Test Track and General Motors

Skipper Dan

pilot_GoldEmblemH1.jpg

:drevil:

TP2000

Regardless of the poor fools who defend Detroit and the shame they have brought on their own country, when [B GM[/B] pulls out of Test Track at the end of the year Disney is going to have a HECK OF A TIME pulling off a transformation of the current pavilion post-show area.

Since 1982 that post-show area was an Auto Show-esque display of current GM cars and trucks that Epcot visitors could sit in and explore. It was a giant commercial for GM, and got hundreds of thousands of people per year to sit in their products. It's latest incarnation really played up the Auto Show theme, with every division of GM on proud display.

That post-show theme and purpose will be gone in six months time. And what will Disney replace it with? DVC info kiosks? PhotoPass plywood cutouts to have your photo taken in front of? Pin trading lounge? :rolleyes:

Disney needs to find a replacement sponsor for Test Track ASAP. Obviously none of the dying or weak companies from Detroit are going to be able to cough up the cash. But Disney needs someone very desperately, and very quickly. It should be interesting to see who steps up and takes over.

And if no one does step up as a new sponsor, Test Track will become rather pathetic and pointless, aside from some G forces and wind in your hair.

WDW1974

In this economy, Disney would be thrilled to snag ANY major automaker to take over sponsorship of this expensive, trouble-prone attraction.

Ford has been a sponsor at DLP in the past ... Renault as well if I recall. Honda is a sponsor in DL.

Now as for quality cars, well, I've been burned by the Big Three many times and when I ditched my last Dodge I swore I'd never buy another again.

Since then I've gone from regular trips to dealerships where I encountered slimy people who never fixed any of the shoddy workmanship and added more of their own, to great cars. I've stuck with Hondas and Mercedes and EVERY one has been virtually 100% trouble-free. My folks have owned about 14 Hondas in the past 20 years and they've NEVER had a major problem, not a one. Detroit earned its reputation both in the Golden Age of the 50s when it set the standard for automobile excellence and sadly by producing incredible crap for decades starting in the 70s.

I always was amused that GM sponsored TT because it seemed as reliable as any of their vehicles I owned in the 1990s.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ameican/Foreign, blah, blah, it means nothing these days when GM and Ford cars are made in Canada and Mexico and "Foreign" brands like Toyota and Honda make cars right here in the U.S.

Not to mention that Toyota even has a design center in California known as CALTY where cars like the Scion tC were desgined at.

Epcot is an international themed park, there is no reason why it can't have a car company with very strong U.S. presence in design, and building be in a U.S. park.

DisneyMusician2

Ameican/Foreign, blah, blah, it means nothing these days when GM and Ford cars are made in Canada and Mexico and "Foreign" brands like Toyota and Honda make cars right here in the U.S.

Not to mention that Toyota even has a design center in California known as CALTY where cars like the Scion tC were desgined at.

Epcot is an international themed park, there is no reason why it can't have a car company with very strong U.S. presence in design, and building be in a U.S. park.

I agree! And if Honda is already a sponsor in DL, then maybe they can revamp the attraction to focus on the Insight and their new line of Hybrids that is supposed to compete with the Toyota Prius and such.

WDWFREAK53

Ok, all car manufacturer's have their flaws. Nobody is exempt from that statement.

Nissan: Can't make a truck to save their life. Oh, the Titan you say. Look at the reliability of that and the Armada.

Toyota: When was the last time they built a car with some excitement? Hmm, the Supra. Their styling has become so bland it's not even funny. (And might I add that the build quality/reliability has been slowly dropping as of late).

BMW: Love them...but for what we're talking about, the prices are too high for the "average" consumer.

Honda: Honda is finally reinventing itself. For a while they were pretty stale. (My choice if GM can't work it out).

Ford: People talk about Mustangs...but they are archaic! It's the year 2009...can we have an Independent Rear Suspension please?!?!?! Also, something about their trucks don't live up to GMC. They "rattle" more. I will say that the Fusion is a nice car though and if they continue down that path, they'll do just fine. Also, their hybrid and ecoboost technology is coming along quite nicely.

Dodge: Umm...did Dodge and Chrysler get the memo that gas mileage is a big concern these days?

GM: With the "bankruptcy" right around the corner...it's obvious that GM has flaws. The major flaw is that they are too big. Domestically they sell 8 brands (I think, I may have missed one). [Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, Saturn, Cadillac, and GMC]. They have 8 brands, and about 5 different cars. They just kept rebadging the same vehicle and sold them under different brands. If they had just consolidated the brands and sold only one or two versions of the vehicle, they probably would've survived.

For instance...they have a platform for their crossover.
Chevy Traverse
Buick Enclave
Saturn Outlook
GMC Acadia. They are all the same vehicle with slightly different body panels and slightly different interiors.

Also, GM is a little "misled" with the whole "green thing." It's like they don't know which way they want to go so they are trying 4 different avenues hoping that one will "stick."
(Hybrid, Ethanol, Electric, and Hydrogen).

I'm going to leave companies like Porsche, Smart, Lotus, etc. out of this because they are TOO "niche."

So, my order for Test Track's Sponsor:
1. GM (The NEW GM...the slimmer GM [Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC])
2. Honda
3. Ford
4. Nissan
5. Toyota
6. BMW
7. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep

RSoxNo1

I dont want a new sponsor I want an entire new ride!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless of your opinions of Test Track, it's not the biggest problem on that side of the park, let alone all of WDW. Before this is replaced, I'd like to see attention paid to WoL and/or UoE

EPCOT Explorer

Damn your evil was EPCOT Explorer damn you. :fork::mad:
Excuse me?

I fail to see what I did wrong.

In this economy, Disney would be thrilled to snag ANY major automaker to take over sponsorship of this expensive, trouble-prone attraction.

Ford has been a sponsor at DLP in the past ... Renault as well if I recall. Honda is a sponsor in DL.

Now as for quality cars, well, I've been burned by the Big Three many times and when I ditched my last Dodge I swore I'd never buy another again.

Since then I've gone from regular trips to dealerships where I encountered slimy people who never fixed any of the shoddy workmanship and added more of their own, to great cars. I've stuck with Hondas and Mercedes and EVERY one has been virtually 100% trouble-free. My folks have owned about 14 Hondas in the past 20 years and they've NEVER had a major problem, not a one. Detroit earned its reputation both in the Golden Age of the 50s when it set the standard for automobile excellence and sadly by producing incredible crap for decades starting in the 70s.

I always was amused that GM sponsored TT because it seemed as reliable as any of their vehicles I owned in the 1990s.
Never understood that. What does Honda have to do with Fireworks...?

I think by "succesful" we are talking about companies that are actually profitable year after year and aren't begging taxpayers for billions of dollars to survive month to month. By that measure, Toyota is more "succesful" than Government Motors (GM).

Um Toyota IS being bailed out by the Japanese Government. I believe it was around 3 billion. Not much compared to what GM has received but a lot when their government could not support a mail service

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom