Tangled restrooms opening date

WDW1974

I guess you missed the excitement among the DLP fans about the Toilets of Terror.:D

However, the excitement was about the design looking like Tower of Terror, so they were taken as a sign that the tower would follow the toilets...

Yep. Big elephant sized pile of pooh difference. One signaled something coming ... heck, EPCOT did that with restrooms back in 1982.

There isn't any Tangled area/attractions coming.

WDW1974

I appreciate the passion. There is an argument for why the Yeti being broken is a big deal, since one could claim it is the climax of the ride. I am a fan of climaxes and am saddened when the end of a ride doesn't feature one.

The climax is the best part of the ride. Everything is a nice buildup to that moment.

Anyone who doesn't get why having the Yeti MIA truly is missing a lot more ...

WDW1974

Yep. MK needs an E-ticket in a big way. Worse than any park at the World. I still maintain they really didn't understand what the park was lacking when they went the FLE route.

Fantasyland was done for one reason only: to increase/replace capacity in a park where for 15 years attractions have closed, shops and dining locales have been shuttered and guests have gotten wider and lazier.

MK needed more space to put them. That was why it happened. There is no serious TDO opinion that MK needs any new major attractions or much of anything at all.

NemoRocks78

Seized
USH doesn't try very hard to promote themselves as a theme park, though. The only time you'll see an USH commercial is when a new ride comes out, which is rare, or for Halloween and Christmas. They barely have any billboard promotions, unlike Disneyland who has a ton of them around LA. They know what's up, and Californians know what's up as well. We know it's a movie studio and we treat it as such. We don't expect much from the theme park aspect because we know it's not really important. Universal knows its guests look at it as a studio first. It's an understanding.
I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. Transformers billboards are still around Southern California right now, just like there's Cars Land billboards everywhere. Disneyland doesn't really have any billboards "just because" - they're always advertising the newest attraction and/or holiday event… just like USH.

USH is absolutely a movie studio first, but they're definitely taking a big step toward growing the theme park side of things, too, with Despicable Me, Potter, and whatever else Comcast has lined up to come in.

Californian Elitist

I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. Transformers billboards are still around Southern California right now, just like there's Cars Land billboards everywhere. Disneyland doesn't really have any billboards "just because" - they're always advertising the newest attraction and/or holiday event… just like USH.

USH is absolutely a movie studio first, but they're definitely taking a big step toward growing the theme park side of things, too, with Despicable Me, Potter, and whatever else Comcast has lined up to come in.

Yeah they're around, but there aren't a lot of them. Those that are up and around the city advertise ticket deals and that's it. Even by USH, there's a large, electric DLR billboard. You won't find an USH billboard by the DLR. If there's one, I haven't seen it. They are rare.

True, they're putting more things into the park. Did you notice though, if you've seen their billion dollar, twenty year plan, the emphasis on their plans for the backlot? The plans mentioned new attractions as well, but they weren't specific. They kept talking about putting real estate around he backlot (idea now scrapped) and how they're going to put new scenes in the backlot... New production buildings... They love their beloved backlot. It'll always be first priority, even after Potter and Despicable Me open.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMHO, It's OK to be disturbed, frustrated, angry or saddened by the current state of WDW and still be complimentary of something built there. Very simply put, it doesn't have to be black or white there are many shades of grey (more than 50 even;)). Sometimes I get the feeling that some people just need to find a negative spin on every single thing related to WDW now. Like if you say something positive you are out of the club or something. On the flip side many people refuse to acknowledge any problems at all and feel the need to attack anyone who is negative. This cycle seems to continue indefinitely.

Here's my 2 cents on all of this. The area looks really nice. Shows that Disney still has the ability to create high quality things. Sure I would like it to be a new E ticket ride instead of bathrooms, but it's not. It is what it is which is a nicely themed bathroom area with some seating and shade. A good add to the park. Not every thing needs to be a potter swatter or a new reason to visit the parks. I am as frustrated as anyone with the decline in maintenance standards, cutbacks on hours and the lack of new attractions worth seeing. Despite all of that I still acknowledge this area looks great.

Genie of the Lamp

IMHO, It's OK to be disturbed, frustrated, angry or saddened by the current state of WDW and still be complimentary of something built there. Very simply put, it doesn't have to be black or white there are many shades of grey (more than 50 even;)). Sometimes I get the feeling that some people just need to find a negative spin on every single thing related to WDW now. Like if you say something positive you are out of the club or something. On the flip side many people refuse to acknowledge any problems at all and feel the need to attack anyone who is negative. This cycle seems to continue indefinitely.

Here's my 2 cents on all of this. The area looks really nice. Shows that Disney still has the ability to create high quality things. Sure I would like it to be a new E ticket ride instead of bathrooms, but it's not. It is what it is which is a nicely themed bathroom area with some seating and shade. A good add to the park. Not every thing needs to be a potter swatter or a new reason to visit the parks. I am as frustrated as anyone with the decline in maintenance standards, cutbacks on hours and the lack of new attractions worth seeing. Despite all of that I still acknowledge this area looks great.

Well said Goof.:) I'm with ya on this one. It's like the lyrics in that one song "you can't always get what you want. You can't always get what you ask for. But if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need". Has anyone been able to find a nightime vid of this area yet with a filmer actually being/setting foot in this area?

WDW97

Is it necessary to have 5 different types of fencing in such a small area, I think they were a little confused on this whole thing.

Ignohippo

To me, it seems like refurb/facade work to "old" Fantasyland gets done to make everything cohesive there is done when Dwarfs train ride opens next year...Then a big Tomorrowland redo (2015-2018ish) is done before MK 50th. Just guessing...

I doubt it. They just did pretty major exterior work on IASW and Peter Pan. Sadly, I'm afraid the tent look will be around for a while (which doesn't match the grandure of new Fantasyland or the Tangled toyties at all).

I also believe the new Princess M&G facade matches that horrible tent look as well.

It's almost like going to the rich area of the city and suddenly finding yourself in the slums. ( : D ) Ironically, the old "tent" area is supposed to be inside the castle walls and should actually look nicer.

TP2000

USF was not built as a "fake movie studio," it was built as a working studio AND theme park. Also, filming/other production work still takes place there. They aren't Hollywood blockbusters or a CSI, but things still happen.

I read that and said "Really???". I checked out Universal's website, and you are correct. Although the, um, pace of production at the Orlando facility has nearly trickled to a halt from its modest 1988 launch. According to Universal, they've been filming some scenes for movies there at the pace of about one per year. http://studio.florida.universalstudios.com/aboutus.php

The last movie filmed at Universal Orlando was in 2011, something called "Tooth Fairy 2", which according to the Interweb was a direct-to-DVD film starring Larry The Cable Guy.

But your point is valid; there is still active filming taking place on the Universal Orlando property. In very, very modest amounts. I honestly had no idea. :oops:

BryceM

I read that and said "Really???". I checked out Universal's website, and you are correct. Although the, um, pace of production at the Orlando facility has nearly trickled to a halt from its modest 1988 launch. According to Universal, they've been filming some scenes for movies there at the pace of about one per year. http://studio.florida.universalstudios.com/aboutus.php

The last movie filmed at Universal Orlando was in 2011, something called "Tooth Fairy 2", which according to the Interweb was a direct-to-DVD film starring Larry The Cable Guy.

But your point is valid; there is still active filming taking place on the Universal Orlando property. In very, very modest amounts. I honestly had no idea. :oops:
I think it's safe to say that Universal Studios Florida and Universal Studios Hollywood are completely different parks. In Hollywood, it's more about being on the real, working backlot where countless feature films were produced. In Florida, it's more about the theme park where guests can explore extremely detailed themed lands such as New York and Hollywood. As I stated before, only one small portion of USF focuses on being a working movie studio, and that's "Production Central".

And Tooth Fairy 2? With Larry the Cable Guy?! That sounds... Interesting.. Hahahaha.

jt04

I doubt it. They just did pretty major exterior work on IASW and Peter Pan. Sadly, I'm afraid the tent look will be around for a while (which doesn't match the grandure of new Fantasyland or the Tangled toyties at all).

I also believe the new Princess M&G facade matches that horrible tent look as well.

It's almost like going to the rich area of the city and suddenly finding yourself in the slums. ( : D ) Ironically, the old "tent" area is supposed to be inside the castle walls and should actually look nicer.

That would be disappointing but we will know soon. The tents will look especially bad after the mountain is completed.

I am holding on to the thought that the work done to the facades in recent years involved engineering work for new facades that are up to the new standard.

Lee

Adventurer
Yes. Everything "inside the walls" will keep the "tent" design, and will not be changed to match the newer work.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fantasyland-rendering3.jpg

nc_disneyfreak

just watched the you tube video of the walkthrough and the restroom area looks amazing....im going to drink alot of coke so i can use them lol...otherwise id be some random dude scoping out a mens bathroom.:confused:

jt04

Yes. Everything "inside the walls" will keep the "tent" design, and will not be changed to match the newer work.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fantasyland-rendering3.jpg

Remember there was a rumor that this is a "temporary" location for the M&Gs and that eventually they will receive permanent homes in FL. I will be more interested to see what happens to the PPF façade when the work starts on that project next.

That will be the real indicator of the long range plans for the 1970's tent aesthetic. I am betting the tents are going away by the 50th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom