Team Heroes - Stanza V: Patch 'Em Up

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, finally caught up on mostly everything (haven't read all of the threads fully)

Loving the direction of this and the Americana Entertainment group thing and the backstory being posted a few days early as a teaser.

As for the presentation...

I've been thinking recently about how we want to do our presentation.

Space has already spoken on the importance of remaining simple with our descriptions. Most of the judges will have never been to the parks, and it wouldn't be very fun to expect them all to research everything beforehand. This project requests visuals, namely maps.

Then it hit me- what if we created a map! For those unaware, GoogleMyMaps allows you to create your own "maps" by placing markers and semitransparent shapes over regular google. We can add descriptions to these markers instead of making one long forum post.

Curiosity got the better of me and I started playing around with what a custom map might look like. You guys can add to it. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iKby_UfZn0WJGVco5AnZfkw_M4fNIgSf&usp=sharing

I think this is a great and very unique idea. But it seems, and maybe this is just me, difficult to navigate with all the parks in different geographical location. Plus VERY limiting to what we could do as far as visuals with this project. And not good on mobile. If we were just doing one park, I'd be more in favor. Plus, while I agree that brevity is key here. This just seems a bit too limited.

Of course, these issues could just be personal ones. And if this is the direction we go, I won't complain. It is a very outside the box idea.

What I would pitch, is something simple with a new twist. The new (I think its new) Google Sites makes it very easy to make websites. And you can embed Google Slides presentations into the site. We cold have a website where each page has a brief 3-5 sentence introduction to the park (The park's main theme, what it brings to the Americana Entertainment Group, the mission statement for the expansion). Then the Slides with the actual presentation for that park.

We set a limit that each section has to follow. Something like 7 slides (plus title slide) with font no smaller than size 18 Roboto (Which could fit a ride through just under half the length of our Lego ridethrough/vehicle info/queue in four slides.). A limit that gives people enough room to write and draw out their ideas. But a limit that forces them to keep it concise. Plus, slides as a format always encourages visuals over writing which is a plus for big group projects.

And a 28 Page Slides presentation divided up over four parts would be about average project length. That's only 2 Pages longer than Novus Harbor and we had larger dimensions for the Slides format. Though a lower Slide limit could be used. Or a larger minimum font.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Also, back to my computer. Back to being Heroes. Time to dust off the old Brava profile pic

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Here is a really basic example of what I mean. Literally made in 10 minutes (Site and slides), so definitely rough and could be cleaned up. But super easy to put together.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Here is a really basic example of what I mean. Literally made in 10 minutes (Site and slides), so definitely rough and could be cleaned up. But super easy to put together.
I would be in favor of this but it's already been used in the competition (Stanza III by Warriors) - not that it's off limits. But frankly since it's a free round I think it'd be a missed opportunity to not at least try something like the map presentation that hasn't been done before.

If it fails, so what, I'll take responsibility for it, but I'd rather go down swinging trying something new then settle for stuff that's been used before.

spacemt354

Chili's
I would be in favor of this but it's already been used in the competition (Stanza III by Warriors) - not that it's off limits. But frankly since it's a free round I think it'd be a missed opportunity to not at least try something like the map presentation that hasn't been done before.

If it fails, so what, I'll take responsibility for it, but I'd rather go down swinging trying something new then settle for stuff that's been used before.
This being said - I don't want to spend time debating.

If people don't like it, or think it's too limiting - then do what is best for you and your style. With 12 ish people on the team, do what's best for the majority - if slides and a site works better for you - then do that.

James G.

I'm home from the Freezing Rain Capital of the World, Toledo, Ohio for just a short time. I've read as much of all of your remarkable progress as I could. Before I say anything else, I once again have to thank @spacemt354 for taking charge when I couldn't. He's gone above and beyond what anyone should expect.

Now, just a few things I want to mention before I head back out into the winter (and hopefully back later today). First, I need to clarify that, in the back story/frame story, each park will remain an Independent Park. The Americana Entertainment Group is a confederation, an association, and nobody is being taken over by Carl Kalnow or purchased by the Americana Resort. Carl Kalnow is the fourth-richest man in America and has money to burn- or to invest. He feels that, by investing in your parks he will receive benefits for his own park, Americana. There's a saying that "When you're poor, you're crazy. When you're rich, you're eccentric. Carl Kalnow is VERY eccentric! Just go with it- I need to clarify this in the backstory. Don't worry about it- that is my job to clarify.

Don't feel that you have to create a huge presentation for your parks, where you have to explain in detail every single change, every single retheming and every single shop that you're including. Yes, it's fun, and might be beneficial to how you approach your final presentation, but be concise. Remember that your park is just one of four parks being featured, so perhaps the best way to approach your proposal is to try and get everything you feel is the most important features of your proposal into something only 1/4 as big as you'd present if your park was the only park being featured. Such phrases as , "...and other carefully-themed craft and gift shops" can tell the judges all they need to know. They've been reading your threads- they know where your creativity has taken you. Focus on the big stuff, use the "small" stuff as icing on the cake.

I've said this before- what your presentation is like is up to you, and to the tech wiz kids in here who will make the presentations happen. There is nothing wrong with using a presentation format that somebody has already used. If it works and is the best way to make your presentation, then use it! Don't make it too complicated, or too long for the judges to bother with. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY! Dazzle them with your writing! Remember the phrase "A picture is worth a thousand words", but remember that you need those words to fully show what the pictures/videos/whatever you're using means in your vision of how your park is going to benefit from the quarter-billion dollars you've got to spend. Make those words good ones.

I agree that the courtroom is nothing we probably have to worry about. No, I don't have inside info on this, but I suspect that the judges (even the evil Villain judges) are using this round as an "audition" for each of us, to show them how we work together in smaller teams and how much we each contribute to the big picture. Could we lose this round? In theory, yes, and we can't get complacent or we might find out. Do your best, and make your individual park presentations the best of the four. That way, we all win!

spacemt354

Chili's
Before finalizing the presentation - again props to @Outbound for your creativity in finding the map-based presentation. I was rooting for it because that level of intuitive design and stepping outside the box is exact what propels you forward in THIS game (and what this game is all about) some might have read me saying that before - but I will continue to say it until it sinks in;)

That being said - we come to a compromise

For @NateD1226 and @TwilightZone - out of the 4 parks, yours is the closest to completion, it's also the most dense in terms of additions.

Following James' logic - for many of those descriptions you have, they can be combined into a sentence or two, or a broad sweeping paragraph. They don't need to be outlined down to specific paint colors and $70K refurbs. Focus on your big attractions as the 'highlight' package of your enhancements.

Based on everyone's forte - google slides might be the most efficient means of a presentation. All 4 parks can be presented sequentially, I'd say 4-5 slides maximum per park.

With slides, it enables you to utilize the landscape format for pictures along with descriptions - as James said, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Have either Twilight or Nate ever attempted custom artwork before? I believe Twilight has, but now might be a really great time to do that.
To TRY. We are not Yoda here...trying matters.

How will you know if you succeed or not unless you try?

Try new things with artwork, maybe a background music score, etc etc anything to enhance the presentation beyond just simple text.

And that goes for all of the parks!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I agree, let's use Google Sites/Slides for now. I am now going to focus on my video. If I can get it done today, I might be able to help out with the writing at Hershey or Holiday World.

Perhaps the map will return later in the game...
I definitely hope the map returns later in the game! I may not think it was the best fit for a project with this many people/parks, but I definitely love the idea of it and can't wait to see what gets done with it!

Based on everyone's forte - google slides might be the most efficient means of a presentation. All 4 parks can be presented sequentially, I'd say 4-5 slides maximum per park.
I definitely think 4 slides or 5 with lots of visuals is a good limit.

James G.

(Sh-h-h-h-h, Heroes, over here...gather 'round, I don't want the Villains to hear this...I was secretly listening in on their conversations. That rat-dog Hindley accidently added me into their private message. Believe it or not, what he posted is true. There won't be a Cursed Courtroom this Stanza. It turns out that they're not really all that evil, and what they want us to have is- believe it or not- fun! No, really! They want us to have fun! That means that, yes we absolutely should finish all of our proposals and all of our projects, and have the best time possible doing this! They want us to push our creativity to the limits with this, and work together and help each other do the best we can. So, Heroes, keep working, create like there is no tomorrow (which there really will be in just a few hours) and HAVE FUN!) That's why we're doing this anyway, right? Back to work, or get to bed, and we'll see you tomorrow!

James G.

I think that is an excellent idea. I just finished rewriting a few things and consider it finished.

I suggest we make it obvious that the judges read this ahead of the final proposal. I can write up something like that and post it in a little bit.

James G.

Heroes, I have a raging headache and I have to get up in six hours to go back to work. I've done all I can do tonight, and tomorrow night I have a meeting that I can't get out of, along with my ugly-early work schedule this week. I think the Villains got ahold of my schedule and did this to me in hopes of destroying our chances of winning. Well, there is no courtroom this Stanza, but that is no reason for us not to do our best- and I know you will. I can't offer much, but if there is anything I can do, please let me know. You all know my limits of technical know-how...the stress of just posting the story game me the headache! That's just me. I know that those of you who are presentation gods will jump in and put everything together for Thursday night. All I can do is write, and if you need anything I've written clarified or anything new written, let me know and I'll somehow find the time to get it done...but not tonight. Tonight I have an appointment with some Ibuprofen and a pillow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom