Tearful moments in Disney films

Ilovewishes

Original Poster
I was just listening to one of my Disney CDs and a song came on that never fails to give me a lump in my throat - Dumbo's Baby Mine. It's one of the most heartbreaking moments in any Disney film I have ever seen! Especially when poor little DUmbo has to leave him mum again after she's cradled him on her trunk :cry:

So I was just wondering what other Disney moments you make you all cry?

Another for me is the end of Homeward Bound where Shadow falls in the pit and tells the others he's too old to get out. I'm tearing up now just thinking about it!

So what Disney films make you reach for the tissues?

Cubs Brian

When Bambi's mom dies, and a scene in the Chicago Cubs movie when they were 5 outs away from the World Series and they imploded. Oh wait , that REALLY happened, sorry.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

bobjl527

I have always noticed that most Disney films have a sad scene in them. I guess that helps to have a happier ending. However, a couple of the saddest I think are from recent Pixar films. I know some of you might be quick to point out these are not technically Disney films, I know. But they're close enough.

First in "Cars." When they show Radiator Springs before they built the interstate. They were so excited that it was being built, then no one was coming anymore and the town was wiped off the map. That song "Main Street isn't Main Street anymore" really got me.

Also in Toy Story 2. When Jessie's owner gets older and she ends up under her bed for a long time. Then she comes back home and Jessie is so excited she is taking her with in the car, only she is being given away. Very depressing.:cry:

TakeMeThere81

Also in Toy Story 2. When Jessie's owner gets older and she ends up under her bed for a long time. Then she comes back home and Jessie is so excited she is taking her with in the car, only she is being given away. Very depressing.:cry:

I just have to second this one, it gets you thinking about how fast kids grow up. Especially if you have kids, this one can really get you!

Kelsybelle

The end of The Little Mermaid always gets me going!
Ariel is now human, married to her Prince, happily waving goodbye to her sisters and when King Triton magically floats out of the water and hugs her, I always get misty! :eek:

jimmybog

Mine has to be in the "Fox & the Hound" film. Its the part of the film where the old widow drives the fox out to the forest to leave him there for his own safety. During the journey she is speaking out the words of a poem which I think is titled "Best Friends" or something on them lines. When they arrive in the forest, the fox is let out of the car and thinks he is there to play. Then the widow returns to the car and leaves the fox behind. That final scene when the fox looks at the widow and then realises what is happening, to me is far far worse than Bambi, Lion King and any other Disney film I have seen.

Tiggerfanatic

DD & I have this discussion all the time - which Disney film is the saddest ever?

I always say Dumbo - like the OP says, the scene with his mother just tears me up. DD says it's the Fox & the Hound, where she has to leave Todd in the woods.

MousDad

You all are going to laugh at me, but when Mike shows Sully his hands at the end of Monsters, Inc., I get a brief golf-ball sized lump in my throat.

To ^^^, Jesse and Fox/Hound are really good ones.

Oh, if you haven't seen Wall*E yet, there's 2 good ones in this film. I won't spoil it for you.

Belle001

I definately have to second the vote for lion king when mufasa dies. It gets me every time! Also the "Can you feel the love" song gets me too!

In Beauty and the Beast - "Tale as old as time" song.

nothing beats having a good cry at a movie!

Ilovewishes

Original Poster
Oh my gosh, I hadn't even thought of the Fox and the Hound!! That really is a tear jerker!

And the point in lady and the Tramp where Trusty gets hit by the car and Jock goes out and finds him led in the street...:cry:

I'm seeing a pattern here - dogs really upset me!!!

hokielutz

My tearful moment offering, without repeating the many other suggestions, which I completely agree with, is towards the end of POTC: At World's End when Will is stabbed, and one more time when Will and Elizabeth part ways on the beach. They spent so much time trying to get together, and when they are finally married... they are separated by death and duty.

Christine43

I used to sing "Baby Mine" to my children when they were little and I still choke up when I hear it. My three boys are on the autistic spectrum and have had to deal with a lot of cruelty from other kids so the line "little one when you play, don't you mind what they say" really gets to me still. That particular scene in the movie with Dumbo and his mother never fails to make me tear up. Dumbo remains one of my favorite characters.

Nicole220

Let's see...

Lion King...Mufasa's death gets me every time. :(

Bambi's mother dying.

Dumbo

Fox and the Hound...when the old lady drops Todd off in the forest. Oy. :(

Homeward Bound

The When She Loved Me song in Toy Story 2

Oliver and Company, especially the Good Company song.

Wall-E

I'm sure there are so many others...it doesn't take much to make me cry in movies.

DDuckFan130

Ditto to everything that has been said because I'm sure I've teared up at those at one time or another.

My addition is a strange one but from one of my favorites: The end of Hercules. I get goosebumps and teary when Hercules gets his constellation and the guy says "that's Phil's boy."

Always gets me :cry:

KingStefan

Definitely when Jessie gets re-cycled! Mufasa's death is a close second for me. The Bambi's mom scene never got to me, even as a kid - too sappy.

I know it's not animated, but some people posted about pirates, and the OP didn't put that restriction, so what about Old Yeller? Nobody has mentioned that one! This really got me bawlin' as a kid! I know it's not so generally well known, so I won't put a spoiler here.

Anyway, I have a funny story about the Jessie one: I was on hold for ADRs one day a few years ago and "When she loved me" came on the hold music, and wouldn't you know the CM picked up just toward the end when I was bawlin' my eyes out. She was all like "are you OK, sir", and we talked about what just happened and we both had a really good laugh over it. :lol::lol:Talk about a good ice breaker. I was a little embarassed, but it made it easier for us to work out the reservations.

3IAlienKid

1) The finale of The Fox and the Hound when Todd and Copper make peace and part ways forever.
2) The finale of Ratatouille when Anton Ego is transported back to his childhood by his first taste of ratatouille.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom