remember correctly.

I wasn't sure so I couldn't say :) But if they do.. that's even better. The fact the mission doesn't fail because someone didn't complete their task doesn't bother me. There are limits to what you can do with shared ride vehicles.

HTF

Soft openings, I rode it at 7:00pm tonight.

It's a very good attraction and it fits into future world better than TT 1.0, but I have to say when it comes to theming TT 1.0 was far superior. But trust me this version is awesome and I'm not knocking it in any way.

Thank You

spacemountain89

a few questions from a CM that id like answered here, is the epcot or just test track closing on the 6th at around 3 for a big press event? and at this is one republic or one direction playing? bc ive herd both answeres.
Mission Space, TT, and Universe of Energy will be closed is the word

t3techcom18

When we are talking about wind loads and building sway.. that's not really a factor for buildings that are only 3-5 stories tall like Test Track's area is. You can't talk about skyscrapers and your local office park building interchangeably. And you do build stuff as rigid structures for smaller buildings. And an enclosure wouldn't have to be 'on top of the existing infrastructure' one could build around the existing stuff to - leaving the structures floating between each other.

This is true, but, if anything I used the wrong example. Roller coaster supports would be a much better and more appropos example. TT, as you can see by the pictures at the entrance, has a 3 pylon support structure (for the most part) on the exterior track connected to a support foundation. If you've ever notice the track when a car whizzes by, it moves ever so slightly. I was using the analogy of a skyscraper in terms of wind/building shifts. If it stayed in the same place completely rooted in and unable to move, the track (and building) would sustain damage. By allowing it to move, it not only can adjust itself to the elements but also rapid movement the cars produce.

Oh ye have little faith. Do never look out the windows of your car in tunnels or while driving on the road? And then there is technology like this..

That is indeed very cool looking but, as the video shows, it's much more effective as a random piece of marketing than an effect for an attraction. It would be great to see that kind of tech on an omnimover but not on such a fast moving attraction such as TT. Why do see static objects on RNRC? Even then, can you look at those objects floating around clearly? You are zooming around at a speed where your eyes and your mind will only focus on one thing and, more importantly, your vision will be distorted. Rides like Space Mountain CAN get away with that because, while it's moving, it's not moving fast enough that if you look at it everything will be distorted. Same reason goes for TT 1.0: you had road signs along the exterior track but if you blinked you'd miss them. As you well know, in all attractions (especially omnimovers), it's made for you to look at one side of the room and one side of the room only. If you did that to TT, you wouldn't know where to look (and probably making guests queasy in the process).

It wouldn't cost but a few parking spaces to make the service roads connect east of Test Track instead of being able to go under it. Connect Ave of the Stars to the east of the steel shed building where the parking lot is now and you wouldn't have to worry about going under TT. Honestly, the addition of the track itself to start with must have been far more an impact to these areas than what you are talking about now.. and they made that work.

To make a very long story short, there's no other gate that is THAT easily accessible to and from backstage that close to the service vehicle entrance for the whole park. The backstage gate next to TT is the only gate that a car can fit through on the East side of FW.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ok, I rode this attraction TWICE today (soft opening).

First, I think this is a VAAAAAST improvement over TT 1.0.

Everything about this ride screams high-tech, futuristic, and organized. This attraction is IMO what people meant by having NEW attractions that replaced old ones, but kept the same philosophy as the original EPCOT Center.

I also want to say, DO NOT judge this attraction based solely on the ride itself...its a much more complete experience because the car you design goes through all of the stages from pre-show, to the ride, to the post show. Someone asked why the car doesn't "look" like the one you created in the ride...its obvious, there's 6 people to a car, they couldn't possibly show up to 6 different car designs per vehicle, but you DO see your scores and how they rank against each other for each section (although it was only working part of the time).

Once you are finished with the ride, there's other things you can do with your design, you can go on a virtual racetrack with it, create your own TV commercial, etc..

Anyway, TT 1.0 was ok as it suited a purpose as a decent thrill ride, but I never liked the queue AT ALL, it was loud, busy, obnoxious and the ride itself was too industrial...it never made me want to consider buying any GM vehicle.

TT 2.0 is MUCH MUCH different. It is very calming because it isn't cluttered, everything is relatively minimalist, and has cool hues for everything. This ride is IMO a much more convincing way of "selling" Chevrolet as a car brand.

Yes, there are some issues with being really familiar with the old version as we will inevitably make comparisons saying "this used to be this and this is the same but neon, etc", but first time guests I think will be blown away by it.

Tom Morrow

That's very true about M:S. But I think it's less of an issue there for a few reasons
1 - your lack of activity/interaction doesn't mess with the sensory integration between the ride system and the visuals. The two are still very tightly integrated. Here, the fault is they are less integrated making the ride movements seem less intentional
2 - when you realize the activity doesn't matter - all that means is which 'role' you get assigned doesn't matter. Your 'come to jesus' realization is 'relax, which position doesn't matter' and you still enjoy the show. Your 'release' is just which position vs. test track which will be the several minutes wasted on design.
3 - when you 'skip' the roles in M:S, the only thing you gloss over is the buttons in the vehicle. In Test Track, you 'lose' the investment in the design studio, the inride screens for results, and significant portions of the post-show.

It boils down to.. M:S relies less on that gimmick that ultimately, doesn't matter if the person does it or not.. where TT2 is far more predicated on that gimmick.
Excellent points about TT2.0 and interactivity though. I get what they were going for and can appreciate the idea, but I sort of feel like this might be a bit of a miss with the public and will need some re-tooling. But I guess we'll see.

I wasn't sure so I couldn't say :) But if they do.. that's even better. The fact the mission doesn't fail because someone didn't complete their task doesn't bother me. There are limits to what you can do with shared ride vehicles.

The female computer voice will say "Computer override!" and the panel will light up red buttons that say "OVERRIDE" instead of the green "ACTIVATED" (or whatever the green buttons say) ones.

misterID

Ok, I rode this attraction TWICE today (soft opening).

First, I think this is a VAAAAAST improvement over TT 1.0.

Everything about this ride screams high-tech, futuristic, and organized. This attraction is IMO what people meant by having NEW attractions that replaced old ones, but kept the same philosophy as the original EPCOT Center.

I also want to say, DO NOT judge this attraction based solely on the ride itself...its a much more complete experience because the car you design goes through all of the stages from pre-show, to the ride, to the post show. Someone asked why the car doesn't "look" like the one you created in the ride...its obvious, there's 6 people to a car, they couldn't possibly show up to 6 different car designs per vehicle, but you DO see your scores and how they rank against each other for each section (although it was only working part of the time).

Once you are finished with the ride, there's other things you can do with your design, you can go on a virtual racetrack with it, create your own TV commercial, etc..

Anyway, TT 1.0 was ok as it suited a purpose as a decent thrill ride, but I never liked the queue AT ALL, it was loud, busy, obnoxious and the ride itself was too industrial...it never made me want to consider buying any GM vehicle.

TT 2.0 is MUCH MUCH different. It is very calming because it isn't cluttered, everything is relatively minimalist, and has cool hues for everything. This ride is IMO a much more convincing way of "selling" Chevrolet as a car brand.

Yes, there are some issues with being really familiar with the old version as we will inevitably make comparisons saying "this used to be this and this is the same but neon, etc", but first time guests I think will be blown away by it.

Yeah, I'll reserve judgement until I ride it, but from the video it did remind me of old EPCOT; the future city and lightning bolt (yeah, I know) in the dark room, but once you come back inside it looks pretty meh. But it looks better.

Exomonia

About it being too loud for a tunnel to be placed on the outside loop-- I do not believe this would be an issue.
Look up tower of terror 2 dreamworld (it's an Australian ride that reaches speeds much greater than Test Track!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom