Test Track refurb???

Horizonsfan

An above ground tunnel would work with additional supports obviously. And Journey to the Center of the Earth is almost all indoors during it's fast portion, and it doesn't seem to make riders death. I think just enclosing the backstage part would suffice. The indoor straight aways could have light projections going toward you to make it seem faster, like the end of Space Mountain.

To add to this, RSR-like noise reverberation could easily be solved with proper sound engineering, problem is that costs extra $$$.

RSoxNo1

I keep explaining why but people keep mentioning it...you CANNOT enclose the outdoor portion of the track and keep the existing infrastructure as is.

First, and most importantly, you would go deaf. If someone doesn't believe me, watch an on-ride video of RSR and listen to how loud it is when you go underneath the 'cave' where the on-ride camera is. If it's THAT loud and you're only there for, say, 1-3 seconds, imagine how it would be for a minute and a half.

Secondly, it's a matter of physics. What happens to skyscrapers and bridges that are high in the air? They are allowed to sway due to the elements and the constant shift in weight and movement the buildings have. If skyscrapers were built as completely standing still, a rainstorm would pass by and probably topple the building. Same exact reasoning goes for TT. If you put that on top of the existing infrasture, it would create additional weight. It's just not feasible.

Thirdly, think about it: you're going 65 mph. What could you create that's extremely noticeable or noteworthy when you're blazing by at 65 mph?: Nothing.

Lastly, I can imagine a lot of folks would say, "Well, they can just enclose the entire outside track by extending the building." True, but it's not possible at all. It's arguably the biggest artery when it comes to CM traffic flow to and from backstage (especially for those CM's in FW) and it's extremely important for service vehicles and the like during third shift. There's NO way they can do that at all without some major infrastructure changes.

Definitely agree about Universal kicking WDW though. As a friend of mine told me once...Before, Disney (in general) was the top dog, respected by every other company and the ones who held the bar for excellence. Now, companies look at them as the laughing stock in terms of technological advancement and other issues.
Thanks for the information, by no means am I an engineer or at all familiar with this aspect of the track. I'm just remarking what the complaints have been.

Tom Morrow

I keep explaining why but people keep mentioning it...you CANNOT enclose the outdoor portion of the track and keep the existing infrastructure as is.

First, and most importantly, you would go deaf. If someone doesn't believe me, watch an on-ride video of RSR and listen to how loud it is when you go underneath the 'cave' where the on-ride camera is. If it's THAT loud and you're only there for, say, 1-3 seconds, imagine how it would be for a minute and a half.

Secondly, it's a matter of physics. What happens to skyscrapers and bridges that are high in the air? They are allowed to sway due to the elements and the constant shift in weight and movement the buildings have. If skyscrapers were built as completely standing still, a rainstorm would pass by and probably topple the building. Same exact reasoning goes for TT. If you put that on top of the existing infrasture, it would create additional weight. It's just not feasible.

Thirdly, think about it: you're going 65 mph. What could you create that's extremely noticeable or noteworthy when you're blazing by at 65 mph?: Nothing.

Lastly, I can imagine a lot of folks would say, "Well, they can just enclose the entire outside track by extending the building." True, but it's not possible at all. It's arguably the biggest artery when it comes to CM traffic flow to and from backstage (especially for those CM's in FW) and it's extremely important for service vehicles and the like during third shift. There's NO way they can do that at all without some major infrastructure changes.

Definitely agree about Universal kicking WDW though. As a friend of mine told me once...Before, Disney (in general) was the top dog, respected by every other company and the ones who held the bar for excellence. Now, companies look at them as the laughing stock in terms of technological advancement and other issues.
The artery analogy is definitely true. They couldn't put a building structure around the straightaway portion as, and I don't think a lot of people realize, it literally goes over the backstage access road for Epcot. (In fact, if you look to the sides, you may see busses and service vehicles passing under you!)

I think we can all agree that something should have been done besides painting the yellow stripes purple. Some cosmetic additions, onboard music, etc.

Thrill Seeker

Question, since the ride is soft open to all, are the walls down or do you have to go through the side of the walls like we did for the CM with Guests preview?

Tom Morrow

Just to confirm, each person can design their own car correct? Also, any photos on whether or not they changed the Fastpass paper?
Yes, or you can team up to 3 per design station. Small kids will probably need help from their parents designing. I'm still not sure how the Fastpass and Single Rider lines will work.

I just thought of something that confuses me about the design process - you basically know how your car will perform on the tests as you design it based on the numbers given. I felt like it kills the element of needing to upload your vehicle to test it.

t3techcom18

Question, since the ride is soft open to all, are the walls down or do you have to go through the side of the walls like we did for the CM with Guests preview?

Walls are finally down (I think, just going from what I heard thus far).

Just to confirm, each person can design their own car correct? Also, any photos on whether or not they changed the Fastpass paper?

Yes and I'd definitely like to think they changed the FP paper. They definitely changed the look of the FP machines so I would believe so...BUT...I am warning you all right now....
Don't be surprised if there's a lot of issues with FP/the wait time signs. It might be like that for a while...

I think we can all agree that something should have been done besides painting the yellow stripes purple. Some cosmetic additions, onboard music, etc.
Most definitely. I think adding a few of the rings you find inside on the exterior track with a few audio cues would be perfect and cheap solution that could literally be done overnight.

djlaosc

BUT...I am warning you all right now....
Don't be surprised if there's a lot of issues with FP/the wait time signs. It might be like that for a while...

Do you know if the wait time will go from when you enter the queue till you get to the design area, or from when you enter the queue till you reach your car?

Horizonsfan

The artery analogy is definitely true. They couldn't put a building structure around the straightaway portion as, and I don't think a lot of people realize, it literally goes over the backstage access road for Epcot. (In fact, if you look to the sides, you may see busses and service vehicles passing under you!)

Again, they could build a surrounding structure that bridges the road via trusses, however the cost would be huge. It's a guarantee it would be a non-starter with TDO. The only way I could see TDO agreeing to bridge that roadway, is to build just a large covered (blacked out) bridge devoid of any effects.

I'm not saying covering that section is necessary, just saying it's not impossible to enclose that space.

Agreed. ;)

Most definitely. I think adding a few of the rings you find inside on the exterior track with a few audio cues would be perfect and cheap solution that could literally be done overnight.

Great (and somewhat obvious) suggestion. Can't believe they didn't do this.

SirLink

Yes...for the theme park goers...but if the turnstiles don't change due to lack of technology and cutting edge attractions, then what is their "motivation" to change?

The only thing that will motivate them is that if the turnstiles slow down at Disney and they speed up at Universal. When substantial money is leaving WDW and substantial money is arriving at UNI...you will see major changes.

Nope the only things that motivates Disney is average spend per guest - which is why you have Iger out in the wild talking to shareholders - that WWOHP has had an impact. Add to the fact the only reason why average guest spending is on the rise (at Universal) is because of a highly detailed area - with a technological advanced ride and unique merchandise only available in the that section of the parks.

Look at Disney reopen Test Track could of put in a RideMakerz type experience where you build your SimCar as an RC car? Nope let us stick Cars merchandise ... and they are wondering why people don't want to buy the Toys R Us products with a 30% mark up because your in the most MAGICal place on Earth!

P.S. Its never been about attendance - always has been always will be about average spend per guest(ASG)

celluloid

Thank you SirLink. People always seem to forget to point that out. Disney sitll draws the masses in as a whole even if there is a slip here and there but there is a reason New Fantasyland is half a Resturant and all Princess Movie heavy. The spending. Universal's Guest Spending is so much more considering how fewer people go. The parks don't make their profits off of the required admissions that people pay at the gates. The real profits come from food and merchandise.

misterID

Bob Iger has publicly acknowledged Universal's success as of late on a few occasions. They have noticed and I am sure most moves you have seen as of late are positioning themselves to build long term (Star Wars, Marvel, etc).

And those franchises don't seem to have anything to do with their parks. The films and merch are the only things they care about.

RSoxNo1

Yes and I'd definitely like to think they changed the FP paper. They definitely changed the look of the FP machines so I would believe so...BUT...I am warning you all right now....
I wonder if there's generic Fastpass paper for Epcot that we don't know about.

ebof1023

a few questions from a CM that id like answered here, is the epcot or just test track closing on the 6th at around 3 for a big press event? and at this is one republic or one direction playing? bc ive herd both answeres.

RAXIP

a few questions from a CM that id like answered here, is the epcot or just test track closing on the 6th at around 3 for a big press event? and at this is one republic or one direction playing? bc ive herd both answeres.

Future World East will be closing at 3pm (Test Track, Mission: Space and Universe of Energy)

c-one

I wonder if they ever considered abandoning the name "Test Track" for this new attraction, seeing as how it's not one.
They might have been stuck with the ride building of the old attraction, but did they have to keep the name?
It's kind of an odd transition that TT2.0 has had... it's vastly more indepth than your average rehab, but is it enough to consider it a new attraction? I'd say not quite; maybe Test Track plus a subtitle, or Test Track 2.0 (officially) would have been more appropriate.

LorangeJuice

One thing I forgot to pay attention to - are there still cars on display below the outside loop?

That is a great question! It doesn't look like it from this POV video. You can see the area for a split second or two as they approach the turn.

WARNING: You might want to turn your speakers down for the entire outside portion o_O

wedenterprises

Obvious question of the day: if you design your car and take it to the Sim Track, shouldn't the attraction be called "Sim Track"?

Also some other thoughts: if you can't enclose the exterior then add on board music, at least. Another solution could be your car "exiting the sim track" and becoming a real car. The power/barrier test could be your car blasting out of a car dealership and onto a highway. Then set pieces outside could be mountains, trees, rock work, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom