Tangled restrooms opening date

NemoRocks78

Seized
Meanwhile, in Orlando, they have built a fake "Movie Studio" in the form of a late 20th century theme park. Nothing related to the actual movie business ever happens there, it's all just fake and for show. The convenient thing is that they can build new rides and save a ton of money by themeing their buildings as "studios" in a pretend environment. It's quite a different thing, really.
USF was not built as a "fake movie studio," it was built as a working studio AND theme park. Also, filming/other production work still takes place there. They aren't Hollywood blockbusters or a CSI, but things still happen.

jt04

This new area has to be seen as just a part of the reimagining of the MK's FL. In that context it is a truly amazing, and essential, addition. It will allow FL to have more attractions in the future because it will be able to handle the crowds. Sort of like building parking structures at DTD before a major build out.

Now it is a matter of adding similar details to the other areas in FL that have not received this treatment. I expect the new M&G façade to be equally impressive. Fortunately it appeared prefurb work was already accomplished at both IaSW and PPF. So FL does not have that far to go.

Then they can start on the other lands. :)

DisneyGuyNYC

This new area has to be seen as just a part of the reimagining of the MK's FL. In that context it is a truly amazing, and essential, addition. It will allow FL to have more attractions in the future because it will be able to handle the crowds. Sort of like building parking structures at DTD before a major build out.

Now it is a matter of adding similar details to the other areas in FL that have not received this treatment. I expect the new M&G façade to be equally impressive. Fortunately it appeared prefurb work was already accomplished at both IaSW and PPF. So FL does not have that far to go.

Let's hope. They also need to pick up the pace. I know some people might see this as nitpicking (see the psycho above) but why does it take them so long to do these? I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just wondering why a complete retheming of FL, if it's going to happen, hasn't been announced and if we should expect it to take another couple years.

Honestly i'd rather they get right to work on Tomorrowland. That place needs some TLC stat.

BryceM

USF was not built as a "fake movie studio," it was built as a working studio AND theme park. Also, filming/other production work still takes place there. They aren't Hollywood blockbusters or a CSI, but things still happen.
Exactly. It's a little ridiculous to say that nothing is filmed or happens at Universal Studios Florida. The things filmed there just aren't on the same caliber as in Hollywood.

BryceM

Meanwhile, in Orlando, they have built a fake "Movie Studio" in the form of a late 20th century theme park. Nothing related to the actual movie business ever happens there, it's all just fake and for show. The convenient thing is that they can build new rides and save a ton of money by themeing their buildings as "studios" in a pretend environment. It's quite a different thing, really.
Only one small section of the park is themed to being a movie studio, and that is Production Central, which, in fact, still has things filmed there.

DisneyGuyNYC

Exactly. It's a little ridiculous to say that nothing is filmed or happens at Universal Studios Florida. The things filmed there just aren't on the same caliber as in Hollywood.
I think it's important to note that it IS a theme park first and foremost whereas USF is more of a balance.

Clamman73

To me, it seems like refurb/facade work to "old" Fantasyland gets done to make everything cohesive there is done when Dwarfs train ride opens next year...Then a big Tomorrowland redo (2015-2018ish) is done before MK 50th. Just guessing...

DisneyGuyNYC

To me, it seems like refurb/facade work to "old" Fantasyland land gets done to make everything cohesive there is done when Dwarfs train ride opens next year...Then a big Tomorrowland redo (2015-2018ish) is done before MK 50th. Just guessing...
I would be okay with that. Hopefully the 2015-2018 portion includes some new E-Tickets for TL. Even just one. If it takes until 2018 I hope it's a complete reworking á la DisneySea steampunk style! Or Apple Store chic.

BryceM

I think it's important to note that it IS a theme park first and foremost whereas USO is more of a balance.
Yep, its a more dedicated "theme" park, considering only Production Central is based around a studio. That leaves New York, San Francisco, Hollywood, KidZone, Springfield, London and World Expo for themed lands that do not even try to give off the falsity of being a working movie studio. I can definitely see the draw to USH, and I hope to visit someday, but USF is much stronger as a theme park, delivering actual immersively themed environments (except for stupid KidZone, blech).

Next Big Thing

What do you expect? They do what they can for being in Florida...but that's just it. The studio is location in Orlando, Florida. Being in the middle of the state is tough for a studio away from Hollywood. There's no enticing "on location" areas to film close by such as beaches, etc.

DisneyGuyNYC

Yep, its a more dedicated "theme" park, considering only Production Central is based around a studio. That leaves New York, San Francisco, Hollywood, KidZone, Springfield, London and World Expo for themed lands that do not even try to give off the falsity of being a working movie studio. I can definitely see the draw to USH, and I hope to visit someday, but USF is much stronger as a theme park, delivering actual immersively themed environments (except for stupid KidZone, blech).
Blah I meant to type USC! Hahaha whoops. I agree though.

DisneyGuyNYC

What do you expect? They do what they can for being in Florida...but that's just it. The studio is location in Orlando, Florida. Being in the middle of the state is tough for a studio away from Hollywood. There's no enticing "on location" areas to film close by such as beaches, etc.
I'm surprised they don't use it more considering how much TV they shoot "on location" that is very difficult to set up... then I remember it's central Florida and it's not picnic. Hm.

At least they got Newsies out of it!

BryceM

Blah I meant to type USC! Hahaha whoops. I agree though.
No, you were right. It's Universal Studios Hollywood, but in Florida, it's called Universal Studios Florida! I think it's to avoid confusion because the whole resort is called Universal Orlando, and it would be weird to have "Universal Studios Orlando" in Universal Orlando Resort.

DisneyGuyNYC

No, you were right. It's Universal Studios Hollywood, but in Florida, it's called Universal Studios Florida! I think it's to avoid confusion because the whole resort is called Universal Orlando, and it would be weird to have "Universal Studios Orlando" in Universal Orlando Resort.
Ah okay. Not a huge Universal follower (love the park and been a million times though) so I'm just figuring out the lingo.

Californian Elitist

USH doesn't try very hard to promote themselves as a theme park, though. The only time you'll see an USH commercial is when a new ride comes out, which is rare, or for Halloween and Christmas. They barely have any billboard promotions, unlike Disneyland who has a ton of them around LA. They know what's up, and Californians know what's up as well. We know it's a movie studio and we treat it as such. We don't expect much from the theme park aspect because we know it's not really important. Universal knows its guests look at it as a studio first. It's an understanding.

BryceM

USH doesn't try very hard to promote themselves as a theme park, though. The only time you'll see an USH commercial is when a new ride comes out, which is rare, or for Halloween and Christmas. They barely have any billboard promotions, unlike Disneyland who has a ton of them around LA. They know what's up, and Californians know what's up as well. We know it's a movie studio and we treat it as such. We don't expect much from the theme park aspect because we know it's not really important. Universal knows its guests look at it as a studio first. It's an understanding.
I know. I was just saying its unreasonable to claim that USF is a faux movie studio when it also doesn't promote itself as working movie studio, haha.

DisneyGuyNYC

Newsies was shot at the Universal Studios lot in Hollywood.
Wikipedia (I know, I know, but I'm CERTAIN I've read this elsewhere) says: "The Walt Disney Company's original concept of the Disney-MGM Studios was to operate it as a full fledged television and motion picture production facility, not just a theme park. In 1988, among the first feature-length movies filmed at the facility, prior to its completion and opening as a theme park, were Ernest Saves Christmas and Newsies."

Is this untrue? Was it only partially shot there? I always felt magical walking where Newsies was shot... (even though I liv ein NYC where a million things are shot and I spit on that ground, haha).

Californian Elitist

Wikipedia (I know, I know, but I'm CERTAIN I've read this elsewhere) says: "The Walt Disney Company's original concept of the Disney-MGM Studios was to operate it as a full fledged television and motion picture production facility, not just a theme park. In 1988, among the first feature-length movies filmed at the facility, prior to its completion and opening as a theme park, were Ernest Saves Christmas and Newsies."

Is this untrue? Was it only partially shot there? I always felt magical walking where Newsies was shot... (even though I liv ein NYC where a million things are shot and I spit on that ground, haha).

I went to a D23 event for a Newsies screening. Kenny Ortega was there (the director), as well as some of the cast and they reminisced about shooting and filming on Universal's backlot in Hollywood and how hot it was that summer and blah blah blah. It was quite interesting. They said they shot it in the New York section of the backlot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom