Test Track refurb???

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just watched the video, and it looks nice, but it also looks like you will be bored if there is a l.ong line, not much to look at except blue and silver walls. The design concept is a great idea, but remember it is for groups of three, so what happens when there is just two of you, and when kids/adults/Brazillians want to create their own vehicle, who is going to monitor that? I like the futuristic aspect, but somehow it gets lost in the ride with just neon lights and tv screens, where as TT1 had some show to it and a good story. It may not have been well maintained, but proved its point in the end. Still the same ride, more next gen, more future world, but less involved(road block test, hills, chambers, even leaving the building onto the track) just not enough explanation and build up in my opinion, but that may change on my next trip.

The design kiosks accommodate up to 3 guests, but if you are a couple, there will just be the two of you at the kiosk. Alternatively, you can both design your own car, in which case you would each have your own kiosk.

huntzilla

This is a serious question - was "The Haunted Mansion" refurb in 2007 the last refurb that most people can agree was good?
  • Space Mountain - NO
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover - NO
  • Spaceship Earth - NO
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - NO
  • Country Bear Jamboree - NO
Do Star Tours 3D (YES) and Test Track 2.0 (NO) count as refurbs or "new" rides?

That sounds pretty spot on. It's really difficult to call TT2 a new ride because it simply alters the theming rather then doing something completely new. ST2 would be a new ride because that was a true reinvention of everything about the flat reaction.

As for refurbs, you can throw in the various Splash Mountain refurbs over that years that have literally done NOTHING, and closed just for the sake of closing.

aladdin2007

I skimmed through the video. DId I just see the city from the end of World of Motion back in the ride?

You saw a brand new future city, probably somewhat of a reference to the original, and maybe even to the one from SE, as its been very missed from both. This one reminds me more of SE. than World of Motions.

dweezil78

Looks really nice. Lots of cool eye-candy during the ride, a big improvement on the lifeless, open warehouse look. Not at all sad to see the environmental test rooms gone -- they were so fake and hokey anyways.

The problem with Test Track, which was evident in its first round and this one, is that the ride just isn't a thrilling thrill ride nor is it an immersive dark ride (a problem which Radiator Springs solves so well that the quick thrill is just gravy on top). Test Track tries to be a jack of all trades, and is a master of none. I think short of a complete re-do with installation of elaborate show scenes ala WOM or a complete retool of the track work w/ high speeds and banked turns throughout, they probably did the best they could have with this refurb.

At least 2.0 seems like a far more complete experience, tying in well with the pre/post shows.

And hey, there's still more to look at on-ride then there is on Space Mountain! ;)

RSoxNo1

Not at all, but why can't we just acknowledge and celebrate that they've been knocking things out of the park, without injecting needless negativity? I swear there is no such thing as good news on wdwmagic. Even when something is awesome it will bet pummeled with disco jokes.
What happens is that bad news is more interesting. Think of a trip to a restaurant, the rule of thumb is that if you like something you tell 2 people, if you hate something you tell 10.

Unfortunately it creates a bunch of noise and people don't always know what to listen to.

Let's look at the major projects that have happened recently:

• Star Tours: By all accounts it was fantastic. The ride itself is great. The complaints I've heard have centered on the theming of the area.
  • Fantasyland: Mostly positive reviews for what's there, the complaints have been that there should have been more.
  • Test Track: Largely positive so far. The complaints have been that the outdoor portion wasn't enclosed, I would speculate that if that were to happen the budget would have been increased dramatically.
Now what surprises me is that no one has pointed out that the Hogwarts Express ride will largely be a long, narrow indoor track and Disney took the "cheap" route by not enclosing Test Track.

Where I think the complaints occur are with the horrible maintenance issues combined with the increased ticket costs and a lack of true E-ticket additions to parks that need it. If you want to go further into it, money seems to be wasted in Fantasyland. Something like Enchanted Tales with Belle has a very impressive set up to what amounts to a World Showcase players level attraction. It's an A-ticket show in an E-Ticket building. Mermaid is a D-ticket attraction in an E-ticket building. Believe me, I absolutely love how New Fantasyland looks as do the people that are complaining about it, they just think that it was missing that truly amazing attraction.

The expectation is that Universal has been putting out top quality attractions that are revolutionary, and Disney isn't even trying to catch up. That doesn't sit well with people.

WDWFREAK53

The expectation is that Universal has been putting out top quality attractions that are revolutionary, and Disney isn't even trying to catch up. That doesn't sit well with people.

Since when does Disney need to catch up to Universal?

While I agree that Universal is doing much more lately...Disney hasn't fallen behind Universal in any way shape or form as far as money coming in and the turnstiles moving.

Eventually...maybe...but not now.

misterID

I skimmed through the video. DId I just see the city from the end of World of Motion back in the ride?

I thought I saw that, too. It made me smile :)

And no, I don't take anyone serious who wants to hang out on a message board and praise TDO over and over again. That's a joke.

misterID

While I agree that Universal is doing much more lately...Disney hasn't fallen behind Universal in any way shape or form as far as money coming in and the turnstiles moving.

UNI will never catch up to WDW in the turnstiles department. Those are two seperate things. WDW has fallen FAR BEHIND UNI on cutting edge attractions and efficiency <--- which is an important aspect. And will continue to do so.

dweezil78

Disney definitely has some catching up to do as far a ride technology goes. Still have yet to see anything, tech-wise, on the same level as Spiderman/Transformers or Harry Potter (yes, Sum of Thrills uses a Kuka arm, but not nearly in the same capacity).

WDWFREAK53

UNI will never catch up to WDW in the turnstiles department. Those are two seperate things. WDW has fallen FAR BEHIND UNI on cutting edge attractions and efficiency <--- which is an important aspect. And will continue to do so.

Yes...for the theme park goers...but if the turnstiles don't change due to lack of technology and cutting edge attractions, then what is their "motivation" to change?

The only thing that will motivate them is that if the turnstiles slow down at Disney and they speed up at Universal. When substantial money is leaving WDW and substantial money is arriving at UNI...you will see major changes.

t3techcom18

I get what you're saying, but the track still makes sense with the new scenes. Except maybe at the hill climb and rough road section.

The POV videos aren't really showing it, but there are screens before and after each test section, before showing what you'll be doing, and after showing how your custom vehicles ranked in that section.

ABS Off = the sim car automatically brakes to avoid the digital avalanche.
ABS On = the sim car automatically swerves to avoid the lightning strike
Environmental chambers = eco efficiency
hairpin turns = responsiveness testing
truck = automatic crash avoidance, part of responsiveness testing. It makes more sense now than having a truck in the middle of a testing facility.
barrier test = full power launch.

You nailed all the scenes on the dot.

As for the Hill Climb, it's still Hill Climb but, if anything, it makes it seem as if the gateway you went just before you start to ascend is the portal into the SimTrack, hence the narration of "Welcome to the SimTrack."

As for the former blocks area - It's hard to figure out, not going to lie, but the official name of that scene is Icy Patch Downramp. The blue lights going down on the side is suppossed to be digitized snow.

misterID

You can already say it's made a difference because Disney knows how much UNI is bringing in just off the merch, not to mention atendance. Yes, UNI's attendance will go up and WDW can go down, but what will be a shocker is if Disneyland takes its place as the #1 tourist destination in the world. UNI just will never catch up with WDW's numbers. Bu you are correct that it will be a big enough shift to get their attention. BUt I guarantee you they are already concerned... At least out in Burbank, not in Orlando.

t3techcom18

Just watched the full video. Wow, a bit of ol' EPCOT is back.
Music and feel, spot on. Applause.

One question for those of you who have been on it: With these sorts of
"interactive experiences", as nice as they may be, after doing that once,
I'll just want to get on the ride (lines permitting). If you want to skip all
that and just walk through to get on the ride, can you do that?

I would like to just stand outside the pavilion and listen to the
music on a warm Orlando evening, though . . . .

The only way to do that will be either through the FP or Single Rider lanes. The kiosks there are unattended, therefore, they are optional.

t3techcom18

• Test Track: Largely positive so far. The complaints have been that the outdoor portion wasn't enclosed, I would speculate that if that were to happen the budget would have been increased dramatically.
Now what surprises me is that no one has pointed out that the Hogwarts Express ride will largely be a long, narrow indoor track and Disney took the "cheap" route by not enclosing Test Track.

I keep explaining why but people keep mentioning it...you CANNOT enclose the outdoor portion of the track and keep the existing infrastructure as is.

First, and most importantly, you would go deaf. If someone doesn't believe me, watch an on-ride video of RSR and listen to how loud it is when you go underneath the 'cave' where the on-ride camera is. If it's THAT loud and you're only there for, say, 1-3 seconds, imagine how it would be for a minute and a half.

Secondly, it's a matter of physics. What happens to skyscrapers and bridges that are high in the air? They are allowed to sway due to the elements and the constant shift in weight and movement the buildings have. If skyscrapers were built as completely standing still, a rainstorm would pass by and probably topple the building. Same exact reasoning goes for TT. If you put that on top of the existing infrasture, it would create additional weight. It's just not feasible.

Thirdly, think about it: you're going 65 mph. What could you create that's extremely noticeable or noteworthy when you're blazing by at 65 mph?: Nothing.

Lastly, I can imagine a lot of folks would say, "Well, they can just enclose the entire outside track by extending the building." True, but it's not possible at all. It's arguably the biggest artery when it comes to CM traffic flow to and from backstage (especially for those CM's in FW) and it's extremely important for service vehicles and the like during third shift. There's NO way they can do that at all without some major infrastructure changes.

Definitely agree about Universal kicking WDW though. As a friend of mine told me once...Before, Disney (in general) was the top dog, respected by every other company and the ones who held the bar for excellence. Now, companies look at them as the laughing stock in terms of technological advancement and other issues.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
You can already say it's made a difference because Disney knows how much UNI is bringing in just off the merch, not to mention atendance. Yes, UNI's attendance will go up and WDW can go down, but what will be a shocker is if Disneyland takes its place as the #1 tourist destination in the world. UNI just will never catch up with WDW's numbers. Bu you are correct that it will be a big enough shift to get their attention. BUt I guarantee you they are already concerned... At least out in Burbank, not in Orlando.

Bob Iger has publicly acknowledged Universal's success as of late on a few occasions. They have noticed and I am sure most moves you have seen as of late are positioning themselves to build long term (Star Wars, Marvel, etc).

The_Mesh_Hatter

An above ground tunnel would work with additional supports. The tunnel would have to be a separate structure like how the coaster track isn't apart of the mountain in Expedition Everest.
Journey to the Center of the Earth is almost all indoors during it's fast portion, but it doesn't seem to make riders deaf. I think just enclosing the backstage part would suffice.
The indoor straight aways could have light projections going toward you to make it seem faster, like the end of Space Mountain. How would enclosing the outdoor section improve the ride? It would add a greater sense of speed and would keep the theming consistant.

RSoxNo1

Just to confirm, each person can design their own car correct? Also, any photos on whether or not they changed the Fastpass paper?

RSoxNo1

Universal is trending up and Disney is trending down in what Disney erroneously categorized as a mature market. They are losing revenue to their competitor. Yes, they still are at the top of family entertainment but their segment of the marketplace is shrinking. It's shrinking because Disney has done the bare minimum while their competition is pushing the envelope. They've allowed their competition to catch up and at this point they either don't know what to do, or are unwilling to admit the problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom