TEA/AECOM 2013 Report

WDW1974

You are right. Disney does need improvements and the other 3 parks. Pandora and the night time show will help. Restoring Epson will help. But DHS needs the most help. Not only adding rides and attractions but an expansion into one of the parking lots. It is just not big enough to hold crowds needed to draw 15 million a year. Doing what has been discussed some of which is being built now will help solve the problem in the short run but more is needed.

The MK can't continue to carry everything. That is why a 5th gate just to the west of it is needed. There is a limit to what can be done in the the MK and rather than just expand to the west a 5th gate does make better use of the land and would help the bottom line. The attendance numbers speak for themselves. 20 million at the MK has to be near total capacity. Even if the went to 20 hours a day I can't see capacity at more than 25 million. Something has to be done and that is 5th gate next to the MK.

No, it isn't needed. It would be suicide for WDW at this point. They are not that dumb. Dumb? Yes. That dumb? Nope.

What WDW needs is MAJOR new attractions at the other parks to drive traffic from MK AS WELL AS a major new E-Ticket at MK that adds capacity and doesn't replace/reallocate it.

But they think MM+ is the answer ... not attractions, not new shows and spectaculars, not new entertainment. MAGIC Bands ...

PhotoDave219

You aren't the only one who has wondered that and NEVER been able to get a straight (or even a bi-curious) answer to that.

Wristbands. Or thats how they used to do it.

Heck, back in the day - 2004 - 6PM hard close. Guests held on MSUSA until the party started at 7. Wristband to get past the rope and into the party

WDW1974

Wristbands. Or thats how they used to do it.

Heck, back in the day - 2004 - 6PM hard close. Guests held on MSUSA until the party started at 7. Wristband to get past the rope and into the party

Yep ... I recall those days. I still believe hard closes and reopenings are how it should be done. Now, it is tacky as hell.

WDWDad13

But they think MM+ is the answer ... not attractions, not new shows and spectaculars, not new entertainment. MAGIC Bands ...

No they don't...but I know that fits your agenda/belief

They are building attractions, shows, and entertainment, etc along with the new functionality of the magic bands

CDavid

No they don't...but I know that fits your agenda/belief

They are building attractions, shows, and entertainment, etc along with the new functionality of the magic bands

Walt Disney World has four theme parks and they are building one or two rides (and a rumored overlay) over the next three years. Does that really appear to be a company which is even trying?

WDWDad13

Walt Disney World has four theme parks and they are building one or two rides (and a rumored overlay) over the next three years. Does that really appear to be a company which is even trying?

Well yes...considering from this report in the discussion here they are still increasing guests and don't even have to do that really

Let me guess, if they aren't building like Uni they aren't even trying right? lol

I'm finishing up my 2 week vacation here this week and I'll be honest, I haven't seen this much construction happening all at once in the past 10 years I can remember

Disneyhead'71

Well yes...considering from this report in the discussion here they are still increasing guests and don't even have to do that really

Let me guess, if they aren't building like Uni they aren't even trying right? lol

I'm finishing up my 2 week vacation here this week and I'll be honest, I haven't seen this much construction happening all at once in the past 10 years I can remember
No, no one has said that. The 2 resorts are at very different stages of their development. Uni is in growth mode. WDW has been coasting for just over a decade. We are seeing lots of work being done now, but that is because they let a lot of the facades rot. They have to fix them now. And they should have been addressing the infrastructure issues all along. Not wait a decade then turn the place into a massive construction zone all at once. Having DtD and the center of the MK all torn up is going to leave an impression. And not a good one.

In 2009 they came up with a plan to fix the MK's capacity issues but took so long to build it that the problem is even worse now.

CDavid

Universal is not the yardstick by which Walt Disney World development should be judged. I know many posters, and not just yourself, like to compare the two but in many ways it just isn't a valid comparison. Universal doesn't have four parks which have been neglected and allowed to grow stale over many years, in some cases actually longer than the Universal parks have even existed. Universal doesn't have as many old attractions begging for an update, nor anywhere near the extent of infrastructure which Disney must maintain. They don't have so many resort rooms to fill either, which is a critical difference.

If Disney is building like Universal - they aren't doing nearly enough. But they aren't even doing that.

Disney hasn't seen an appropriate and necessary level of investment in the parks and resort for many years. You are absolutely correct that there hasn't been this much construction in the last ten years - but that is exactly the problem we are trying to explain. Major work in the parks and on infrastructure has been put off for far too long. Indeed, several years have passed without a major new attraction opening anywhere on property at all. Both resort transportation and the parks themselves lack needed capacity for current crowd levels, and while numbers continue to grow that is primarily at just the Magic Kingdom, which exacerbates the capacity issue. Numbers at the other parks remain very roughly in the same ballpark as they were years ago.

Even if silly plastic bracelets really had been the greatest thing since sliced bread, had been on-time and on-budget, and hadn't experienced such a bumpy rollout it still wouldn't take the place of actually constructing and building new things - attractions and infrastructure. A tracking device which attempts to better manage your existing assets can only do so much. At the end of the day what people come for are the attractions and other resort experiences - and over the next three years, we have one or two confirmed additions.

WDWDad13

Universal is not the yardstick by which Walt Disney World development should be judged. I know many posters, and not just yourself, like to compare the two but in many ways it just isn't a valid comparison. Universal doesn't have four parks which have been neglected and allowed to grow stale over many years, in some cases actually longer than the Universal parks have even existed. Universal doesn't have as many old attractions begging for an update, nor anywhere near the extent of infrastructure which Disney must maintain. They don't have so many resort rooms to fill either, which is a critical difference.

If Disney is building like Universal - they aren't doing nearly enough. But they aren't even doing that.

Disney hasn't seen an appropriate and necessary level of investment in the parks and resort for many years. You are absolutely correct that there hasn't been this much construction in the last ten years - but that is exactly the problem we are trying to explain. Major work in the parks and on infrastructure has been put off for far too long. Indeed, several years have passed without a major new attraction opening anywhere on property at all. Both resort transportation and the parks themselves lack needed capacity for current crowd levels, and while numbers continue to grow that is primarily at just the Magic Kingdom, which exacerbates the capacity issue. Numbers at the other parks remain very roughly in the same ballpark as they were years ago.

Even if silly plastic bracelets really had been the greatest thing since sliced bread, had been on-time and on-budget, and hadn't experienced such a bumpy rollout it still wouldn't take the place of actually constructing and building new things - attractions and infrastructure. A tracking device which attempts to better manage your existing assets can only do so much. At the end of the day what people come for are the attractions and other resort experiences - and over the next three years, we have one or two confirmed additions.

wow so much I could debate in that lol. Not worth it

WDWDad13

Great contribution. In fact, I'll take your word for it. You win the argument!

:banghead:

No one was arguing although most discussions around here turn into that now or in some cases personal attacks

Maybe this forum should have a good news or discussion section and a bad news discussion section lol

Skip

No one was arguing although most discussions around here turn into that now or in some cases personal attacks

Maybe this forum should have a good news or discussion section and a bad news discussion section lol

Not my point, I'm not using the word "argument" in a combative way, rather a synonym to "debate." If you don't have anything to actually contribute beyond saying "I could so easily debate you on that," why say it? Take the time to have a discussion (on discussion forums), or don't say anything at all.

Your suggestion betrays a deeper problem: we can't live in bubbles where everything is exclusively good or bad, tailored to our needs. You have to accept and deal with both, i.e. the reality, in any arena, not just Orlando theme parks.

And so I can say something that's actually on-topic... I think there are some significant problems with these reports (how they're estimated, and the final results), but I can't state it any more eloquently than others with more knowledge than me. The numbers for DHS and DAK don't add up. TDL should be higher. etc.

KJC

I think that's where the debate can get so misguided. Most of us who are advocating on behalf of Universal today are doing so because we're longtime Disney fans who remember Disney being defined by innovation, high maintenance standards, and exciting additions. Universal is where all the action is at on those fronts right now, and has the added bonus of all being walkable.

Whenever attendance figures or profits are brought up in one of these debates, it totally misses the point, even though Uni's doing better and better by those margins. It doesn't effect the actual experience of being in the parks, other than how those profits are (or aren't) reinvested.

When all you can say is, "But more people go to Disney so Disney wins!", it's a fairly sad rebuttal, IMO. Disney's skyrocketing profits and attendance should be an argument for much more infrastructure improvements, new additions, and plusses to the guest experience. Why are attractions boarded up, why is merchandise generic, why are additions so slow to come by, why are rides so poorly maintained, why does construction take so long? I don't get it. Disney used to be so much better at all of the above.

WDWDad13

Not my point, I'm not using the word "argument" in a combative way, rather a synonym to "debate." If you don't have anything to actually contribute beyond saying "I could so easily debate you on that," why say it? Take the time to have a discussion (on discussion forums), or don't say anything at all.

Your suggestion betrays a deeper problem: we can't live in bubbles where everything is exclusively good or bad, tailored to our needs. You have to accept and deal with both, i.e. the reality, in any arena, not just Orlando theme parks.

And so I can say something that's actually on-topic... I think there are some significant problems with these reports (how they're estimated, and the final results), but I can't state it any more eloquently than others with more knowledge than me. The numbers for DHS and DAK don't add up. TDL should be higher. etc.

I can tell you EXACTLY why I'm not taking the time to debate right now...because I am IN the parks right now and I can actually enjoy it so I am

Skip

I can tell you EXACTLY why I'm not taking the time to debate right now...because I am IN the parks right now and I can actually enjoy it so I am

Great - but you didn't say that. You said it "wasn't worth it," not "I'm in the parks right now, I'll respond later." If you're in the parks and being on here is bothering you... then why are you responding to me at all? Go enjoy the parks, or don't, or do whatever, but I guess I'll look forward to your actual response to the question you claim you can so easily debate when you return.

WDWDad13

Great - but you didn't say that. You said it "wasn't worth it," not "I'm in the parks right now, I'll respond later." If you're in the parks and being on here is bothering you... then why are you responding to me at all? Go enjoy the parks, or don't, or do whatever, but I guess I'll look forward to your actual response to the question you claim you can so easily debate when you return.

I got better things to do then debate nega-disn'ers all the time

You go have your fun and I'll go have mine

Captain Chaos

Then maybe you shouldn't just imply you could easily debate us if you have no intention to. That's all I'm saying. No one's forcing you to contribute, but you have a habit of baiting people on this forum and it's rather annoying.
Because he can't... When ever he has tried, he has lost... And wind up tossing nonsense into the conversation about people being drunk on Butterbeer, simply because he cannot counter with anything...

seascape

Let me start by saying it is possible that some people love and get more enjoyment from Universal than they do from Walt Disney World. However it is also possible that some people get more enjoyment from Walt Disney World and love it. Is either person wrong? NO. People have their own opinions and views.

My wife and I don't like most roller coasters. We like family ones but not the large ones like they have at Great Adventure in Jackson NJ. However we do love the safari in Jackson and the lion cubs you get see just a couple of feet away from you. We actually like the Six Flags Great Adventure Safari better than AK because it's much bigger and includes many more animals. We still love WDW and the family rides and shows. We love Food and Wine, Flower and Garden and Disney Christmas. We will eventually get over to Universal and we think we will like Spiderman but we will not like to ride the roller coasters. Now unlike another poster here I do think Disney should probably have a large coaster or 2, but think they should build them in a 5th gate which should be aimed more towards teenagers. I do not think they belong in any of the existing gate.

Does is make a difference, I don't think so. Again I just don't get the hate. Enjoy the parks for what they have to offer.

One last thing, this thread was supposed to deal with attendance and the Disney fans are right Disney grew by 600,000 more customers than Universal. That is not putting Universal down but some of the comments in response to the attendance is to say the people who went to Disney had to be wrong and they should have gone to universal, that's just wrong. If you are in NJ go to Great Adventure and try the safari. You will enjoy it. If you are in Orlando go where you want to go. Don't listen to others and just have fun.

Attachments

• 20140601_130637.jpg
    20140601_130637.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 35

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom