TEA/AECOM 2013 Report

Goofyernmost

One thing Disney needs is more thrill rides. Imagine an entire Villain's park with the newest technology for large scale thrill rides. Not to mention doing Mickey's SCARY Halloween Party, Nightmare Before Christmas or other more mature themes. Frozen land would best fit in Fantasyland and continue to draw families there.
That's like saying the Six Flags needs more dark rides like Pirates, HM or Small World. Disney is not about extreme thrill rides. It has a few to calm the adrenalin junkies, but, unless it can be themed properly and stay under 200 feet high so a bunch of ugly red lights are not required on the tops, whatever they can fit in is OK with me.

Just in passing, I wish I could get a good Prime Rib at McDonalds, but, that is not what their mission statement is. You need to let Disney have a specialty and be different from other places.

Dafid Duck

That's like saying the Six Flags needs more dark rides like Pirates, HM or Small World. Disney is not about extreme thrill rides. It has a few to calm the adrenalin junkies, but, unless it can be themed properly and stay under 200 feet high so a bunch of ugly red lights are not required on the tops, whatever they can fit in is OK with me.

Just in passing, I wish I could get a good Prime Rib at McDonalds, but, that is not what their mission statement is. You need to let Disney have a specialty and be different from other places.

I understand thrill rides is not their thing but... an entire land of villains would be a wonderful theme for a new gate and continue the legacy of classic Disney.

seascape

Could you imagine those types of rides with a Disney Villains theme? Roller coaster junkies the world over would be clamoring over themselves to get there. ( I don't think you would get a refill drink pass from Disney though.)
I don't like roller coasters. But I wish Six Flags woud build some dark rides like Disney has. Anyway that was not my point. I was dealing with attendance and how it alone does not mean anything. The bottom line is profits and Six Flags does not really make much off of my wife and I. Disney on the other hand does. Also when I finally make it over to Universal all they will make from us is whatever the profit is from ticket sales and our lunch. Hopefully not too much. We will stay off site at a Wyndham timeshare, probably Bonnet Creek and I will add a few extra days at WDW. We just can't get enough of WDW. Its just so much fun and things to do between the parks, the water parks and Disney Springs.

Goofyernmost

I understand thrill rides is not their thing but... an entire land of villains would be a wonderful theme for a new gate and continue the legacy of classic Disney.
Sure but the most memorable villain trick, as far as I am concerned, was the poison apple given to Snow White. It's tough to make a major thrill ride from that. The modern day villains are not really Disney, even if they have Disney's name on them.

RSoxNo1

One thing Disney needs is more thrill rides. Imagine an entire Villain's park with the newest technology for large scale thrill rides. Not to mention doing Mickey's SCARY Halloween Party, Nightmare Before Christmas or other more mature themes. Frozen land would best fit in Fantasyland and continue to draw families there.

Here's the thing, Disney is losing market share because it has the perception of being for kids. It has spent billions to shake that perception (purchase of Marvel and Lucas IP). Disney needs more thrill rides and Universal needs more family friendly rides. I would say the latter is far more important than the former. Disney can continue to make attractions targetted at families and satisfy 70-75% of the audience. If Universal is comfortable with 20-25% of the market, they can continue targetting young adults.

doctornick

Here's the thing, Disney is losing market share because it has the perception of being for kids. It has spent billions to shake that perception (purchase of Marvel and Lucas IP). Disney needs more thrill rides and Universal needs more family friendly rides. I would say the latter is far more important than the former. Disney can continue to make attractions targetted at families and satisfy 70-75% of the audience. If Universal is comfortable with 20-25% of the market, they can continue targetting young adults.

I think this is spot on. Although I think more than "thrill rides" alone, Disney needs rides that are more likely to appeal to teens and adults than their current focus on attractions that are more directed the under age 10 set. Granted that thrill rides would be a major segment of this class of rides.

Disneyhead'71

Universal will get more than 25% of the market and it won't be by adding stuff aimed at toddlers.

seascape

Universal will get more than 25% of the market and it won't be by adding stuff aimed at toddlers.
Universal will never get close to Disney in market share in Orlando. In fact it will not add a third gate for years. Universal management is smart and they know they are way behind Disney in building in Asia. They will be spending their money and efforts there. It is also the reason that eventually they will give up the Marvel rights. It makes no sense to keep the rights for one park. All their marketing efforts should be unified and Marvel messes that up. I know what is going to happen now that I said that but it is true and the business majors and financial analysts known it too. Think with your wallet and on the bottom line. The mistake Universal made was not keeping the rights everywhere. But that is water under the bridge. Life goes on and Universal has to do what is best for Universal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Universal will never get close to Disney in market share in Orlando. In fact it will not add a third gate for years. Universal management is smart and they know they are way behind Disney in building in Asia. They will be spending their money and efforts there. It is also the reason that eventually they will give up the Marvel rights. It makes no sense to keep the rights for one park. All their marketing efforts should be unified and Marvel messes that up. I know what is going to happen now that I said that but it is true and the business majors and financial analysts known it too. Think with your wallet and on the bottom line. The mistake Universal made was not keeping the rights everywhere. But that is water under the bridge. Life goes on and Universal has to do what is best for Universal.

While there additions to the Orlando parks keep showing returns they will probably keep investing.

seascape

While there additions to the Orlando parks keep showing returns they will probably keep investing.
They will invest but not the billions needed for a new gate. That does not make sense when the rates of return are much lower in Orlando versus Asia. Universal management is not stupid and they answer to the stockholders. As a Disney Stockholder I would love to see Universal put their money in a Orlando on a third gate and leave Asia to Disney but I know that won't happen. By 2016 the top two parks in the world based on attendance will be Hong Kong Disney and Shanghai Disney. Also Universal Japan which loses the Marvel rights in the next decade will be the highest attended Universal park.

Goofyernmost

I'm not saying you're wrong, but, if Disney's numbers always show an increase (I'm talking numbers of people) and they already had a massively large piece of the market share, how are they losing market share. Disney has it's own identity and motivation for people to travel there. Granted they need to pick up the pace of new stuff, but, Walt's legacy is still holding on, and will for a number of years.

I go to both, but, I always have since Uni opened in Orlando. It is different then Disney and that is part of what I like about it. If Disney were to attempt to clone Uni, that would mean that Disney has lost its direction (which it may have). Both are doing fine, at least presently and believe me before long Uni will be putting on the brakes and attempting to recoup their expenses. Those boys with the sharp pencils work in many companies and aren't to be ignored.

Tony Perkis

They will invest but not the billions needed for a new gate. That does not make sense when the rates of return are much lower in Orlando versus Asia. Universal management is not stupid and they answer to the stockholders. As a Disney Stockholder I would love to see Universal put their money in a Orlando on a third gate and leave Asia to Disney but I know that won't happen. By 2016 the top two parks in the world based on attendance will be Hong Kong Disney and Shanghai Disney. Also Universal Japan which loses the Marvel rights in the next decade will be the highest attended Universal park.
I'm willing to bet solid money that Universal builds a third park in Orlando well before WDW builds a fifth gate. Mostly because Universal will have two complete parks, while Disney will still be fixing three broken parks.

Or while Disney is adding FP+ to the American Idol Experience.

RSoxNo1

I'm not saying you're wrong, but, if Disney's numbers always show an increase (I'm talking numbers of people) and they already had a massively large piece of the market share, how are they losing market share. Disney has it's own identity and motivation for people to travel there. Granted they need to pick up the pace of new stuff, but, Walt's legacy is still holding on, and will for a number of years.

I go to both, but, I always have since Uni opened in Orlando. It is different then Disney and that is part of what I like about it. If Disney were to attempt to clone Uni, that would mean that Disney has lost its direction (which it may have). Both are doing fine, at least presently and believe me before long Uni will be putting on the brakes and attempting to recoup their expenses. Those boys with the sharp pencils work in many companies and aren't to be ignored.
The numbers are increasing quicker at Universal. Universal is also gaining guests from Sea World.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Universal Studios Japan already is the highest attended Universal Park :confused:

PrincessNelly_NJ

No matter how hard people want you to believe I still see Universal fighting for Disney's scraps. I don't see a Universal park coming close to a Disney park anytime soon attendance wise. I keep thinking of Mercury Morris. :joyfull:

Its funny when people disrespect Iger by calling him the "weatherman" but to a point its true because he's putting the heat on Comcast. And noy building anything.
You mean... You don't see Universal Studios Florida coming close to the 4 WDW parks attendance, right?
Because Universal Studios Japan has already passed California Adventure by a little over 1.58 million vistors and Islands of Adventure is only 370,000 vistors behind California Adventure.

seascape

Universal
I'm willing to bet solid money that Universal builds a third park in Orlando well before WDW builds a fifth gate. Mostly because Universal will have two complete parks, while Disney will still be fixing three broken parks.

Or while Disney is adding FP+ to the American Idol Experience.
I take the train every day to work. This morning there were a group of 20 year olds talking about a universal and what they don't like about it and why they don't want to go see HP2 even though the love Harry Potter. they just don't like the feel of the 2 parks because they are so crowed and there is no room. Take this for what it's worth. I know those with universal colored glasses will attack me and say it's not true and that no one could feel that way but it's true.

Also as far as market share goes Disney will gain market share every year from 2016 to 2021. Universal will pick up a little.this year then it will stay equal for a couple of years and then once Disney expansions start coming on line in 2016 and on Disney share will increase.

Now for the attacks to begin.

WDWDad13

You're hired!

seascape

There are also rumors of Universal building a park in Beijing.
I expect Universal to add at least 2 parks in Asia. That is why Orlando will not be a major issue for them in the near future. It is only American arrogance that make Americans think our parks are the most important. They are not. The bottom line for each company is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom