Test Track refurb???

Atomicmickey

Just watched the full video. Wow, a bit of ol' EPCOT is back.
Music and feel, spot on. Applause.

One question for those of you who have been on it: With these sorts of
"interactive experiences", as nice as they may be, after doing that once,
I'll just want to get on the ride (lines permitting). If you want to skip all
that and just walk through to get on the ride, can you do that?

I would like to just stand outside the pavilion and listen to the
music on a warm Orlando evening, though . . . .

montyz81

Ok, just watched the video again. Small nit pick... They did nothing to the re-entrance tunnel accept paint and a new screen. They need to put some walls up to cover the utility panels.

spacemountain89

Just watched the full video. Wow, a bit of ol' EPCOT is back.
Music and feel, spot on. Applause.

I would like to just stand outside the pavilion and listen to the
music on a warm Orlando evening, though . . . .
yes, fastpass and single riders skip the design process and choose an already custom car to use for the sim track

bigeternity

Just watched the POV video. Having worked at EPCOT in the early 90s, this new version of TT does an admirable job of evoking the orignal vibe that made this park so special.

djlaosc

In the spirit of originality: Sum of All Test Tracks? You design your own, emphasis seems to be in the educational value of the design process, then you ride it. Similar enough to marry the names?

**DISCLAIMER**
I have NOT actually experienced TT2.0, only Sum of All Thrills. I'm calling myself on this fact before the oober-defensive pouncing begins... ;)

The thing with SoAT is that at least it affects the ride - this whole idea seems like if TSMM asked you to design your gun, but then it had no affect on the ride itself.

djlaosc

But how long before guests realize it doesn't matter what they do in the design - the ride experience is the same? And when that happens.. the design portion becomes 'detached'. Where is the feedback about what your design choices really do? You see it in the post show.. and the ride itself is always the same. So if you were really geeking about the design portion.. you'd almost want to SKIP the ride to see what your choices did. That's a problem for repeatability. You are really doing two separate things. That's why design needs to be reflected in the actual ride experience.. otherwise they are just two things you do.. that someone forced the order of events on you.

That's the issue that I have with this - I would be all for it if your choices in the design affected the ride itself, just like I enjoyed doing Sum of All Thrills, but as I have said, this currently seems like if they made you design your gun for TSMM, but then nothing changed in the ride itself.

I can't help thinking that this is Stage 2 in the "interactive queues" that they are introducing, in preperation for when the lines get longer with the introduction of FP+.

It just seems that they've moved something that they would originally have had in the post-show into the pre-show.

djlaosc

Then the same then can be said about Mission: Space where you supposedly get a "job" to control things in the cabin, but in reality, you're not controlling anything. For those who love the concept of Mission: Space, does that stop them from going on it again and again? Most likely, no. Mission: Space might have light attendance many days, but that's more due to the fact that physical issues impair people from actually going on it or liking the idea.

The difference with Mission:SPACE is that as long as you play along with it, you can still feel like you are doing something/affecting the ride itself - TT2.0 doesn't have that going for it!

djlaosc

Hopefully.

WDWBryan

You don't have to get a fastpass. You can just stand in the design room and twiddle your thumbs instead of designing a car if you're that opposed to it.

lobelia

Test Track 1 never impressed me. After the ride my husband always spent time going through the show vehicles. They new interactive element seems pretty cool. I see myself going on this ride over and over with my son and husband trying to one-up the other's score. They will observe how people got high scores and keep going back on this ride to see who "wins". I will design the pretty car and lose magnificently. I still won't care about the ride, but my guys will love the chance to compete. These are the same guys who played a video game for three hours at a waterpark so they could have the high score. I hope this is something that they can defeat easily or I will be outside looking for lizards and eating Mickey Ice Cream Bars.

huntzilla

Not at all, but why can't we just acknowledge and celebrate that they've been knocking things out of the park, without injecting needless negativity? I swear there is no such thing as good news on wdwmagic. Even when something is awesome it will bet pummeled with disco jokes.

LOL, no sir, I cannot agree with "knocking it out of the park" at all. The defamation of CBJ, the half-arsed refurb of BTMRR, that really did nothing at all, not even being able to engineer a spinner properly, are all examples of their incompetence. These were all within the last few months too! For every example of one good thing, I could name atleast ten. Yeah the pixie dust is mind altering, but try not to let it distort your perception. If you can't handle the negativity, I'd advise you to please never listen to our show.

~Disco On!~

djlaosc

LOL, no sir, I cannot agree with "knocking it out of the park" at all. The defamation of CBJ, the half-arsed refurb of BTMRR, that really did nothing at all, not even being able to engineer a spinner properly, are all examples of their incompetence. These were all within the last few months too! For every example of one good thing, I could name atleast ten. Yeah the pixie dust is mind altering, but try not to let it distort your perception. If you can't handle the negativity, I'd advise you to please never listen to our show.

~Disco On!~

This is a serious question - was "The Haunted Mansion" refurb in 2007 the last refurb that most people can agree was good?
  • Space Mountain - NO
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover - NO
  • Spaceship Earth - NO
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - NO
  • Country Bear Jamboree - NO
Do Star Tours 3D (YES) and Test Track 2.0 (NO) count as refurbs or "new" rides?

mickey2008.1

Just watched the video, and it looks nice, but it also looks like you will be bored if there is a l.ong line, not much to look at except blue and silver walls. The design concept is a great idea, but remember it is for groups of three, so what happens when there is just two of you, and when kids/adults/Brazillians want to create their own vehicle, who is going to monitor that? I like the futuristic aspect, but somehow it gets lost in the ride with just neon lights and tv screens, where as TT1 had some show to it and a good story. It may not have been well maintained, but proved its point in the end. Still the same ride, more next gen, more future world, but less involved(road block test, hills, chambers, even leaving the building onto the track) just not enough explanation and build up in my opinion, but that may change on my next trip.

Epcotbob

Just watched the POV video....I think it's excellent! The queue is very cool, and the background music is classic Epcot! Considering they kept the original ride mech, I think they did a Fantastic job!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom