Temporary Huggles

stranger

dandaman said:
So, driving home as fast as we could given the road conditions, we set up an impromptu Christmas dinner at home, with really good pizza and wings. Seeing as how it was my mom's birthday (she's named Carol, guess why... ;)), at the end of our feast, we stuck a candle in some Christmas French Silk Pie and sang "Happy Birthday".

...And, we watched Dad's Christmas present, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". :lol: So, what started going downhill really turned out all right in the end. :)

P.S. I also got a book (yes, there is a book), on Festivus! :D

Bless your mom and glad her birthday turned out fine in the end! :)

Uponastar

dandaman said:
Yeah... I couldn't. The net went on the fritz not a minute after I posted. :lol:

My christmas started out really okay. My main present was a Casio LK-45 key-lighting keyboard and a book entitled "How to Be Like Walt". In total, I think I got at least $200 US and $600 CDN worth of gifts!

My grandma and papa were diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's over the summer. My mom, bless her heart, has been trying her best to keep patience with them, take them to every single appointment, etc... My grandma has... kind of always been a little mean to Mom. It gets a whole lot worse with the Alzheimer's. So, Mom pretty much spent her Christmas afternoon thinking about how this could be both their last Christmases.

We arrived home from my mom's side's celebration (they live just south of Detroit, in Allen Park) around 3:30. Mom drank a little too much wine (and who can blame her, really?) and slept for about 2 hours. She woke up, and came downstairs to me and my sister. She was feeling really bad that she "spent the holidays passed out", so she wanted to make up for it. Despite the fact that she really didn't have to, we got ready to go see Narnia. Dad didn't want to go, for some reason... he seemed to be a little peeved at Mom, for being so sad at Christmas...

We get outside, and it's an extremely bad wet snowstorm out there. We made it about halfway to the theatre on a county road, before deciding to head up to the other cinema and check the times. The next show wasn't till 9:30, and it was 7 p.m. at the time. We searched for a restaurant. None were open around there, except for one: Capri Pizzeria. We went in there, and there was a family, likely Greek. They were having their Christmas party right there, behind the counter. They were making baklava and pizza for themselves, and were just about ready to close up shop when they invited us in. They gave us our Christmas dinner, on them, including a free bucket of wings (they couldn't find the house to deliver it to). So, they wished us a Merry Christmas, we left, and they closed. We looked in, and they were just... so happy, so content, that they were together. I had tears in my eyes, thinking about it. We all did.

So, driving home as fast as we could given the road conditions, we set up an impromptu Christmas dinner at home, with really good pizza and wings. Seeing as how it was my mom's birthday (she's named Carol, guess why... ;)), at the end of our feast, we stuck a candle in some Christmas French Silk Pie and sang "Happy Birthday".

...And, we watched Dad's Christmas present, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". So, what started going downhill really turned out all right in the end.

P.S. I also got a book (yes, there is a book), on Festivus!

Danny, your Christmas sounds like a Lifetime Christmas movie, only better!
I can totally relate to your mom's feelings. Having taken care of numerous elderly relatives, I know how darn hard it can be! And, on top of it, their fragility is a reminder that none of us is really all that far behind them! :( We have to make every minute count. Sounds like your mom turned everything around and did just that! :xmas:
The pizzeria sounds like a miracle that was just waiting for you and your mom and sister to walk into it. How amazing! Gave me chills to read about it. :)

Ferris Bueller sounds like a perfect way to end a Christmas! :lol:

A book on Festivus? :eek: I'll have to look for it!

Huggles Danny! Thanks for sharing! :kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom